The Student Room Group

Does anyone know the procedure for appealing for grades?

I've worked very hard all year but I feel as if I deserve a higher grade than what I'm getting. Whats the deal with appealing to exam boards? Is there much point?
What do you mean?
If there's an issue in the immediate period around exams, you can apply for special considerations which may change your score slightly. If you get your grades and you're unhappy, you can ask for the exam papers back and/or get them remarked, but it costs about £50 a paper for a remark and the grade may not even change.
Reply 2
Original post by Rosehc
I've worked very hard all year but I feel as if I deserve a higher grade than what I'm getting. Whats the deal with appealing to exam boards? Is there much point?

I'm not certain what you mean. If you have a temporary issue (e.g. an illness or the death of a close family member close to the exam date then you can ask th school to put in for special consideration. This raises your mark by a maximum of 5%, though that is rare. Alternativly, if, when you get your results, you feel a unit may have been mismarked you can pay (via your school) for a re-mark. It costs £33-£55 per unit andthere is no guarantee the mark will change - most don't and sometimes it goes down. Both of these have to be done for each exam.

Quick Reply

Latest