Crez251
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I've got a degree in Art & have spent several years working as a graphic designer. I have always enjoyed helping & teaching others & now wish to train to become a teacher... However I don't want to teach in a secondary school I want to teach in higher education, ie an art college. I would like to do a PGCE, but is that the right route to be able to apply for college teaching posts? I've been out of education now for quite a while so I'm a bit lost on how it all works now & am looking for any advice or guidance on how to go about applying for a PGCE etc. thank you in advance
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Think you do, yes. You'd be looking at the 14-19 PGCE I believe (which would also enable you to teach some secondary in future if you ever wanted/needed to). However, if there are better options than this for teaching art at college level I'm sure others will be along soon to advise you.
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can do a 16+ PGCE (although some universities call it FE, Lifelong Learning or Post-compulsory PGCE).
Crez251
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Brill, thanks so much for the replies, very much appreciated
Is it a bit late to apply for a September 2015 start, or should I realistically be aiming for September 2016 now?
SuperWolfPaws
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
not really, look up 'city and gulids' 'teaching in the lifelong learning sector'. I 'm sure they do certificates so you can teach young adults. sorry i' m not totally clued up on it , you may have to google
Asolare
Badges: 20
Report 6 years ago
You don't need it, no
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Crez251)
Brill, thanks so much for the replies, very much appreciated
Is it a bit late to apply for a September 2015 start, or should I realistically be aiming for September 2016 now?
It might be if you're wanting to do it at a university but if you do it at a partnership college, were you do the PGCE and your placement at an FE college with the PGCE accredited by a university, you might be able to apply for this September now (although I do strongly suggest doing some research on the college and how they run the course first as both me and one of my friends had poor experiences at different colleges doing it this way). You could also apply later on in the year via clearance.

(Original post by SuperWolfPaws)
not really, look up 'city and gulids' 'teaching in the lifelong learning sector'. I 'm sure they do certificates so you can teach young adults. sorry i' m not totally clued up on it , you may have to google
This used to be the case but most FE colleges ask for a PGCE now or at least want a tutor to be working towards it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.75%
Uncertainty around my education (86)
11.5%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (80)
10.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (96)
12.83%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.21%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (42)
5.61%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (81)
10.83%
Financial worries (50)
6.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.28%
Exposure to negative news/social media (46)
6.15%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.21%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (71)
9.49%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (58)
7.75%

Watched Threads