The Student Room Group

British Gas - Trainee smart meter expert

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by frenchwood
oh ok....
Yes I have just double checked mine is the same. I'm also a little concerned as all the emails say my anticipated start. Like it's not for definite yet. I'm in 2 minds to put my notice in or not yet. Just incase
it all depends on how much notice you need to serve. if its only a week then i would work right to the end as there is still a full month to go. i think if all the background checks come back positive then you shouldn't have a problem.
i have just checked the wording in my offer letter and it states the following,

I am pleased to confirm that we wish to offer you the position ofSmart Energy Expert commencing on 28 September 2015

nothing that states anticipating?
Hi guys!

Just wondering if anyone can help.

I recently completed all stages of the recruitment process and got a confirmed email saying "Thank you for attending the assessment for the Trainee Smart Metering Expert, I'm pleased to say you were successful!!". Although i was successful i have been put onto a reserve list because people in my interview scored slightly higher for the September/October start dates.

Just wondered if anyone knows how long it takes till you get an offer?

My interview was early August.

many thanks
Hi Monkey.

Firstly congratulations for succeeding through all the stages.

From my understanding, BG have a quota of people they require in each postcode area. They request more than they need at the interview stage and select the best performing individuals for their Quota. However, they will identify certain individuals who they deem competent and place them in what they call a 'talent pool'. Lets say from their selection, someone decides not to take on the role, they will come back to those who are in the talent pool.

Also if there is more work in that specific postcode area, then again they will refer to the talent pool.

Unfortunately this doesn't answer your question, as their reference to the talent pool depends on many factors which cannot be predetermined.

Hope it helps
Reply 85
Out of the members who were successful, can I ask, for the group exercise were you one of the ones that spoke the most, and also do you know if anyone else in your group who was not as vocal, got an offer.

I hope to apply again in 6 months, I know where i went wrong in the interview and hands on exercise, its just the group exercise which will be a problem as I am a bit shy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi Zanon

I wish you better luck next time round

i think the exercises are group specific. I applied for the Smart Meter Expert, Gas Qualifed role. In our assessment day we had a presentation, mechanical reasoning test and an interview no group exercises.

Maybe it was because we were all part qualified, im not sure.........
Reply 87
Hi Zanon

I wish you better luck next time round

i think the exercises are group specific. I applied for the Smart Meter Expert, Gas Qualifed role. In our assessment day we had a presentation, mechanical reasoning test and an interview no group exercises.

Maybe it was because we were all part qualified, im not sure.........

oh okay, yes I applied for the same
Reply 88
Hi guys!
I'm starting on the 7th at Dartford British Gas Academy. Is anyone attending this academy soon?

Also if you need anything about the interview just ask.
Reply 89
Just had my call from BG today with my start date! Excited isnt the word!

Should be starting on 19th of Oct but my current employer requires 8 weeks notice so ive got a later start date of 16th November at the Leeds academy.

Fingers crossed for you guys still waiting!
Reply 90
Who is starting on the 28th in Leicester?
Reply 91
Original post by Kmj965
Who is starting on the 28th in Leicester?

Hey I'm starting in Leicester on 28th pal. Where you from. And have you had confirmation of your background checks back yet
Reply 92
i have just checked the wording in my offer letter and it states the following,

I am pleased to confirm that we wish to offer you the position ofSmart Energy Expert commencing on 28 September 2015

nothing that states anticipating?

My emails seem to change all the time. Have you had confirmation of your back ground checks back yet pal.
Reply 93
Original post by Razg87
Hey I'm starting in Leicester on 28th pal. Where you from. And have you had confirmation of your background checks back yet

Im from wales m8. All the i fo you said is what ive been through have done the pension details and medical check last week. Nothing els to it really
hi guys,

Got a phone call off BG with a confirmed start date on 26th October at Leicester, just wondered how long it takes for contracts and background checks to be done. Also I know they put people up in hotels for the training period but is it expenses paid on food ect didn't want to ask them seems cheeky.

many thanks
Reply 95
Congrats pal. Takes a week for contracts to come threw. Still waiting for the background checks to come back an I start in just over 2 weeks. I think you get a hotel with breakfast and an evening meal. And if you need to catch train there on first week keep ticket and they will cover that
Reply 96
Contracts and background checks done but i dont start until November 16th!

The countdown is on at my current place.

Yeah they provide breakfast and evening meal (breakfast is buffet style i believe so i was told to grab some fruit or whatever else you can get to take for your lunch)

I live an hour away from Leeds so im hoping to drive up Monday mornings, come home wednesday night, drive up again thurs morning then home friday for the weekend.

Gonna kill me not seeing my daughter!
Reply 97
Original post by Stobo91
Contracts and background checks done but i dont start until November 16th!

The countdown is on at my current place.

Yeah they provide breakfast and evening meal (breakfast is buffet style i believe so i was told to grab some fruit or whatever else you can get to take for your lunch)

I live an hour away from Leeds so im hoping to drive up Monday mornings, come home wednesday night, drive up again thurs morning then home friday for the weekend.

Gonna kill me not seeing my daughter!
How long did it take for background checks to come back and did you get notification of this
Reply 98
All checks back today so al good to go
Reply 99
Has anyone on here started for bg. How's it goin is it what you expected

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending