The Student Room Group

is 1 slice of meat enough protein for lunch for a grown man?

Dad thinks 1 is enough for adult men, 2 if you are active that day, 3 is greedy and he has had a go at me for being such a glutton before

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1 slice of what I'm thinking of (the tiny little things) is like 6g of protein.
Men require ~56g protein. I.e. approximately 10 slices.. So no...
Original post by Inazuma
1 slice of what I'm thinking of (the tiny little things) is like 6g of protein.
Men require ~56g protein. I.e. approximately 10 slices.. So no...

That's what I thought. But he's adamant it is :/

He feeds sufficiently for dinner although has an odd habit of chopping chicken slices into invisible chunks...
When I bring up that 1 is less than what the dietician at the ED clinic advised, he says 'but the eating disorder was a long time ago, you're much better now'

I'm like smh
Original post by Gott
I prefer 6

Drools

HE says that's too expensive though. I had 3 eggs the other day for lunch and he lectured me about budgeting bro
Original post by Gott
I prefer 6

Drools

HE says that's too expensive though. I had 3 eggs the other day for lunch and he lectured me about budgeting bro. God help me on this future bulk (though I will self fund that)
Calculate how much protein you want a day and work out how to get it.

If they don't want to pay for it then buy yourself more food.
Perhaps it has nothing to do with protein levels, but merely a budget.
Original post by Motorbiker
Calculate how much protein you want a day and work out how to get it.

If they don't want to pay for it then buy yourself more food.

The PT said I'd need +100g a day for my goal.

That's not happening on my current salary.

60g I have been mostly reaching the issue is my father thinking that a 20g serving is a 'bodybuilder's bulk'. He started talking about not being able to.buy steaks every day the other day, I never even brought up steaks wat :redface:
Original post by AMT6
Perhaps it has nothing to do with protein levels, but merely a budget.

Aye. 5g for lunch is poverty line though-in modern Britain anyway. I.know this is a bit of a #firstworldproblem
Reply 10
Meat isn't the only source of protein, so the answer could be yes or no, depending on the other particularities of the diet.
Original post by miser
Meat isn't the only source of protein, so the answer could be yes or no, depending on the other particularities of the diet.

L
sometimes it'll be cheese etc. sure, but other times he has things like marmite or jam on toast for lunch and ai'm pretty sure marmite and jam aren't protein sources! :tongue:

I've also been criticised for using a whole can of beans ir tuna before, or mostly recently 3 boiled eggs on toast for lunch (out of a 12 pack)
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
The PT said I'd need +100g a day for my goal.

That's not happening on my current salary.

60g I have been mostly reaching the issue is my father thinking that a 20g serving is a 'bodybuilder's bulk'. He started talking about not being able to.buy steaks every day the other day, I never even brought up steaks wat :redface:

You've started lifting again? That's good.
Reply 13
you barely need any protein in your diet, and especially not meat, it does more harm than good to your body
Original post by Dilzo999
You've started lifting again? That's good.

Cheers buddy :smile: I'm averaging once a week, trying to get it up to twice

The PT put me off the other day saying it's pointless lifting at all if I'm not eating +100g protein though, hence thread
Your dad is a fool, you know this, but there's nothing you can do about that until he moves out. It's ****ing ****, but it's a fact of life.
Original post by Ursin
you barely need any protein in your diet, and especially not meat, it does more harm than good to your body

Can you cite sources? This is a pretty controversial debate. Considering that sugar is perhaps the single biggest culprit for a high body fat percentage
That's horribly small! You must have non-existent muscle mass with that protein intake :/. Your body would be breaking down muscle to source amino acids as you are lacking them from diet.

I personally consume 200 - 280g of protein a day on a 3100 calorie diet (Gym 6 times a week) and thus to me it seems even more abnormal O_O
Man you can't be that precise, it gets to pedantry and pseudoscience. Just do what you feel, don't over or undereat. But don't eat no carbs and all protein.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Your dad is a fool, you know this, but there's nothing you can do about that until he moves out. It's ****ing ****, but it's a fact of life.

Until HE moves out? Hahahaha

It's his house :redface:

I'm hoping that learning to cook and getting a decent job next year with any luck will.end this silly drama

Quick Reply

Latest