dkhangng
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello,

I recently received offer from LSE for my MSc in Accouting and Finance. Besides 2:1, it also asks me for completing 2 courses about accounting (Principles of Accounting and Managerial Accounting and Financial Control) in summer. However I have had a look on the contents of these 2 courses and realized that I have covered these topics in my undergraduate.

I wanna request them to waive this condition and have wrote a letter (arround 200 words as the rules on LSE page). Could you guys please give me opinion about my letter?

Also, I wonder will my 2:1 requirement change to 1st class if the condition is waived?

Please help.

Many thanks,

Here is my letter:

To whom it may concern,

In A-level, I studied Accounting as one of my main modules and achieved A grade providing me with strong foundation of accountancy.

Moreover, as I stated in my personal statement, my first year was in Accounting and Finance course. I learnt the full-year double credit module which was “Introduction to Financial and Management Accounting” equipping me with deep insights in various aspects of accountancy involving financial and management areas. In the first term, the module was mainly about financial accounting covering knowledge in nature and function of accountancy, the producing financial statement for firms in different business size (sole traders, public companies for instances), cash-flow statements and the analysis of financial statements. The second term taught me various topics in management accounting namely cost classification and quality costing, labour and materials, overheads, different costing management, relevant costs for decision making, budgeting and cost control. I acquired 80% in this module affirming my firm knowledge in accounting.

In second year of “Investment and Financial Risk Management” course, I had Company Valuation module that furthered my knowledge in financial statement analysis and using scorecards model. I achieved 94.9% for this module again confirming my strong foundation in accounting basis.

For those reasons above, I believe I have adequate knowledge for studying the MSc Accounting and Finance course at LSE directly. Could you please re-consider the condition of completing the summer course including 2 modules “Principle in Accounting” and “Managerial Accounting and Financial Control” in my offer?

Best regards,
Khang Nguyen
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by dkhangng)
Hello,

I recently received offer from LSE for my MSc in Accouting and Finance. Besides 2:1, it also asks me for completing 2 courses about accounting (Principles of Accounting and Managerial Accounting and Financial Control) in summer. However I have had a look on the contents of these 2 courses and realized that I have covered these topics in my undergraduate.

I wanna request them to waive this condition and have wrote a letter (arround 200 words as the rules on LSE page). Could you guys please give me opinion about my letter?

Also, I wonder will my 2:1 requirement change to 1st class if the condition is waived?

Please help.

Many thanks,

Here is my letter:

To whom it may concern,

In A-level, I studied Accounting as one of my main modules and achieved A grade providing me with strong foundation of accountancy.

Moreover, as I stated in my personal statement, my first year was in Accounting and Finance course. I learnt the full-year double credit module which was “Introduction to Financial and Management Accounting” equipping me with deep insights in various aspects of accountancy involving financial and management areas. In the first term, the module was mainly about financial accounting covering knowledge in nature and function of accountancy, the producing financial statement for firms in different business size (sole traders, public companies for instances), cash-flow statements and the analysis of financial statements. The second term taught me various topics in management accounting namely cost classification and quality costing, labour and materials, overheads, different costing management, relevant costs for decision making, budgeting and cost control. I acquired 80% in this module affirming my firm knowledge in accounting.

In second year of “Investment and Financial Risk Management” course, I had Company Valuation module that furthered my knowledge in financial statement analysis and using scorecards model. I achieved 94.9% for this module again confirming my strong foundation in accounting basis.

For those reasons above, I believe I have adequate knowledge for studying the MSc Accounting and Finance course at LSE directly. Could you please re-consider the condition of completing the summer course including 2 modules “Principle in Accounting” and “Managerial Accounting and Financial Control” in my offer?

Best regards,
Khang Nguyen
Your letter is back-to-front. You only get to the main point in the final paragraph. Whoever reads it will probably have fallen asleep by then.
dkhangng
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Your letter is back-to-front. You only get to the main point in the final paragraph. Whoever reads it will probably have fallen asleep by then.
Many thanks for your opinion.

So I need to bring my request straight to the very first scene. Could you please tell me anything else can I improve this letter?
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Basically, the uni want to make sure that you're at the same level of understanding as other Masters students. As they probably don't know the actual content of your equivalent modules, the way they can ensure this is to have you attend additional courses where they are confident of the content and delivery. Or maybe they see your undergrad uni as potentially weak in these areas. Or maybe they are testing your commitment to the course.

As a comment on your letter, no undergrad module - especially one with the word "Introduction" in the title - will equip you with "deep insights", so I would remove that claim for fear of undermining the credibility of your entire letter. Plus I agree with the previous poster, that you need to say *why* you are writing the letter as an introduction, before launching into your discussion.

You should also bear in mind that LSE is one of the top unis in the UK for your subject. If you demonstrate an unwillingness to comply with their entry requirements, they may feel that you're a bad bet as a candidate and withdraw your offer. There will be plenty of candidates who are willing to follow their instructions. Sending that letter would be a calculated risk.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
From your letter it looks like you're basing your request on part of your first and second years of undergraduate study - ie at least more than a year ago. You haven't shown that you're still up to date with the subject matter. In your post you don't say where you study/studied, they have no way of knowing the content of your modules hence why they asked you to complete the two courses to make sure you're up to speed with the subject matter. I suggest sending that letter, in its current form, would be counterproductive as you're showing them you don't want to meet the conditions of your offer. Very risky. Are you able to do the courses they want?
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Many thanks for your opinion.

So I need to bring my request straight to the very first scene. Could you please tell me anything else can I improve this letter?
Both the above posters give good advice.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it would be a little unwise to send a letter without finding out who to address it to.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello,

Please help.

Many thanks,

Here is my letter:

To whom it may concern,

Best regards,
Khang Nguyen
To add to others advice I wouldn't use A-Level Accounting as a claim that you have a sufficient basis for Masters level accounting study, especially as LSE list it as a non preferred subject i.e. one they don't think is helpful for entry to their courses at undergraduate let alone postgraduate study.
dkhangng
Rep:
?
(Original post by Duncan2012)
From your letter it looks like you're basing your request on part of your first and second years of undergraduate study - ie at least more than a year ago. You haven't shown that you're still up to date with the subject matter. In your post you don't say where you study/studied, they have no way of knowing the content of your modules hence why they asked you to complete the two courses to make sure you're up to speed with the subject matter. I suggest sending that letter, in its current form, would be counterproductive as you're showing them you don't want to meet the conditions of your offer. Very risky. Are you able to do the courses they want?
Indeed when completing the application form for the MSc I have provided sufficiently all information about me including my undergraduate school - Cass Business SChool.

Moreover, last years there were 2 students having the same issues with me and they had successfully waived this condition. Also, this is not a letter to send directly to LSE, it is only the explanation part of a waiving request form giving the reason why I want this condition to be waived.

Becaus Im an international student, staying in the UK in the summer will increase my cost of living. Also applying for UK visa in my country will be easier as I have all financial proof in my country.

So hope you guys can help me improving the reasons so that this condition will be waived for me.

In term of improving the reason, should I include my last summer internship including relevant accounting tasks to appraise investments?

Many thanks for your helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads