The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

History and Spanish at Edinburgh or Leeds?

Help! I can't decide between Edinburgh and Leeds for a course in joint honours History and Spanish.

Edinburgh is AAA and Leeds AAB. I find the course at Leeds really interesting, varied and flexible but don't find the city or 'boozy culture' that appealing, whilst Edinburgh seems really international, cultural and exciting but the course is kind of bad- hardly any felxibity to choose different modules in History and none in Spanish, in the earlier years.

I'm really interested in Spanish culture, film, history etc as well as literature and apparently first year of Spanish at Edin is v basic just going through all the basics of grammar etc.

I really can't decide because although the course is the most important thing and therefore I should pick Leeds, I think my heart is kind of set on Edinburgh and how amazing it sounds as a place to live and be a student.

I would love to hear some advice, and even more to hear from anyone who has done these subjects/ this course at either uni.

Thanks so much!
Original post by emilyb26
Help! I can't decide between Edinburgh and Leeds for a course in joint honours History and Spanish.

Edinburgh is AAA and Leeds AAB. I find the course at Leeds really interesting, varied and flexible but don't find the city or 'boozy culture' that appealing, whilst Edinburgh seems really international, cultural and exciting but the course is kind of bad- hardly any felxibity to choose different modules in History and none in Spanish, in the earlier years.

I'm really interested in Spanish culture, film, history etc as well as literature and apparently first year of Spanish at Edin is v basic just going through all the basics of grammar etc.

I really can't decide because although the course is the most important thing and therefore I should pick Leeds, I think my heart is kind of set on Edinburgh and how amazing it sounds as a place to live and be a student.

I would love to hear some advice, and even more to hear from anyone who has done these subjects/ this course at either uni.

Thanks so much!

It depends if you have done Spanish before at Edinburgh

To quote from their website
" If you have not studied Spanish before then you take Spanish 1A, which is an intensive language course taught for approximately two hours per week. Some literary texts are also studied in semester 2"More advanced students, Ie those with an A level or a Scottish Higher in Spanish take Spanish 1B, which involves the study of both language and literature for about four hours per week. A variety of literary texts are studied, both from Spain and Latin America, ranging from the Middle ages to the present day."

So it is certainly not just basic grammar.

There is also some flexibility in History -Look here for details
http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/15-16/dpt/utspanhmah.htm

Which shows you what courses you can do

Hope that helps

[h="3"]Second year[/h]Both first-year Spanish courses (1A and 1B) allow access to Spanish 2, which follows a similar structure to Spanish 1B, but at a higher level. During your second year it is also possible to begin to study Catalan.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Hi,

I have given an extensive analysis of my experiences studying History at Edinburgh, as well as the city itself here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3262823; basically great!

Re. Spanish, my flatmate studies Business with Spanish. Although the organisation of the Spanish department leaves something to be desired (the year abroad organiser literally said to his class in ominous terms "this is all to prepare you for your year abroad"), the course seems fairly interesting in content. Sometimes he has been made to watch obscure Spanish and Mexican films, as well as read obscure old Spanish books. However, what has really inspired my flatmate about Spanish in Edinburgh is the city itself. Of the 70,000 Spaniards living in the UK 25,000 live in Edinburgh, giving it the largest Spanish community in the country. Consequently there are many Spanish cultural events across the city, which has been really interesting alongside studying the language academically. There are also plenty of Spanish students at Edinburgh as well, including my other flatmate, so that can teach you a lot about the country culturally.

Also, more generally, Edinburgh has a much better international reputation than Leeds, and as you have indicated entry requirements are high across the board. Perhaps firm Edinburgh and insurance Leeds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending