identifying functional groups in a compound...

Watch
Lamalam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago

i wanna identify all the functional groups in this compound.
so far , I identified:
-secondary amine
-sulfoxide (s=o)
-ether (-o-)

Is there any more functional groups ??

there is 2 question, I identify 1 benzene ring, but the 5 membered ring attached right next to it also have its own name as a functional group, its called imidazole. SO, should I just say there are both benzene ring and imidazole as functional group?

Also, can I say the nitrogen ring on the right as pyridine although there are two methyl group and ether attached to it? if not , is it a functional group?

thank you very much!
Attached files
Infraspecies
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The benzene connected to an imidazole has a name; benzimidazole.
In the pyridine derivative, it is the pyridine's nature that will make it responsible (largely) for the chemistry, so I would class a "pyridine derivative" as a functional group, yes.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lamalam)

i wanna identify all the functional groups in this compound.
so far , I identified:
-secondary amine
-sulfoxide (s=o)
-ether (-o-)

Is there any more functional groups ??(...)
What is about NH? first I thought that it is the amino group, but the amino group has two H-atoms, so NH2, right? Moreover it does not look like an amino acid, not to mention like a DNA structure or. And these are the only molecules where amino groups exist, if I am not mistaken.
Lamalam
Rep:
?
(Original post by Infraspecies)
The benzene connected to an imidazole has a name; benzimidazole.
In the pyridine derivative, it is the pyridine's nature that will make it responsible (largely) for the chemistry, so I would class a "pyridine derivative" as a functional group, yes.
thank you for your reply, my teacher allowed me to write the name out so i go with the name "benzimidazole.". But am i correct in identifying the fucntional groups in the attached picture? should i consider pyridine as one , ignoring all the attached substituent ?

thank you!
Attached files
Lamalam
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kallisto)
What is about NH? first I thought that it is the amino group, but the amino group has two H-atoms, so NH2, right? Moreover it does not look like an amino acid, not to mention like a DNA structure or. And these are the only molecules where amino groups exist, if I am not mistaken.
Amine group?? i thought only secondary amine is involved...
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lamalam)
Amine group?? i thought only secondary amine is involved...
No, no, my mistake, there is not an amino group. NH is just a part of the chemical compound benzimidazole. The only functional groups which I can recognise are the named sulfoxide by yourself and the four methyl groups (-CH3 or -H3C).
Lamalam
Rep:
?
up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (25)
16.78%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (49)
32.89%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (14)
9.4%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (15)
10.07%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.7%
I think it's an unfair expectation (36)
24.16%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
2.01%

Watched Threads