The Student Room Group

identifying functional groups in a compound...

i wanna identify all the functional groups in this compound.
so far , I identified:
-secondary amine
-sulfoxide (s=o)
-ether (-o-)

Is there any more functional groups ??

there is 2 question, I identify 1 benzene ring, but the 5 membered ring attached right next to it also have its own name as a functional group, its called imidazole. SO, should I just say there are both benzene ring and imidazole as functional group?

Also, can I say the nitrogen ring on the right as pyridine although there are two methyl group and ether attached to it? if not , is it a functional group?

thank you very much!:smile:
The benzene connected to an imidazole has a name; benzimidazole.
In the pyridine derivative, it is the pyridine's nature that will make it responsible (largely) for the chemistry, so I would class a "pyridine derivative" as a functional group, yes.
Original post by Lamalam

i wanna identify all the functional groups in this compound.
so far , I identified:
-secondary amine
-sulfoxide (s=o)
-ether (-o-)

Is there any more functional groups ??(...)

What is about NH? first I thought that it is the amino group, but the amino group has two H-atoms, so NH2, right? Moreover it does not look like an amino acid, not to mention like a DNA structure or. And these are the only molecules where amino groups exist, if I am not mistaken.
Reply 3
Original post by Infraspecies
The benzene connected to an imidazole has a name; benzimidazole.
In the pyridine derivative, it is the pyridine's nature that will make it responsible (largely) for the chemistry, so I would class a "pyridine derivative" as a functional group, yes.

thank you for your reply, my teacher allowed me to write the name out so i go with the name "benzimidazole.". But am i correct in identifying the fucntional groups in the attached picture? should i consider pyridine as one , ignoring all the attached substituent ?

thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by Kallisto
What is about NH? first I thought that it is the amino group, but the amino group has two H-atoms, so NH2, right? Moreover it does not look like an amino acid, not to mention like a DNA structure or. And these are the only molecules where amino groups exist, if I am not mistaken.

Amine group?? i thought only secondary amine is involved...
Original post by Lamalam
Amine group?? i thought only secondary amine is involved...

No, no, my mistake, there is not an amino group. NH is just a part of the chemical compound benzimidazole. The only functional groups which I can recognise are the named sulfoxide by yourself and the four methyl groups (-CH3 or -H3C).
Reply 6
up

Quick Reply

Latest