The Student Room Group

Do looks matter in a relationship?

Many people say stuff like "it's what's on the inside that matters", and "personality can outweigh physical appearance" but is this true?

What do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Looks can get a one interested in a person, but the personality makes them stay interested. For me, looks matter to an extent, but no it's not the first thing I'd look for in a potential partner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"Looks; attract.... personality; attach"
It is a balance of both, you have to have the physical attraction there, but the physical attraction without a spark means nothing! Gotta find someone who fulfils what you're looking for in both ways!
Yes if you want non-ugly offspring.
Reply 4
honest opinion :- 75% personality, 25% looks
To me its all about the looks. If shes beautiful, I can tolerate her **** personality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To an extent yes
Reply 7
Original post by AsandaLFC
To me its all about the looks. If shes beautiful, I can tolerate her **** personality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

WHat if she is smoking hot but is the most immature person on earth?
Depends on the person. There are people who didn't fancy each other at first and then got to know each other (say through work or whatever) and ended up being more physically attracted to the person. I don't see how it could matter too much if your intention is to have the relationship last until the end, through old age, warts and all. I don't see how looks could be an important factor then. But for everyone, I think looks matter to some degree. And I suppose it's naturally the first thing that people usually get attracted to. :smile: xx
I mean.. You can't have sex with personality.
Reply 10
I was with a guy who was very ugly purely cause he had awesome personality. And it just didn't work out cause I was literally disgust by him.
So no matter what people say, look matters. It's not about dating World's hottest girl/guy but you MUST at least find them attractive.
I'm one of those people who want a great personality in any girl that they're interested in, regardless of looks. That's not to say that looks don't matter to all, but I think it'd be unfair of me to expect a girl to be good looking, when I look the way I do.
Reply 12
Original post by Nottie
I was with a guy who was very ugly purely cause he had awesome personality. And it just didn't work out cause I was literally disgust by him.
So no matter what people say, look matters. It's not about dating World's hottest girl/guy but you MUST at least find them attractive.

Did he look like this guy?
I would not judge just because I do not go outside so I do not know what a girl looks like
Original post by KnittedMaestro
"Looks; attract.... personality; attach"
It is a balance of both, you have to have the physical attraction there, but the physical attraction without a spark means nothing! Gotta find someone who fulfils what you're looking for in both ways!

This.
Original post by AsandaLFC

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apparently looks are not meant to matter. But sub-consicenceially i think looks do matter.

Personally I get attracted to the personality but in my head i always asks myself how good he looks.
Yes, looks matter.
Reply 18
Original post by theo1jinx
Did he look like this guy?

kinda worse I guess
Reply 19
Original post by Nottie
kinda worse I guess

You serious? what was he? jabba the hut?

Quick Reply

Latest