The Student Room Group

What's a reasonable length of time to stay in a job you hate?

I got my first graduate post in early December. I never really intended to do it for long, and if I'm honest it's not the job for me. I'm forcing myself to stick it out a year. I'm scared that any less and I'll look like a quitter to future employers. Or is that just me being cautious? Does it look bad to leave a first job so soon, especially as it's the only experience I'll have. Is it worth gritting my teeth through the next 6 months just so I'll have something decent on my cv?
You'd be best off sticking it out until you can find another job to take up elsewhere. Once you've got a job lined up you can then hand in your notice and you won't miss out on the income or have a gap on your CV. That is the best of both worlds.
Original post by JB​
You'd be best off sticking it out until you can find another job to take up elsewhere. Once you've got a job lined up you can then hand in your notice and you won't miss out on the income or have a gap on your CV. That is the best of both worlds.

Oh no I'd never just leave without another job. I suppose I was wondering whether to start looking yet, because on my cv I have only been at my current job 5 months and prospective employers may think I'm flaky or move on all the time.
The amount of time it takes you to pay off your debts, or pay your bills :indiff:
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Oh no I'd never just leave without another job. I suppose I was wondering whether to start looking yet, because on my cv I have only been at my current job 5 months and prospective employers may think I'm flaky or move on all the time.

This will depend entirely on how you justify it. If you move because you fear that your career progression is being limited at this current company then leaving early on is a good thing. It is smarter to leave and continue to professionally develop as opposed to just go along with things. If I were you I'd stick it out and then look to leave at around the year mark however unless you have a better opportunity lined up. If you do, take it.
Until you find another
9 years
For me, when I'm looking at applications, it depends on a few things.

1) Is this the nth time you've changed jobs in the last few years? (normally signals that you'll leave pretty sharpish, either because you don't work well or you're unbearable to work with)

2) Does the sector that you're coming from relate to the one you're applying too? (For instance, going from a care home to the NHS is not massively surprising after a few months. Going to the NHS from a vets surgery is slightly odd and could indicate a lack of interest)

3) Are you moving location or similar reasonable need to move job so quickly?

4) What reason have you put for leaving your last job? (If you've put 'Manager was awful and we didn't get along', that's an alarm bell. If you've put that you want to progress and feel you can't do it there as there's no training facilities, then that's acceptable).

I would say at least 6 months in a job, but if you really hate it and it's making you ill then go as soon as you can and justify it in an appropriate manner. Don't slag your workplace off, but don't say that you're leaving because you can't develop if you can as when your reference comes through they will be honest about why they think you're leaving!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending