PwC London Assurance Business Units- which one to go for? Watch

Ellipses
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi there,

Could anyone working at PwC at the moment give me an insight into life in LTT, LMT, I&IM and B&CM? The hours, travel, colleagues, clients....

Thanks very much!
snakesnake
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ellipses)
Hi there,

Could anyone working at PwC at the moment give me an insight into life in LTT, LMT, I&IM and B&CM? The hours, travel, colleagues, clients....

Thanks very much!
Although I work in a different Big Four, I believe I can still pitch in:

Broadly you can separate your audit into either corporate clients or financial services clients (plus public sector but that's a different story).

I presume B&CM refers to banking and capital markets, the rest I'm not sure what they've stuck into those acronyms. If there's one word of advice I would give to an incoming auditor then it is to avoid financial services and specifically banking audit like the plague unless it really interests you for whatever reason. This is because you'll be working banking hours (which are long) for audit pay (which is not that amazing). Plus you're mostly just testing processes within these massive banking organizations (I've heard of people being on the same massive banking group almost all year around). You will be doing some ridiculous hours. Clients will mostly be central London/Canary Wharf based.

On corporate clients however you actually get to see how the numbers pull together into a revenue/cost line on the P&L or a balance on the balance sheet. The hours can vary as can the client location and this even within different parts of the same client so it really is hard to predict. If you're lucky you can get away with relatively decent hours.

Don't delude yourself into thinking however that you'll become an expert in the industry you're auditing. This might be the case for manager level and above but for a junior it makes much less difference what your client does since at the end of the day you're doing bank recs and invoice ticking anyway, though you can get some industry specific knowledge.

Hope this helps.
Classical Liberal
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Advice above is good. Go with corporate clients, shorter hours and learn more about how corporations work (rather than bizarre and often irrelevant (outside of auditing) technicalities of auditing banks, pension funds, insurance).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.52%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.82%
No I am happy with my course choice (497)
59.24%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.42%

Watched Threads