The Student Room Group

I'm so scared of failing my as levels.

not being big headed but I've always managed to just scrape through my exams without putting any effort in, I tried so much harder this year when I started AS levels but I feel so unprepared for my exams which begin in two weeks.
I got 1 a 2 b's and a c in my mocks which I was pleased with but I think the teachers marked them way too high, I had also attempted a few of the questions before so I don't feel that it was an accurate representation of what I will actually achieve.
Also was just doing a past paper for history and came across a question which I literally had no clue on how to answer.
I feel so unprepared and have so much content/exam skills to learn in such little time. Some of my teachers haven't even finished teaching the content yet lol.
Anyone else in the same position as me or am I just a flop?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _sara
not being big headed but I've always managed to just scrape through my exams without putting any effort in, I tried so much harder this year when I started AS levels but I feel so unprepared for my exams which begin in two weeks.
I got 1 a 2 b's and a c in my mocks which I was pleased with but I think the teachers marked them way too high, I had also attempted a few of the questions before so I don't feel that it was an accurate representation of what I will actually achieve.
Also was just doing a past paper for history and came across a question which I literally had no clue on how to answer.
I feel so unprepared and have so much content/exam skills to learn in such little time. Some of my teachers haven't even finished teaching the content yet lol.

Don't worry about it :smile: You still have time, and all you can do is work as hard as you can now rather than stress out. The best thing for you to do is probably have a look at past paper questions or maybe ask your teachers what potential questions may come up and look at how you'd plan and/or answer those questions.

Also, look at the mark schemes and make a list of the key things you need to include. It may sound boring, but you may realise a certain thing you aren't looking at currently.

I am doing my A2s but I'm also looking at past papers and thinking: "How am I going to answer that???" But remain calm and, if you need to, use your notes to try these questions. Although you won't have your notes in the exam, the same question may come up and if you've attempted to answer it in practice it'll be a lot easier.

Remember A Levels aren't the be all and end all. I'm sure you'll do well, but if not it is always possible to retake so don't worry too much!

All the best for your exams! :smile:
Original post by _sara

The best revision tools are past papers and mark schemes. You can never do too many past papers. :yep: They allow you to understand the structure of the exam, the timing and the difference in question difficulties.

As exams are close, keep going through past papers in timed conditions. Go through the papers with the mark scheme highlighting key areas that you struggle with. Write and rewrite model answers for long questions.

If you're studying sciences/maths make sure you understand the mechanisms fully, so that you can apply the same method to each question. Practise looking at long questions and picking out the key information needed to answer the question as some subjects, such as chemistry, have long-winded questions with lots of numbers that make it look confusing! Learning how to identify and use the relevant information is a skill that comes from past paper practise.

What subjects are you taking and what do you hope to do after A-levels?
Original post by _sara

You're not alone; I feel exactly the same and I'm really starting to panic now :x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just trust yourself and know that you can do it... Past papers man they're your friends 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by fluzzles98
You're not alone; I feel exactly the same and I'm really starting to panic now :x

Posted from TSR Mobile

The stress is unbelievable!! Hopefully we'll both do well though x
Original post by _sara
The stress is unbelievable!! Hopefully we'll both do well though x

I know, the stress is horrible :/ I hope so too, it'll hopefully end up being much better than we both expect! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got CCDE in mocks and AABD in exams :-) STOP STRESSING have u found a way that u can learn the content

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by TheStudent18
The best revision tools are past papers and mark schemes. You can never do too many past papers. :yep: They allow you to understand the structure of the exam, the timing and the difference in question difficulties.

As exams are close, keep going through past papers in timed conditions. Go through the papers with the mark scheme highlighting key areas that you struggle with. Write and rewrite model answers for long questions.

If you're studying sciences/maths make sure you understand the mechanisms fully, so that you can apply the same method to each question. Practise looking at long questions and picking out the key information needed to answer the question as some subjects, such as chemistry, have long-winded questions with lots of numbers that make it look confusing! Learning how to identify and use the relevant information is a skill that comes from past paper practise.

What subjects are you taking and what do you hope to do after A-levels?

Thank you so much for an in-depth answer an advise.
Unfortunately I am not clever enough to be doing science and maths subjects but I study History, government and politics, economics and philosophy and ethics.
I hope to go to uni after a levels and either study history along with politics or law.
Reply 9
Original post by swagyolo420
I got CCDE in mocks and AABD in exams :-) STOP STRESSING have u found a way that u can learn the content

Posted from TSR Mobile

hahaha cheers, they're amazing results well done!!
Original post by _sara
Thank you so much for an in-depth answer an advise.
Unfortunately I am not clever enough to be doing science and maths subjects but I study History, government and politics, economics and philosophy and ethics.
I hope to go to uni after a levels and either study history along with politics or law.

Nonsense.

You are clever enough and those subjects you have chosen aren't exactly an easy bunch!

Remember you have to do what interests you. The only reason I used an example including science was because that's what I have experience in. So if you like economics, politics and history, it doesn't make you any less clever than someone studying pure STEM subjects. :yep:

I hope you do well in your A-levels and get onto the course you want.
Original post by _sara
hahaha cheers, they're amazing results well done!!

I think your mocks are great and you will only improve in your exams. I have my A2s in less than a month and its FREAKIN TERRIFYING but i feel more prepared than last year. You know alot more than u are letting urself believe cus i felt just like u felt. Its just da nerves be positive, u still got time to keep going over stuff. Infact lots of people benefit greatly from learning everything nearer the exam period

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're not the only one, I'm panicking too. My recent result was not that disastrous, I passed all my mocks with pretty good grades indeed, but the subject I was confident about was the subject I did worst. And I start to regret not putting more efforts into it. I'm really really scared that it's gonna happen to the real exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg please tell me what you did! I'm aiming for the results you got as in my mocks I got CDDD :frown: also what subjects did you do? Well done!
Original post by fallingleaves97
Omg please tell me what you did! I'm aiming for the results you got as in my mocks I got CDDD :frown: also what subjects did you do? Well done!

Better than me then!!:smile: i really dont know, i only serious started revising around this time last year so keep positive if u feel like its not going im it wont:frown: have u found a way u to study that u like yet??
I did law english language, history and economics (D in eco:tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Better than me then!!:smile: i really dont know, i only serious started revising around this time last year so keep positive if u feel like its not going im it wont:frown: have u found a way u to study that u like yet??
I did law english language, history and economics (D in eco:tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey but at least you got two C's!:biggrin: Hmm I do feel its going in which is good but it's just scary cos its all so soon and everyone fears failing! I've found that flashcards and writing the key sections out in different colours really help me:eek: what about you? and wow thats so good! I'm doing english language at the moment too :tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by TheStudent18
Nonsense.

You are clever enough and those subjects you have chosen aren't exactly an easy bunch!

Remember you have to do what interests you. The only reason I used an example including science was because that's what I have experience in. So if you like economics, politics and history, it doesn't make you any less clever than someone studying pure STEM subjects. :yep:

I hope you do well in your A-levels and get onto the course you want.

ahh thank you so much!
Reply 17
Original post by penguinpenny
You're not the only one, I'm panicking too. My recent result was not that disastrous, I passed all my mocks with pretty good grades indeed, but the subject I was confident about was the subject I did worst. And I start to regret not putting more efforts into it. I'm really really scared that it's gonna happen to the real exam.

I'm sure you'll be fine if you recent result was good, but yeah this is so stressful!! Hopefully we'll both do great though
Original post by fallingleaves97
Hey but at least you got two C's!:biggrin: Hmm I do feel its going in which is good but it's just scary cos its all so soon and everyone fears failing! I've found that flashcards and writing the key sections out in different colours really help me:eek: what about you? and wow thats so good! I'm doing english language at the moment too :tongue:

I just write out my notes over and over (after condensing of course:-) oh awesome what english exam board u on??

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just write out my notes over and over (after condensing of course:-) oh awesome what english exam board u on??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh yesss!! and wjec you? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest