The Student Room Group

British Gas - Trainee smart meter expert

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by craiglfc123
hi danive got a start date to attend leicester BG academy next month. Obviously passed the phone interview and assessment at Leeds.the phone interview is quite informal and basically the person interviewing was asking of past situations and experiences relevant to her questions,just a case of putting the story across in order of explaining the situation you was in,what your task was,what your actions were and what the end result was.the assessment centre consisted of 3 parts,practical(just stripping wire ends and connecting them to junctions according to a diagram ) very easy imo.a interview(basically same as the phone interview but face to face) and a group discussion(putting ideas of your own across to the group based on a scenario which you will read before discussing).I have no customer service skills whatsoever and my working background is mainly of heavy engineering.so i was surprised to have been offered the job?! just be yourself and dont worry too much.on the flip side i have been trying to research the actual job and find it hard to get opinions of the job and pay.to date i am seriously considering the job as i have read on some forums of BG driving their employees to sell sell sell,and the actual OTE is based on the sales you produce,which wasnt mentioned or hasnt to this date but looking back in the assessment phase there are definite signs of this and i am now of the belief that you would be a salesman as much as a smart meter installer. im guessing that i would be on a 18k basic salary with unrealistic targets and committed to a ****e job for 3 years as BG would claim 9k 6k 3k in years 1 2 3 if you were to leave to reclaim training expenses spent on you. so as i start in 5 weeks im at a crossroads and would like to know if anyone is currently working for BG as a smart meter expert could tell me of the academy process and the actual day to day routine of the job?

Do you know how many people they hired from your assessment group. Also do you think your assessment went really well.
Original post by zanon
I think overall it didnt go well. Especially the interview and group discussion. but im hoping.

Well best of luck to you mate! Ya never know, we could even be based in the same centre of we get lucky
Reply 22
Hi guys thanks for your replies.

Yes I passed my phone interview in early May but have only just today got my date for assessment centre! They said they overfilled the first assessment day so I got put on reserve until the next date became avaliable.

Anyone else got a date for Wednesday 29th July?

I had kind of given up hope on this job so I need to get my head back down and revise again.

Fingers crossed for you Zanon!
How did you find the day? Was it quite formal or more casual? What was the group discussion about and do you have any tips on how to do well at it?
Did you have the same practical test as craig? (Stripping wire ends and connecting them to a block?)

Thanks 😊
Reply 23
Original post by Stobo91
Hi guys thanks for your replies.

Yes I passed my phone interview in early May but have only just today got my date for assessment centre! They said they overfilled the first assessment day so I got put on reserve until the next date became avaliable.

Anyone else got a date for Wednesday 29th July?

I had kind of given up hope on this job so I need to get my head back down and revise again.

Fingers crossed for you Zanon!
How did you find the day? Was it quite formal or more casual? What was the group discussion about and do you have any tips on how to do well at it?
Did you have the same practical test as craig? (Stripping wire ends and connecting them to a block?)

Thanks 😊

The installation task should be simple, remember to check the switch at the beginning if its on or off, I forgot to do this. The interview is all about the online application. Around 2 questions each for the three values of british gas.

The group one, they give you some information about a customer, you have to discuss with your group how the customer can save energy. Do research about the ways to save energy and the smart metre.
You can call the number up which they give in the email and they will explain to you.
Reply 24
Hi does anyone know what to wear to assessment day as we are doing a practice aswel .mi have my assesment day on the 23july in Leeds.
Reply 25
Original post by Jamiebg
Hi does anyone know what to wear to assessment day as we are doing a practice aswel .mi have my assesment day on the 23july in Leeds.

wear shirt tie or suit
Reply 26
Thanks annoy was just wondering as you have to a practice. When do you hear back about if your successful.
Reply 27
Original post by Jamiebg
Thanks annoy was just wondering as you have to a practice. When do you hear back about if your successful.

I found out today I was unsuccessful. I thought I did bad anyway, expected it. Takes a week
Reply 28
Sorry to hear that Zanon.

With regards to each of the tests and interview, do you get any time before each one to prepare or do you dive straight into them?
Reply 29
Anyone else currently going through or recently gone through the process?

My assessment day is next Wednesday. Really not much info out there on recent assessment days.

I have a friend currently doing the job but it sounds like the tasks on the day have changed since he has done it.
Hi Stobo91

How did your assessment centre go? Were you successful? Do you have a start date?
Hello Everyone.i have been following this thread as i also have a date at leeds assessment centre. i am booked on the 12th of August. Anybody else on that day? if someone can give details of how many candidates there are at each session and are they from one specific area or is it just a big jumble up?Many thanks
Reply 32
Hi frenchwood,

At my recent assessment day we were all from the same area, it covered most of Derbyshire/South Yorkshire but also stretched to Nottingham. Quite a bit area was covered and there was 10 of us altogether I think. There should have been 12 but two didn't turn up.

We then split into 2 groups, 5 did the group presentation and the other 5 did the interview/practical test. During the time invetween tests we were sat in a waiting room where we could chat amongst ourselves so use this time to speak to the other candidates and get some tips for your next test.

Any questions fire away.

I should find out if I was successful or not this week
To be frank, i haven't done an interview for the last 15 years.

im doing research and stuff but im still very nervous.

if you remember the questions they asked and details of the group activities i would like to hear from you. i dont think i will have an issue with the practical test as i am already gas and electrical competent, however nerve can take over!!

From research i find that the dress code is suit and tie. is that correct?

Anyway i wish you all the success and hope you get in with BG.
Reply 34
Don't worry too much about it. The whole process is quite laid back when you are there and they make you feel comfortable. They are constantly assessing you so make an effort to chat with the other candidates etc.

The interview is very hard to prepare for unfortunately. I prepared and prepared and prepared and none of the three competency questions that I got asked were anything like what I were expecting.

It all goes back to the online personality test you did at the start of the application and they select 3-4 questions based on your answers.

For eg they said my test results shown that I was quite precise and liked to take my time with tasks and generally do them at a slower pace, can I give a specific example of a time I had a deadline to meet and had to work faster than usual.

I hadn't prepared for this so it kind of threw me but I think I did okay.

They rang me today and told me I had passed the assessment day with flying colours, I'm now on a waiting list until more vacancies arise in my area 😔
Reply 35
Yes j dressed in suit and tie but I feel a shirt and tie would be sufficient. Some guys there wore patterned jumpers and polo t shirts which I thought was abit of a poor effort!
once again thanks for your input stobo.

Well done on your success. your on their waiting list, but you're in. that's the main thing.

im a little confused.....

i had an online assessment and questionnaire following my application. then i had a telephone interview. i then was booked in for the assessment in leeds .

however i received another set of test again this afternoon. Is this the norm? these were a little more challenging than the previous set.

i have completed them anyway.

i will keep you updated on my progress!
Reply 37
Hmm no I don't remember a second set of questions :/ I had my telephone interview and then I was put on a waiting list (again) for two months and then I had my assessment day.

Unless they have changed the process recently then I'm not sure!
Thanks for your reply.

Yes i did think it was rather strange.

Well, for the moment i'm just trying to focus on the interview which is fast approaching.
Original post by frenchwood
Hello Everyone.i have been following this thread as i also have a date at leeds assessment centre. i am booked on the 12th of August. Anybody else on that day? if someone can give details of how many candidates there are at each session and are they from one specific area or is it just a big jumble up?Many thanks

yes iv got one on that day what role are you going for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending