The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Feline_Nymphet
Sigh. How is trash rap black culture? :facepalm2:

Eh well. Maybe it is. If black people want credit for pioneering rap, thus making rap culturally black, they're gonna have to take credit for the trash in the genre going on today, even if it's starkly diff than the rap in the earlier days.

However, as honestly common it is to see black people emulating the content of this...song...other people in other races emulate it too! :unimpressed:

So is it still black culture? :dontknow:

Haha I know a lot of black people who get pissed off how "white" people emulate black culture :laugh:

Rap music is in general black culture, especially gangsta rap which that rubbish tries to emulate. Just look at the slang going around, most people especially in Europe don't know where 'blud' and 'cuz' come from, use it interchangeably, even though both are the results of not only black culture, but specifically LA gangs and you really should not use both words.

Seeing that prior to the Chav revolution in the 90's you didn't see anything like that, which only emerged as rap went mainstream, kind of does suggests to me that it is indeed the emulation of black culture.
Original post by DanB1991
Haha I know a lot of black people who get pissed off how "white" people emulate black culture :laugh:

Rap music is in general black culture, especially gangsta rap which that rubbish tries to emulate. Just look at the slang going around, most people especially in Europe don't know where 'blud' and 'cuz' come from, use it interchangeably, even though both are the results of not only black culture, but specifically LA gangs and you really should not use both words.

Seeing that prior to the Chav revolution in the 90's you didn't see anything like that, which only emerged as rap went mainstream, kind of does suggests to me that it is indeed the emulation of black culture.

Why did you quote white...?

& Hmmm...well before the chav thing, people globally were emulating black culture anyway with the success of reggae. The Beatles loved Motown as well, which is an African American genre derived from jazz and it's like what Duffy did with Mercy; it's Doo Wop and Motown, which is jazzy rock and funk like James Brown.

And punk music has a huge ska influence. Check out the Toots and the Maytals

[video="youtube;gLgt39WeKWA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLgt39WeKWA[/video]

& Lady Gaga's "Alejandro" is famously modelled after Ace of Base, particularly their track "Don't Turn Around," which is blatantly ska reggae made into Euro Dance Pop. :s-smilie:

So my point is, if it sounds or looks good, and then becomes massively successful, people will copy it (especially those people lacking roots of their own, or those simply brave enough to imitate it). Whether it's black, white, brown, whatever. So it's not that rap and black people are culpable for chavvy behaviour; it's that whatever is famous and popular, anyone is going to imitate it. These days, the trend is trap-rap music...tomorrow it'll be something else and if it makes you feel better, maybe it'll be something white people came up with :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Why did you quote white...?

& Hmmm...well before the chav thing, people globally were emulating black culture anyway with the success of reggae. The Beatles loved Motown as well, which is an African American genre derived from jazz and it's like what Duffy did with Mercy; it's Doo Wop and Motown, which is jazzy rock and funk like James Brown.

And punk music has a huge ska influence.

& Lady Gaga's "Alejandro" is famously modelled after Ace of Base, particularly their track "Don't Turn Around," which is blatantly ska reggae made into Euro Dance Pop. :s-smilie:

So my point is, if it sounds or looks good, and then becomes massively successful, people will copy it (especially those people lacking roots of their own, or those simply brave enough to imitate it). Whether it's black, white, brown, whatever. So it's not that rap and black people are culpable for chavvy behaviour; it's that whatever is famous and popular, anyone is going to imitate it. These days, the trend is trap-rap music...tomorrow it'll be something else and if it makes you feel better, maybe it'll be something white people came up with :h:

Because they never complain about those really annoying Asian chavs that started appearing about 5 years ago. Just white wannabes.

There's a difference taking influence and creating something new and just copying it. Most white rap music never really massively innovates or create it's own genre.

Point is rap is still seen as a massive part of urban/lower class black culture.

While certain aspects such as trap music has grown out of these black roots, it is still a massive characteristic of black culture.
(edited 8 years ago)
Because they never complain about those really annoying Asian chavs that started appearing about 5 years ago.

There's a difference taking influence and creating something new and just copying it. Most white rap music never really massively innovates or create it's own genre.

