The Student Room Group

BaCl test

What is Barium Chloride testing for? And why is dilute nitric acid added. I believe it is to remove ions which may form precipitates, so if the solution had a white precipitate, and after adding HNO3 it turns colourless - is that an indicator of carbonate ions, or what?
Original post by TARS
What is Barium Chloride testing for? And why is dilute nitric acid added. I believe it is to remove ions which may form precipitates, so if the solution had a white precipitate, and after adding HNO3 it turns colourless - is that an indicator of carbonate ions, or what?

Bacl is a test for sulphate ions. Acid is used so that any carbonates present react with the acid so therefore if you can see a precipitate it is barium sulfate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by samb1234
Bacl is a test for sulphate ions. Acid is used so that any carbonates present react with the acid so therefore if you can see a precipitate it is barium sulfate

Posted from TSR Mobile

However the manner in which we did the experiment was that we added an unknown substance to BaCl, recorded an observation, and then added HNO3 and recorded a separate observation. Does this still apply?
Original post by TARS
However the manner in which we did the experiment was that we added an unknown substance to BaCl, recorded an observation, and then added HNO3 and recorded a separate observation. Does this still apply?

Yes it still applies just in a different order. The only difference is if you do it that way round if you get a white precipitate that then disappears on addition of the acid you have a carbonate (since sulfate wouldn't react)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by samb1234
Yes it still applies just in a different order. The only difference is if you do it that way round if you get a white precipitate that then disappears on addition of the acid you have a carbonate (since sulfate wouldn't react)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay I understand, thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest