The Student Room Group

Do universities always discriminate against year 12 re-takers?

[INDENT]I dropped out of year 12 in early February, due to clinical depression. This coupled with my low mock grades of DEEU. My depression meant I had given up on life and as a result saw no point in studying, revising or doing homework, so I was months behind on work.

If I was to get better and re-do year 12 again, would universities discriminate against me? Ie see I'm applying a year late and automatically throw my application in the bin. What if I took different subjects?

Or would they be sensitive to the exceptional circumstances?

I re-did a year at sixth form and I've had absolutely no problem. I've now got 5 offers to do law at university.
Original post by NUFC1998

[INDENT]I dropped out of year 12 in early February, due to clinical depression. This coupled with my low mock grades of DEEU. My depression meant I had given up on life and as a result saw no point in studying, revising or doing homework, so I was months behind on work.

If I was to get better and re-do year 12 again, would universities discriminate against me? Ie see I'm applying a year late and automatically throw my application in the bin. What if I took different subjects?

Not at all :smile: especially taking into account your reason! I hope things improve soon :h:
Reply 3
Original post by inthechaos
I re-did a year at sixth form and I've had absolutely no problem. I've now got 5 offers to do law at university.

Interesting. I did all stem this year, but law was something I was considering. May I ask why you re-took the year? Also what a levels did you do and where are your offers for?

Thanks
Reply 4

I think you are anticipating an issue that mostly isn't there. Generally, re-taking Y12 is not a problem, even if you don't have 'exceptional circumstances' but just changed your mind about the A levels for you. I've known people get into good universities having re-taken Y12 - an example being Law at Nottingham since you are mentioning Law.

I dropped out of year 12 in early February, due to clinical depression. This coupled with my low mock grades of DEEU. My depression meant I had given up on life and as a result saw no point in studying, revising or doing homework, so I was months behind on work.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I left AS in January, long story... :tongue: My friend also left in February. Our sixth form is pretty bad but anyways, we both left due to reasons of bad teaching and forms of depression.

But I'm starting again in September at a better college with her, both of us with better more informed A-Level choices. I really can't wait to start again, and get it all right this time!

You'll be fine, I researched heavily before I left and most universities would just over look it, not really care and just focus on your grades.

In fact we're at an advantage in that we're not resitting because of bad grades, so we won't have any ugly EEE previous attempt on our UCAS applications or whatever. Not to mention because of the appropriate circumstances they have no reason to deny entry.

As far as I'm aware universities only frown upon resitters who failed first time around, and even then that's rarely. We didn't take AS exams nor fail any, so we're good. The only issue will be the question of 'why' and that's it. I'm pretty sure virtually all universities will be fine with it.

The only exclusion is Medicine courses and Oxbridge, naturally. :tongue: Most if not all other universities, including high up RGs, assuming you get the grades won't question it or will question the gap but will be fine with the explanation.

I hope your depression has been getting better. :smile: Mine has gotten better a hell of a lot since leaving, the social atmosphere at my college was just awful. But I'm fine now and will be fine to start again in September, I just need to avoid going down the bad road again and I hope you're able to restart in September and you won't too.
Reply 6
Glad to here that you are getting better. The social environment at my school, was likewise not great.

Its good old to here that it shouldn't be too big a problem. I wouldn't consider medicine and Oxbridge, appears by most evidence, to be a little beyond me. I still don't see why medicine or Oxbridge would be any different to other courses? Surely they are understanding of depression and just want the best candidates regardless of age.

They mightn't accept gap years or re-takes, but you would think our situation would be different.
Interesting. I did all stem this year, but law was something I was considering. May I ask why you re-took the year? Also what a levels did you do and where are your offers for?

Thanks

I messed up my first year due to depression, so I restarted. And I didn't apply anywhere amazing because I'm not Oxbridge or London uni material. I have offers from UEA, Essex, 2 from Nottingham Trent and Anglia Ruskin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Glad to here that you are getting better. The social environment at my school, was likewise not great.

Its good old to here that it shouldn't be too big a problem. I wouldn't consider medicine and Oxbridge, appears by most evidence, to be a little beyond me. I still don't see why medicine or Oxbridge would be any different to other courses? Surely they are understanding of depression and just want the best candidates regardless of age.

They mightn't accept gap years or re-takes, but you would think our situation would be different.

Thank you. :smile: Yeah the thing with colleges and sixth forms is because it's only for 2 years you get a lot of bad ones that deceive you through exam results, until you actually attend and realise the atmosphere and teaching are really poor. :frown:

It definitely won't be too big of a problem if not one at all, especially since you're not planning on applying to Medicine or Oxbridge. It's beyond me too tbh. :tongue:

It's not a case that they wouldn't understand, they would and the first thing I think they'd look at is results and then the fact you have a gap but I'm just going with what I've heard/been told about them - and that's that they like A-Levels to be done traditionally in the solid 2 years with no resits, so I presume the same with pre-AL gaps.

I could be wrong and haven't researched deeply into this myself since I don't plan on doing Medicine or going to Oxbridge, but there is a very limited number of people who resat or have gaps in order to give a simple answer of how the process would be. It may be best to email one of the unis or ask on the Oxbridge forum on TSR, they could probably give a way better answer if you're interested.

I definitely know re-takes aren't accepted, gap years are accepted however but after A-Levels. So we're in too much of a unique situation to even say a definite answer!
(edited 8 years ago)
Ask whichever teacher does your reference to mention it, I doubt any uni would judge you for it if they know the circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest