Do you fare dodge on the train/bus? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mezza362
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I used to dare dodge all the time. Now I'm older I don't as haven't since I was 21 (25 now).
For the last few months, on the way back from uni the ticket conducters have stared for ages and handed it back disapprovingly without saying anyrhing. After it happened again today I decided to look up the off peak rules and found out an off peak ticket has not been valid between 4pm and 7:30pm since September 2014. I am so embarrassed! I'm not sure why the ticket conducter never said anyrhing to me since I didn't have a valid ticket. I'm so embarrassed and upset but at least I know for future.

Have you/do you fare dodge? How much do you reckon you have saved?
theo1jinx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't see why you should do something like that. When you are provided a service you must pay for it.

In my country (Greece) unfortunately a lot of people more than 75% dodge fares as the security system isn't good enough, especially in the subways, and look at us now. It's things like that that ruin the economy.

What if everyone thought like you?
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
never fare dodge. you WILL get caught
poohat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by theo1jinx)
I don't see why you should do something like that. When you are provided a service you must pay for it.
Thats quite misleading - in the UK, the rail companies get a huge amount of government subsidies and are allowed to do things which no other private company would ever be able to do (eg issuing spot fines without having to go through court). They also have a state-sanctioned monopoly which means they are immune to competition, and can essentially set prices at whatever level they like without needing to worry about competitors, which has led to the absurdly high rail fares in the UK.

There is nothing morally wrong with fare dodging imo, it isn't at all like stealing from a private company - rail companies do not exist in anything which even remotely resembles a market environment. It can be a bad idea for practical reasons (i.e. you may get caught) but I dont think morality comes into it.
Crystalz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I used too when I was about 15-16. I got fined £40. Now I don't.
channies
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In the UK I could easily get a child's ticket on the bus because I look so young (apparently 9 according to a 5 year old) but I don't do it because I feel bad lying to their face. But when I was in Germany I got on the metroey thing for free because they had no gates so I just didn't buy a ticket

Posted from TSR Mobile
Schrödingers Cat
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by shawn_o1)
never fare dodge. you WILL get caught
Not where I live lol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As someone who comes from a low income household travel forms a much higher proportion of expenses. I feel contemptuous for private rail companies and I only pay when I know there's inspectors, otherwise I would choose to ignore the fares.
Sgt.Incontro
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Fare evaded once while on holiday in Austria. But I feel that was somewhat justified, and its the only time I have ever evaded.
Déscartés
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Use an invalid ticket instead of paying with my oyster. Tbh they should be better at their job, it's not that hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheOrder1886
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Only the scum of the earth fare dodge and are worth than cockroaches.
channies
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheOrder1886)
What if you give the money you were supposed to use to charity?

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheOrder1886
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by channies)
What if you give the money you were supposed to use to charity?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't you even go there.

I am proud to pay for my travel, PLUS donate to noble causes.
driftawaay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Passive aggresive psychopaths are not a lot better than cockroaches.

I don't remember ever dodging a fare, I don't really use public transport but I would be too scared to do it tbh. If you get caught you're a bit ****ed.
channies
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't you even go there.

I am proud to pay for my travel, PLUS donate to noble causes.
I've only fare dodged once, there are worse criminals than me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No I don't..
t0sin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do if I know I can probably get away with it or if I don't really have the money but to be fair, I'm pretty young so I guess it's just a luxury that's going to run out.

But christ, these people who act like fare dodging is the equivalent of murder need to chill and live a little - some of us just have to do what we have to do. LMAO.
TheTechN1304
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I live right near central London so it's difficult to fare dodge. When I'm not using my Oyster cards I'll buy child tickets though as they're so much cheaper. Day travel cards are only like £4 for children and adult ones cost £12. I can pass for a 15 year old so it's all good lol.
Laomedeia
Report 4 years ago
I nicked petrol by disguising my number plates once. Only wanted to see if it was possible, it was. They couldnt get my face because I dont have one.
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't think I've ever fare dodged. I have been tempted like the other day I dropped a fiver on a train ticket but didn't get asked to see it or go through any barriers at any time.

On the other hand on those particular trains it's a £20 instant fine if you don't have a ticket, you can't just buy one on the train.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.3%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.26%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.44%

Watched Threads