alex_1998
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
#1
Just found out today from my teacher that my AS Biology ISA grade was a C I was really hoping for at least a B or an A to boost my bio grade, as it is my weakest subject. All I want to achieve in the exam is an overall C...Is this achievable now i have a C in my ISA? Thanks
0
reply
WiseApple
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
#2
Report 6 years ago
#2
It should still be possible. It depends on your attainment in the exam. It's done on averages. However, the ISA and exam weighting are't to my knowledge 50:50, so the exam is still your best bet.

Look at it this way:
If you get a C in the exam, you're almost definitely in for a C.

If you get higher than your ISA grade in the exam, the overall mark will be between the two and vice versa if your ISA is higher than the exam. I wouldn't be too disheartened though - GCSE history I achieved a D in the exam but thanks to A* coursework, I got a B.

EDIT: Your exam board may have a UMS or mark calcualtor that allows you to put together marks accurately, like AQA's UMS calculator. I'd search for that - it'd give you a god idea of what to aim for.
0
reply
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#3
Report 6 years ago
#3
For AQA science the ISA is 20% of your year's grade and exams make up the other 80%.

If you work hard enough for your exams, even with a C you could get an A overall.

For example, my best 2 ISAs in Physics were C (AS) and D (A2) but I got A's in all four exams so I scored an A at AS and an A at A2, so don't worry, just try your best.
0
reply
alex_1998
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#4
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
#4
(Original post by WiseApple)
It should still be possible. It depends on your attainment in the exam. It's done on averages. However, the ISA and exam weighting are't to my knowledge 50:50, so the exam is still your best bet.

Look at it this way:
If you get a C in the exam, you're almost definitely in for a C.

If you get higher than your ISA grade in the exam, the overall mark will be between the two and vice versa if your ISA is higher than the exam. I wouldn't be too disheartened though - GCSE history I achieved a D in the exam but thanks to A* coursework, I got a B.

EDIT: Your exam board may have a UMS or mark calcualtor that allows you to put together marks accurately, like AQA's UMS calculator. I'd search for that - it'd give you a god idea of what to aim for.
Thank you I will work my hardest for the exam in order to get the C!
0
reply
alex_1998
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#5
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
#5
(Original post by SeanFM)
For AQA science the ISA is 20% of your year's grade and exams make up the other 80%.

If you work hard enough for your exams, even with a C you could get an A overall.

For example, my best 2 ISAs in Physics were C (AS) and D (A2) but I got A's in all four exams so I scored an A at AS and an A at A2, so don't worry, just try your best.
Thanks- thats really made me worry a bit less. I don't usually score very highly in Biology so I really needed some security with my ISA...but I guess that will just make me work harder for the exam
0
reply
LBBJ
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#6
Report 6 years ago
#6
(Original post by alex_1998)
Just found out today from my teacher that my AS Biology ISA grade was a C I was really hoping for at least a B or an A to boost my bio grade, as it is my weakest subject. All I want to achieve in the exam is an overall C...Is this achievable now i have a C in my ISA? Thanks
Ahhh, the many struggles of ISA's.... let me offer my services.
The answer to your rather poorly structured but straight to the point question, is Yes my friend. The ISA will most likely make up around 25% of your overall grade so if you perform in weakly in your exam, then it will boost up your grade. However, as a voice of experience, I would like to hope that one with your capabilities would be aiming a little higher.
Thank you for your time, hope this helps, Kind regards, LBBJ
0
reply
muisti222
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#7
Report 6 years ago
#7
Hey guys is anyone doing aqa A2 biology unit 6X as an isa if so I desperately need some help doing my Biology A2 privately so I have no teacher to help. it would mean so much to me thank u

Posted from TSR Mobile
0
reply
alex_1998
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#8
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
#8
(Original post by LBBJ)
Ahhh, the many struggles of ISA's.... let me offer my services.
The answer to your rather poorly structured but straight to the point question, is Yes my friend. The ISA will most likely make up around 25% of your overall grade so if you perform in weakly in your exam, then it will boost up your grade. However, as a voice of experience, I would like to hope that one with your capabilities would be aiming a little higher.
Thank you for your time, hope this helps, Kind regards, LBBJ
Poorly structured? Yes, I'm trying my hardest at the moment! Thanks.
0
reply
carrellii
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
#9
Report 6 years ago
#9
Hi, was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I need an A overall in biology but I got a D/E in my isa. I don't even know what happened because obviously we aren't allowed to see our paper. Is it still possible for me to get an A?


Posted from TSR Mobile
0
reply
ballroom beans
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
#10
Report 6 years ago
#10
I got a high B in my isa and I think I've done okay on unit 2 and 3 papers. Is it likely I will get a C grade? That's all I want is a C x
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (115)
27.51%
England (146)
34.93%
Belgium (32)
7.66%
Germany (42)
10.05%
Spain (10)
2.39%
Italy (34)
8.13%
Netherlands (14)
3.35%
Other (Tell us who) (25)
5.98%

Watched Threads

View All