sodoge
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So, what happens after you graduate from university? Do you stay in the city that you studied in? Do you go back home (if you studied abroad)?

I am asking this because I would like to study in California, but I am really confused as to what would happen after I finish. Would I stay in the city, or would I move back to Toronto, the place I currently reside in, and find a job here? I also got a bit anxious because I recently found an article saying that California would not be a good place to live:

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/a...ate-in-america

My goal is to study in Stanford or UC Berkeley, or something similar, which could be in the bay area. But, I also found an article that states why it would not be good to live there:

http://www.vice.com/read/reasons-why...rst-place-ever

I really would have liked to study in CA, but these articles are making me rethink my dreams. I am sure they could be biased to some extent. For this, I wish there would be some way I could go to Cali myself, for like a few weeks or something, just to see it myself before I go there to study for 4 years. Do you guys know any way I could do this?:confused::confused::confused:

I would appreciate any help or advice I could get on my issue about the confusion of post-uni life and if the city/area would affect my University experience.

P.S. sorry for the length
apple32
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There are pros and cons to every state, city and country. Do you realize the first article you mentioned is from a site called The Economic Collapse Blog? That by itself tells you how most of the stories are going to sound: horrifiying. The second article is biased. That is one person's view. I recommend reading from a reputable piece of journalism if you want reliable information.

I think because you are worried, you ended up finding articles that mirrored your thoughts.

If you want to study here, or anywhere, don't read these kinds of articles - especially from those kinds of sources. Don't let it scare you from doing what you want to do. Once you are in university, I doubt you'll have time to worry about what's going on within the state, as you'll be concentrating on your studies and having fun. Not to mention, being an international student puts you in a bubble.

As for staying in California after your studies, I don't know if Canada has a different agreement for student visas but if it is the same as other countries, once you finish your studies, you must return to your country within a short time frame unless you found a company to sponsor you for a work visa or if you are continuing your studies there or somewhere else in the country (I'm not sure on the details of that situation).

Both Stanford and Berkeley are in a nice area. The cost of living will be higher because you are near San Francisco but you will most likely be sharing an apartment with other students.

If you want to visit the area, do it. Save some money, plan it out, and come.
sodoge
Rep:
?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much, this is actually very useful information. Of course, I have also found articles that heavily praise California and all its characteristics. But as for the "saving up money and visiting", that would be a little difficult to pull off. I'm still in high school, and I'm very busy with accelerated work and sports, so money could be an issue. Would it be possible to somehow convince my family to go on like a vacation/trip there? Or maybe go there for some course or some kind of camp?
apple32
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You could apply for one of those short summer programs offered by one of the universities. However, housing may or may not be offered in the program costs.

If that doesn't work out I would try the family vacation. Come for 4 or 5 days or a week and visit the campuses.
sodoge
Rep:
?
Posted from TSR Mobile

What type of summer programs do they offer? I know most universities offer summer courses for uni credits, but are there other types of programs? Or anything specific for Cali Universities?
apple32
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can just do a search for 'summer programs' or 'summer session' on any of the university's website.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.21%
No I am happy with my choice (116)
55.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.69%

Watched Threads