Point is rap is still seen as a massive part of urban/lower class black culture.

While certain aspects such as trap music has grown out of these black roots, it is still a massive characteristic of black culture.

You came after I edited :colonhash:

White rap=rap metal, which was grungy and huge in the 90s like Limp Bizkit and POD :teehee: Linkin Park's Mike Shinoda always does it and always did it. And many more. Papa Roach and the Beastie Boys too.

Yes rap is seen as a massive part of black culture, as I did say in my first post. But it's not culpable for chavs :colonhash: That was my major point. There was always a version of lower class whites and suburban white youth being brave or whatever enough to overtly model themselves after black music. Not only do they have good taste, lower class people are dreamers and want to be whatever is big and famous.

One era in time, jazz was the rage.

And then came Elvis and the Beatles with rock, who everyone knows loved Motown in the 50s.

Another era, Doo Wop WAS seriously the rage in like the 60s.

And then soul and disco happened in the 70s and everyone bandwagoned that.

Then in the 70s and early 80s reggae was huge.

Then the late 80s and still now more than ever, rap is the hugest.

While Pop was always big, Michael Jackson (black) was the biggest.

Now Beyonce and Rihanna are. I mean whatever :h: Idk how long you'll want to go back n forth with it though.

I agree that rap is majorly black, but I do not agree that chavs are criminals because of rap. I do think they dress like black rappers because of the same reason everyone in the 70s wore platforms and flares: trend. That's it.
You came after I edited :colonhash:

White rap=rap metal, which was grungy and huge in the 90s like Limp Bizkit and POD :teehee: Linkin Park's Mike Shinoda always does it and always did it. And many more. Papa Roach and the Beastie Boys too.

Yes rap is seen as a massive part of black culture, as I did say in my first post. But it's not culpable for chavs :colonhash: That was my major point. There was always a version of lower class whites and suburban white youth being brave or whatever enough to overtly model themselves after black music. Not only do they have good taste, lower class people are dreamers and want to be whatever is big and famous.

One era in time, jazz was the rage.

And then came Elvis and the Beatles with rock, who everyone knows loved Motown in the 50s.

Another era, Doo Wop WAS seriously the rage in like the 60s.

And then soul and disco happened in the 70s and everyone bandwagoned that.

Then in the 70s and early 80s reggae was huge.

Then the late 80s and still now more than ever, rap is the hugest.

While Pop was always big, Michael Jackson (black) was the biggest.

Now Beyonce and Rihanna are. I mean whatever :h: Idk how long you'll want to go back n forth with it though.

I agree that rap is majorly black, but I do not agree that chavs are criminals because of rap. I do think they dress like black rappers because of the same reason everyone in the 70s wore platforms and flares: trend. That's it.

Rap metal... the combination of a white dominated (and arguably white music) with black music. While it was highly popular at the time, I would argue it didn't really go anywhere.

Also most of those examples had many influences, not simply black influences (which is the sole influence in the case of rap). Disco for example was basically a grouping of many different ethnic groups, mixed with homosexuals and women.

Anyway, yeah rap to me is an aspect of black culture, however the claim rap encourages crime is a bit complicated. It isn't the main reason for it (poverty is imo), however I do feel it legitimises crime to those who partake in it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Rap metal... the combination of a white dominated (and arguably white music) with black music. While it was highly popular at the time, I would argue it didn't really go anywhere.

Also most of those examples had many influences, not simply black influences (which is the sole influence in the case of rap). Disco for example was basically a grouping of many different ethnic groups, mixed with homosexuals and women.

Anyway, yeah rap to me is an aspect of black culture, however the claim rap encourages crime is a bit complicated. It isn't the main reason for it (poverty is imo), however I do feel it legitimises crime to those who partake in it.

@ bold: in that case, what is white music that isn't influenced by black people?

Country? Well, American country came from bluegrass, which is blues and folk music;

Spoiler

There really isn't any type of Western music that doesn't have black roots, so it's kind of pointless to even bring it up so to exclude rap as being a genre that comes from black culture and history, to say black people influence white chavs. I think it's natural human behaviour to have limited funds, thus picking up a cheap tracksuit and some running shoes, no matter your race or what you're exposed to. I even know chavs and lower class whites who dress "hip" but who are racist :s-smilie:

But long story short, if chavs knowingly act like black rappers it's b/c it's a popular style, as pretty much every decade has had something black that was seen as "the style, the rage." It's pretty wild to say rap legitimises crime! Poverty legitimises crime! So chavs who grow up lower class probably already relate to what rappers talk about and how they dress anyway if we bring in poverty and how it affects people's behaviour. & There are rap songs that don't even talk about crime. :colonhash: They talk about other filth, but not crime :h:

This would great, if "black" culture existed.

A whole bloody race cannot share a culture! There are differences in socioeconomic status, upbringing, nationality of parents and various other things that can form what "culture" you belong to.

Ghetto culture is not in any way "black culture".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
This would great, if "black" culture existed.

A whole bloody race cannot share a culture! There are differences in socioeconomic status, upbringing, nationality of parents and various other things that can form what "culture" you belong to.

Ghetto culture is not in any way "black culture".

Posted from TSR Mobile

Black culture generally applies specifically to african american culture.... usually in it's contribution to wider american or western culture.

Also you're statement is in direct confrontation with the actual definition of culture.... Now you can argue if culture really is a thing, but you have cultures which are very narrow, but generally they are very wide in spectrum.

Also if you consider the fact race and ethnicity are often mistakenly used interchangeably, but in outside academic language generally mean the same thing, Culture can encompass an entire ethnic group, or even multiple ethnic groups.
This sort of music is popular with people who live a long way from the culture that produced it, and those people generally don't change the way they behave. I think the dysfunctional culture came first, and the art is just describing it, rather than the art creating the cultural dysfunction.

"mannaman smoke,
mannaman drink,
mannaman don't give a **** what you think.
Punch him in the face,
shoot him in the back,
drive my big whip straight down to the trap.
Sell that crack,
sell that smack,
don't give a ****.
brap brap brap!!" :colonhash::colonhash::colonhash::colonhash::colonhash::colonhash: Took me literally 5 secs to write that. Put a "hard beat" underneath, I get a million bucks. Whoop dee. :colonhash:

BARS

Get a record label/10
Original post by saywhatm8
Exactly. People also like GTA V and death metal, but it doesn't mean they personally agree with or re-enact the themes depicted in these productions.

Speak for yourself. I wholeheartedly endorse the lyrical content of "Babykiller".
Original post by James E Walker
For the past few days, I've been investigating as to why there's a minority of black individuals in this country where the relative proportion of blacks in prison very much outweighs many other racial denominations.

I've very much been focusing my attention to black youth culture and how they have chosen to represent themselves in the masses. I've come across several artists such as the likes of J Hus (from East London) for example in which his lyrics actively encite violence and things prohibited in UK law. I've had a friend at university decipher some of his lyrics so I can understand the general ongoings of his lyrics.

[video="youtube;W9tHnlAJjFg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9tHnlAJjFg[/video]

In this song we hear bars such as:

"I'll be grafted posted on the corner, like a low life.." - I'll be at a specific location which is where I distribute my produce (narcotics).

"Copped a big dotty, I'm just tryna survive" - I have bought a somewhat sizeable gun for purposes of self-protection.

"Manna poke him up, like a vodoo doll" - I will stab the opposing party, as easily as I would stab a vodoo doll (some sort of wooly toy).

Do you think these verses should be somewhat prohibited as it doesn't benefit society at all. A lot of black students, even at my university listen to similar sorts of tunes which I find very uncomforting and distasteful and it has become engrained into the minds of young black people.

That being said, the tune's hard!

Original post by gr8wizard10
you're moist.

You are indeed... being the same guy.

:lol:
Ok im black and i just wanna know if this was supposed to be offensive cause I can tell u everythin u trynna know bout us so yh pooh don't talk smack ight?
Original post by its-nunya
Ok im black and i just wanna know if this was supposed to be offensive cause I can tell u everythin u trynna know bout us so yh pooh don't talk smack ight?

Please stop bumping old threads :smile:

Latest