Biology Q help Watch

username1646063
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Okay i don't know how to answer this question:

Explain how its possible to have so many different types of biological molecules from a limited amount of monomers.

I've put this, but don't think its correct:
It’s possible to have so many different types of biological molecules from a limited amount of monomers as monomers can form long chains to form a polymer. For instance, fatty acids (monomer/monosaccaride) can form a Polymer to produce Triglycerides (Carbohydrate). Also, monomers can break and form bonds via condensation reaction and hydrolysis.
(as Glucose is a type of Carbohydrate) as monomers can form long chains
username1646063
Rep:
?
anyone?
Simple_student
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Uz25)
Okay i don't know how to answer this question:

Explain how its possible to have so many different types of biological molecules from a limited amount of monomers.

I've put this, but don't think its correct:
It’s possible to have so many different types of biological molecules from a limited amount of monomers as monomers can form long chains to form a polymer. For instance, fatty acids (monomer/monosaccaride) can form a Polymer to produce Triglycerides (Carbohydrate). Also, monomers can break and form bonds via condensation reaction and hydrolysis.
(as Glucose is a type of Carbohydrate) as monomers can form long chains
You're answer is fairly correct but you also have to say that it is due to hydrogen bonds and covalent bonds forming between them as well as oppositely charged groups.. Also the bond that formed from two monomers. For example ester bond in lipids. Lastly look at their properties this will give you the marks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1646063
Rep:
?
(Original post by Simple_student)
You're answer is fairly correct but you also have to say that it is due to hydrogen bonds and covalent bonds forming between them as well as oppositely charged groups.. Also the bond that formed from two monomers. For example ester bond in lipids. Lastly look at their properties this will give you the marks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks. Basically we did an paper chromatography experiment and have an assignment in it. The q is kinda related to what I said but the teacher gave us an example like e.g. why can u get cellulose, phospholipids. E.t.c. from a protein
Simple_student
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Uz25)
Thanks. Basically we did an paper chromatography experiment and have an assignment in it. The q is kinda related to what I said but the teacher gave us an example like e.g. why can u get cellulose, phospholipids. E.t.c. from a protein
Yeah.. And I think proteins isn't a monomer of carbs and also don't have alpha and beta glucose .. You gotta remember that protein has 4 different structures and it's for metabolic roles in the body... And cellulose is insoluble in water so it's beneficial for structural roles 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.66%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.24%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.58%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.87%
How can I be the best version of myself? (192)
30.09%

Watched Threads