Further Maths is great but....... Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi i did my Maths A Level this june(edexcel) and am going to do M4 - 6 and P4 - 6 for Further maths. I did my Maths Als in a matter of six months and (im not bragging) i actually found it really easy in the end. I do know further maths is a harder challenge, but Id really like to know if there is any other extension in math I could do. (Ive herd something called "further maths additional" or something. Anyone got any info?)
Vin
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
If you're a math person, and which I know I am myself, then AS Math is piss easy, and in your case finishing it in only 6 months isn't out of the norm for students contemplating taking A-level Further Maths, so it wouldn't be bragging at all. Students such as these often get 100 UMS for most of the 6 units, and less so for P3. The fact is you have twice as many math lessons every day than the people taking single maths is not a matter of talent, simply more time spent on the subject.

A-level Further Maths Additional is offered by various boards only, which involves a total of 3 A-levels at the end of A2 which will consequently require 18 modules of math. A typical example and the most obvious one will be P1-P6, M1-M6 and S1-S6.

Other extensions, although not A-levels include AEA (Advanced Extension Award) Math, STEP I, II and III. These exams challenge the most able at math usually only required by Oxbridge to distinguish between A grade Math and Further Math candidates who apply for various courses there.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vin
[B]If you're a math person, and which I know I am myself, then AS Math is piss easy, and in your case finishing it in only 6 months isn't out of the norm for students contemplating taking A-level Further Maths, so it wouldn't be bragging at all. Students such as these often get 100 UMS for most of the 6 units, and less so for P3. The fact is you have twice as many math lessons every day than the people taking single maths is not a matter of talent, simply more time spent on the subject.

A-level Further Maths Additional is offered by various boards only, which involves a total of 3 A-levels at the end of A2 which will consequently require 18 modules of math. A typical example and the most obvious one will be P1-P6, M1-M6 and S1-S6.

It doesnt require 18 modules.

For a start A-level maths + A-level Further Maths only requires 8 modules.

A- Level : P1 - P3 M1-M3 CASH IN

Further A-Level P3-P5 M1 - M3 CASH IN

So long as the A-level is cashe in by april of Y13, The Module bank is vleared, and students are ALLOWED to take the same exams again and use then towards the 6 fm modules.

Cazy but true

Dave
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Imthe guywho startedt6he topic. Im doingexams throughedexcel. Do you think theyd offer an additional furthermaths if i do D1 - 2 andS1 2 and 4 (not s3)? really would like to know nsome ideas.
shayanf
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
i study further maths and am using the book bostock and chandler by stanley thornes- can anyone of u name some other book.
thanku
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by shayanf)
i study further maths and am using the book bostock and chandler by stanley thornes- can anyone of u name some other book.
thanku
I have that one - the yellow further maths book by Bostock and Chandler, partners in crime (they seem to have written almost every maths book in existence together).

The ones we use in class are the green Heinemann ones, specifically for Edexcel.

J.
toxi
Report 15 years ago
As far as I know, there are various combinations of further maths.

I'm interested in doing further maths too and i've been told that with p1-6 and s1-6 which I'll be finishing next year I can get it.

I've also been told that for edexcel p1-3 is essential and then you complete it with 6 more maths modules from decision, pure (4-6), mechs or stats. I'm not sure though, maybe more than six are needed.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Many people say it's better to do STEP than further maths additional.
undercover-ange
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm doing further maths with ocr but I don't think they do an "additional further maths" award but would it be reasonable to do this on a different board? I want to do maths at university and hopefully at a good one, but I don't want to be trying to compete with people who've done loads more than me. I've discussed doing STEP papers with my teachers so I will do II and III next year, but I don't really know what will be expected of me from top universities.
It'sPhil...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by undercover-ange)
I'm doing further maths with ocr but I don't think they do an "additional further maths" award but would it be reasonable to do this on a different board? I want to do maths at university and hopefully at a good one, but I don't want to be trying to compete with people who've done loads more than me. I've discussed doing STEP papers with my teachers so I will do II and III next year, but I don't really know what will be expected of me from top universities.
This mostly depends on what (applied) units you do. Everyone does P1-P6 so your on level terms, howecer for FM you could do D1 D2 M1 M2 S1 S2 for applied. Although this combination of units is "easier" it would be more advantageous to take Mechanics up to at least M4. Top places, especially Cambridge, value mechanics higher than statistics so its definitely worth doing the later modules - plus its more fun than stats and starts to get good around M3/M4
undercover-ange
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What is discrete maths like? We've got to choose whether we want to do m2 s2 or d1 for our next module and i don't really know what to do. I am finding m1 harder than s1 as i don't have a particularly brilliant memory for random formulas and what different letters mean. I thought doing m2 would be best so the formulas would be kept in my mind through usage for the exams in may. Most of my class seem keen on doing m4 eventually but i don't know whether we should do some more stats or d1? I hope mechanics becomes more fun, I never really enjoyed physics at gcse.
theone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by It'sPhil...)
This mostly depends on what (applied) units you do. Everyone does P1-P6 so your on level terms, howecer for FM you could do D1 D2 M1 M2 S1 S2 for applied. Although this combination of units is "easier" it would be more advantageous to take Mechanics up to at least M4. Top places, especially Cambridge, value mechanics higher than statistics so its definitely worth doing the later modules - plus its more fun than stats and starts to get good around M3/M4
The same could be said about stats
It'sPhil...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by undercover-ange)
What is discrete maths like? We've got to choose whether we want to do m2 s2 or d1 for our next module and i don't really know what to do. I am finding m1 harder than s1 as i don't have a particularly brilliant memory for random formulas and what different letters mean. I thought doing m2 would be best so the formulas would be kept in my mind through usage for the exams in may. Most of my class seem keen on doing m4 eventually but i don't know whether we should do some more stats or d1? I hope mechanics becomes more fun, I never really enjoyed physics at gcse.
M1 is the only one which requires formulas ie suvat equations. I find D maths quite dull but very easy. The good thing about mechanics is you just keep building on the model that you have, adding complications such as variable acceleration, variable forces, air resistance. I did S1 last year and got my lowest mark on it out of the A-level because I found it too number-crunchy, but some people like that
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (80)
18.91%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (170)
40.19%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (20)
4.73%
No particular grades needed (27)
6.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise