The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Computer Science First Year - will I need a printer?

Bank Holiday bargains coming up and wondered if should buy a small printer, as my home one is way too large to bring. Can any current Computer Science students say whether I'd need a printer? Thanks in advance.
Just finishing my first year of compsci, no you don't. The only thing that I've needed to print the whole year was our group coursework for software engineering, and there are loads of printers in the library for that kind of stuff. You probably won't be using it regularly enough to warrant getting your own (plus chances are someone else in your accommodation will have one you can borrow).
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Thanks very much for your reply; that's one less cost!
Reply 3
Original post by maxamilius291
Just finishing my first year of compsci, no you don't. The only thing that I've needed to print the whole year was our group coursework for software engineering, and there are loads of printers in the library for that kind of stuff. You probably won't be using it regularly enough to warrant getting your own (plus chances are someone else in your accommodation will have one you can borrow).

What do yo think of the course? Are the lectures good and are the staff available and helpful? What have you liked most? Is there anything that has disapponted you or to be wary of?
Thanks.
Original post by Hildahen
What do yo think of the course? Are the lectures good and are the staff available and helpful? What have you liked most? Is there anything that has disapponted you or to be wary of?
Thanks.

Wow, lots of questions. Love the course. Lectures very much depends on the subject being taught and who your lecturer is, some are definitely better than others (not gonna say names, I'll let you form your own opinions on them).

Favourite part of the course was definitely programming, the courseworks for it are pretty big and its really satisfying completing a big project and having a working program that you're proud of and can show to people. Most units are fairly coursework heavy, which I like because it forces you to keep busy throughout the year and takes some of the pressure off exams. Just don't leave them till the last minute.

Not many disappointments, theres one unit I find really dull but thats just personal preference. There aren't very many course socials, so I haven't got to know that many people on my course, just the few I sit with in lectures, my main friends here are my flatmates. Again, this may or may not bother you, depends how social you are / enjoy going out.

Things to be wary of - don't leave coursework to the last minute, start when they're set. You often don't realise how big they are until you get going. For exams, the systems architecture and software engineering exams in particular have A LOT of content to learn, so bear that in mind when planning revision (having just finished my software engineering exam this morning I wish I'd done this :frown:)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks. That's good to know. Hope the exams all go well for you.
If you haven't done much programming before the course starts do you think it matters?
Nope, they teach as if you've never programmed (there are advanced labs for the people who have though). Having some programming experience definitely does put you at an advantage though, we use Java so if you do try to learn, I'd suggest learning that.
Reply 7
Sorry to hijack this thread so late, but are there any recommendations in terms of equipment to bring for comp sci?

Also debating getting a new laptop so any recommendations for a machine capable of performing well for uni work & programming would be helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest