What are the different parties views on energy policy?

Watch
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm especially interested in nuclear, with our aging AGR fleet in this country at need to be building more stations and building them now.

I know the greens are anti - nuclear but wondered what the policies of the other major parties are and if they're all pro which I think they are.
Advertisement
UKIProud
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think Nigel dislikes green energy.
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
I've heard this.

Does he still not believe in global warming?
(Original post by UKIProud)
I think Nigel dislikes green energy.
Advertisement
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Motorbiker)
I've heard this.

Does he still not believe in global warming?
UKIP are the party of the NIMBYs, they oppose wind farms, solar farms and anything else that spoils the view of their Little England backers. In their 2010 manifesto they also denied climate change was real, but I think they've backpedaled on that now.
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dez)
UKIP are the party of the NIMBYs, they oppose wind farms, solar farms and anything else that spoils the view of their Little England backers. In their 2010 manifesto they also denied climate change was real, but I think they've backpedaled on that now.
I just got delivered a UKIP manifesto and they want to rejuvenate the coal industry. I think they may be actually complete list causes.

And not a single mention of nuclear power, but the old AGR fleet nor the new ABWR at hinckley point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advertisement
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Just read conservatives energy section.

Good mentions of new hinckley nuclear station and future investment in nuclear to meet energy demands. Also heavy investment in carbon storage which I think is a dud but everyone seems to love it.

Seems a very sensible energy policy overall. 8/10

Posted from TSR Mobile
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Labour is very wishy washy and doesn't actually say anything of any substance in its manifesto on energy.

They want to set up an energy security board to oversee things which is a good idea but they give no details of who and how they'll be chosen etc. 5/10.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advertisement
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Lib dems seem overly optimistic about the green energy potential of CCS and wind farms etc to provide lots of energy.

They mention nuclear as below but tbh with the investment needed for nuclear power stations public subsidies are probably needed and he admits it very begrudgingly and not enthusiastically.

Accept that new nuclear power stations can play a role in low-carbon electricity supply provided concerns about safety, disposal of waste and cost are adequately addressed and without public subsidy for new build.

6/10
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Strikes me that the most political parties have no real interest in talking about energy policy, especially nuclear power.

The whole thing is just too much trouble and you're likely to annoy as many people as you please, so, from a political point of view, why bother.
Advertisement
thesabbath
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Labour's leader Ed Miliband steered through the costliest policy in history (estimates between £750bn and £1.3tn), the "Climate Change Act" (which was drafted by communist front organisation Friends of the Earth) when he was Energy Secretary: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...ER-BOOKER.html
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
(Original post by thesabbath)
Labour's leader Ed Miliband steered through the costliest policy in history (estimates between £750bn and £1.3tn), the "Climate Change Act" (which was drafted by communist front organisation Friends of the Earth) when he was Energy Secretary: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...ER-BOOKER.html
Tbh that's a great policy for the future of nuclear though since that means a lot more nuclear or renewable needs to be found.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advertisement
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm especially interested in nuclear, with our aging AGR fleet in this country at need to be building more stations and building them now.

I know the greens are anti - nuclear but wondered what the policies of the other major parties are and if they're all pro which I think they are.
Apart from the Greens who are ideologically against nuclear and fossil fuels, and UKIP who are ideologically against green energy, I think the mainstream parties take a broadly similar view, i.e. a bit of everything. Ultimately this is quite a technical issue so you're unlikely to see much coverage or debates about it.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thesabbath)
"Thanks entirely to a last-minute amendment by Miliband, this Act commits us within 35 years to cutting Britain’s emissions of carbon dioxide, or CO2, by a staggering 80 per cent — to a level so low it hadn’t been seen since the early 19th century."

Sounds brilliant to me. Good on Ed for cleaning up our nation.
Advertisement
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dumachi)
the UK only generates 2% of the worlds Co2
"Only 2%" is massive when you consider how small the UK is compared to the rest of the world. Our pollution, while nowhere near as bad as places like China I'll grant, is still very disproportionate.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Labour is very wishy washy and doesn't actually say anything of any substance in its manifesto on energy.

They want to set up an energy security board to oversee things which is a good idea but they give no details of who and how they'll be chosen etc. 5/10.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Labour not giving out any details. Shock horror....oh wait a minute. That's what they normally do.
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
I wish we adopt: Liquid fluoride thorium reactors.
UKIP is anti green because the reality is the UK only generates 2% of the worlds Co2... Yet we waste billions and billions of pounds on solar and wind energy...
And how many full size thorium reactors are there currently running and producing power?

Whilst the safety case is being written for that over the next thirty years we need proven technology such as more nuclear stations.

Everyone needs to do their part. What is our amount on a per person basis? 70 million / 7 billion = 1% of the population. Oh look, we're crap and double what our fair share would be.
NormiesOut
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dez)
"Only 2%" is massive when you consider how small the UK is compared to the rest of the world. Our pollution, while nowhere near as bad as places like China I'll grant, is still very disproportionate.
Get over it, hippy
Advertisement
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
Apart from the Greens who are ideologically against nuclear and fossil fuels, and UKIP who are ideologically against green energy, I think the mainstream parties take a broadly similar view, i.e. a bit of everything. Ultimately this is quite a technical issue so you're unlikely to see much coverage or debates about it.
Yea, that's what I gathered from my research as well. Even their manifestos lack details.

Also, this is something that will play out over the next twenty + years, not just the next five.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by NormiesOut)
Get over it, hippy
Top notch debating right there.
SeaPony
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wish we adopt: Liquid fluoride thorium reactors.
UKIP is anti green because the reality is the UK only generates 2% of the worlds Co2... Yet we waste billions and billions of pounds on solar and wind energy...
That the average person has to pay for through Ed Milibands climate change act while he goes on about reducing bills is truly a laugh. This man is a desperate hypocrite who is doing all he can to get into number 10 as he has dreamed of that seat all of his life. A desperate man who could not care less about the average working man or woman. A true parasite.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads