AQA CHEM2 - Can't answer this question

Watch this thread
username1204031
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I can't answer this question in a CHEM2 paper:

I've checked the mark scheme and it says you should add any soluble silver salt, but I have no idea why this is. I don't remember reading about this as a chemical test, is it something I should have been able to work out?
Attached files
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JordanL_)
I can't answer this question in a CHEM2 paper:

I've checked the mark scheme and it says you should add any soluble silver salt, but I have no idea why this is. I don't remember reading about this as a chemical test, is it something I should have been able to work out?
If you are trying to differentiate easily between acids then any compound that produces a precipitate with the HCl will do the trick, i.e. something with an insoluble chloride such as lead or silver. This works because all nitrates are soluble.
HUBWD
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Reagent you add AgNO3.

Observation with HCl = white precipitate that is soluble in dilute NH3.

Observation with HNO3 = Nothing/ no precipitate colourless solution.

You add AgNO3 because it reacts with the Cl in HCl to make AgCl which is a white precipitate that is soluble in dilute NH3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (232)
42.03%
The paper was reasonable (234)
42.39%
Not feeling great about that exam... (51)
9.24%
It was TERRIBLE (35)
6.34%

Watched Threads