ellenpenny
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Do people find that uni's general are really bad for support? Academic or Non-academic and disability? I have a problem (sorry, its long, but wanted it to make sense) regarding disability, and feel like I'm unsupported. I would just like to know if anyone is in the same position, or has been. Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in Yr1 and registered with disability and dyslexia support (DDS)for a physical disability and mental health issues linked - the main one being anxiety. I am registered with the DDS, and have been since late April / early June last lear in prep for the year to begin.

I have only needed help with the library. I have never had to use a library, and my uni have a complicated library system, and isn't the most direct building to get around, long-term neuro issues, this makes it harder for me to find my way around and understand complex number and letter systems, everything this library has.

Early september, I had a Disabled Students Allowance Assessment. it was agreed that I could have one on one tutorials on how to use the library, from getting there, to finding the book, and taking out/returning. I contacted my DDS asking for this to be arranged, and they said they would. I did not hear from them, so asked them again after a week, again, they said they would arrange them. (cut to the chase) I have sent over 10 emails, some not answered, some saying the same old story to my DDS mentor, 5 emails and a few phone calls to the DDS general email and still nothing. I have now gone to my course tutor and course director, and they are also not able to help, as they don't know what else to suggest. Not being able to get relevant resources (web is good, but not the best resource), this is having an affect on my grade. I have asked my friends for help, but as much as they try (and I'm grateful for), I would need repetitive sessions and help, which they are unable to do, and its not even their job!
I can't believe its nearly May and still no help!
Thank you for taking the time to read this, I appreciate this is long... Just didn't want people to think that I'm at uni without a good reason not to have a useful skill of using a library.
Cblivall93l
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Which Uni are you at may I ask?
I'm a first year wheelchair user at UWE Frenchay Campus and I've found that my Disability Advisor has been brilliant when sorting out the issues. I can't access the two top floors of the building I'm in and can only access the first floor of the Library since my wheelchair is too big.

Claire
ellenpenny
Rep:
?
Hi thanks for your reply!
I'm at LSBU. I was beginning to think that I was expecting too much as coming from a really supportive collage who were a great help with everything I needed. As you're probably aware from previous posts, they're not great on organisation skills, but asking for help from September and still nothing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
JaneKent
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i suggest you contact your student union for help, they will be aware how you can complain, your university sounds dreadful.
Cblivall93l
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ellenpenny)
Hi thanks for your reply!
I'm at LSBU. I was beginning to think that I was expecting too much as coming from a really supportive collage who were a great help with everything I needed. As you're probably aware from previous posts, they're not great on organisation skills, but asking for help from September and still nothing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're welcome.
Just had to look that University up quickly as I didn't recognise it. Hell no! You aren't expecting too much as you have a right to have the help that you need from the start.
That is bad on the University's part since they have an duty (not sure if that's the right word) to make sure that every student can get the most out of their education as best as possible. I haven't read you're other posts but it sounds like they need to get their act into gear.
ellenpenny
Rep:
?
Thanks you for the replies! I asked for a complaints procedure, nothing (no reply and someone at student Union was clueless).
Plucked up the courage to go to the library today on my own - causing increase in anxiety. And I feel like its my fault cause this could have been sorted September / October, and am I trying hard enough to get attention *self doubt*
Shame really about the uni - LOVE my course & everyone involved in course, but everything outside course ie this and accommodation has been terrible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cblivall93l
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks you for the replies! I asked for a complaints procedure, nothing (no reply and someone at student Union was clueless).
Plucked up the courage to go to the library today on my own - causing increase in anxiety. And I feel like its my fault cause this could have been sorted September / October, and am I trying hard enough to get attention *self doubt*
Shame really about the uni - LOVE my course & everyone involved in course, but everything outside course ie this and accommodation has been terrible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm. I'm not surprised about the person at Student Union being clueless to be honest.
Shot out of the dark but do you have a APT?
Oh god that's really not good. It's NOT Your Fault. Yes it probably would have been easier but there's nothing you can do if the uni doesn't respond.

Which course are you on out of interest?
Ha. The accommodation at UWE Frenchay was pants when it came to disabled students. I'm living with my parents and they're driving me in every day.
ellenpenny
Rep:
?
May I ask what is an APT? I have a personal tutor who is aware of all of this going on, and I'm doing occupational therapy, which in a way is nice because all the tutors understand all my conditions, which wouldn't be the case on any other course (probably).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cblivall93l
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
May I ask what is an APT? I have a personal tutor who is aware of all of this going on, and I'm doing occupational therapy, which in a way is nice because all the tutors understand all my conditions, which wouldn't be the case on any other course (probably).

Posted from TSR Mobile
APT stands for Academic Personal Tutor. Ah fair enough. Has you tried asking your tutor to send an email to them? I know that my disability advisor and my programme leader/tutor had to interact alot with each other. Having tutors who understand your conditions is always a bonus.
ellenpenny
Rep:
?
They've also been in contact. I know it doesn't make it right, but I think the DDS have a lot of cases and not enough DDS advisors. I'm running out of ideas and feel I've done everything! And yeah, tutors are really understanding, and have been a big help with adapting manual handling training ect and liaising with placement staff so I'm getting needed support. Like I said, tutors and cohort have been amazing! That's a positive for LSBU!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.13%
No (216)
76.87%

Watched Threads