What A-levels are needed to become a psychologist?

Watch
JamesHibb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am really interested in psychology and would love to become a psychologist and am interested in occupational therapy. I am unsure as to what a-levels are needed in order to become a psychologist but I'm thinking about taking

-English Language
-French
-Psychology
-Business Studies

So I am wondering what I should be taking in order to become take up a career in psychology and what courses go together etc. And if what I have chosen is wise. I am predicted A's and B's in everything at GCSE

Many Thanks
Crystalz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Any. Biology and Maths (stats mainly) are slightly favourable but in no way essential.
TheStudent18
  • Study Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JamesHibb)
I am really interested in psychology and would love to become a psychologist and am interested in occupational therapy. I am unsure as to what a-levels are needed in order to become a psychologist but I'm thinking about taking

-English Language
-French
-Psychology
-Business Studies

So I am wondering what I should be taking in order to become take up a career in psychology and what courses go together etc. And if what I have chosen is wise. I am predicted A's and B's in everything at GCSE

Many Thanks
I think those A-levels are fine for a degree in psychology. Make sure that the degree that you're hoping to study is accredited by the appropriate organisations such as the British Psychological Society (BPS) which will allow you to become a chartered member.

Have you tried looking on university websites?
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

-English Language
-French
-Psychology
-Business Studies

Many Thanks
it doesnt really matter as long as you have one Science, however if I were you I would choose:

Psychology
Biology
Either Maths(Statistics) or Statistics (Full A level)

and if you choose to do 4 I would say it would be beneficial to have an essay based subject so something like: English, Sociology or History, Economics could also be useful as it involves statistical analysis as well as essay writing

Hope this helps
PurpleGhost25175
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

-English Language
-French
-Psychology
-Business Studies

Many Thanks
I have applied to do Psychology and I am currently doing Psychology, Maths and Religious Studies. I did Biology last year but I dropped it. I would go with maths, biology and an essay writing subject. You can do the same 4 subjects in A2 as well if you wanted.
atiyaaloveszaynx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

-English Language
-French
-Psychology
-Business Studies

Many Thanks
You're thinking of taking the exact same subjects that I wanted to take at A Level! Literally! But I had a problem with my subject columns so I'm doing A2 Sociology, Psychology, English Language and Literature and I'll be doing my French A Level next year I'm thinking of a career in psychology as well as french, but right now in A2, I think sociology complements psychology really well. I hate the subject and took it against my will, but sociology and psychology are a good combination, it's amazing what you learn in one subject that fits in the other. Also, with psychology and sociology, you can apply your knowledge of both subjects into the one, e.g Freud, media psychology, and also research methods - they're interrelated.

I know it may be a little early to think about this but have a look at particular Universities that are suited to your course. That way, some Universities tell you what subjects they are interested in. I think the subjects that you want to take are brill because they were my first choice too but incase there is a problem like I had with the columns and you can't take one, I recommend doing sociology or health and social care maybe instead of business. But if I was you, i'd read around each subject beforehand regarding the specification of each subject and see what takes yourfancy - whether you want to do sociology or not etc, but it's great that you've got a set career in mind just like I did.

Good luck with everything! Hope I helped! If you have any more questions just let me know
LunchMunch
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You are doing the same subjects as me
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LunchMunch)
You are doing the same subjects as me
Not anymore they're not as this post is 3 years old.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (77)
17.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (124)
28.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.62%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.04%

Watched Threads