is it unusual that I don't have a laptop?

Watch
charlotte1998xxx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, is it unusual that I'm 17 and I don't have my own laptop? In my house all we have is the family computer. I used to think this was normal but all my friends have their own laptops and I often hear people at school discussing their laptops. Now I feel like an oddball :confused: I just use my phone and tablet to watch stuff and buy stuff and the family computer to do homework. Is this abnormal? Do you all have laptops? I'm planning on buying one soon.
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by charlotte1998xxx)
Hi, is it unusual that I'm 17 and I don't have my own laptop? In my house all we have is the family computer. I used to think this was normal but all my friends have their own laptops and I often hear people at school discussing their laptops. Now I feel like an oddball :confused: I just use my phone and tablet to watch stuff and buy stuff and the family computer to do homework. Is this abnormal? Do you all have laptops? I'm planning on buying one soon.
Nope...I used to just have a desktop computer, still do but now a tablet as well.
You seem pretty normal, you have access to the internet at home and have a shared computer.
TheMightyP
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
FFS. No it isn't.
T.I.P
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No sorry.. lol did you think not having a laptop made you interesting and crazy? Lololol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Storme
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We had a shared family computer, I got my laptop at 16.

I think the only reason I got it was because my (younger) brother had to (yes, it was compulsory!) get one for school and my parents didn't want me getting jealous

I would say it's unusual, but not necessarily "weird" or "strange" as long as you have access to a family computer. I would definitely think it was odd if your home had no internet access.
hellodave5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You may not need a laptop at your age. The differences will probably become more significant when you have to write essays for college and stuff, in which you will need a personal computer. The only difference I can think of is games - but a PlayStation or Xbox pull their weight, particularly the new ones.
hellodave5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You may not need a laptop at your age. The differences will probably become more significant when you have to write essays for uni and stuff, in which you will need a personal computer.
German123
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nope, its not unusual as i got my first laptop at 16 and probably would not have had it if it was not on reduction.
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No I'm 17 and used the house shared computer and my tablet until my dad got a laptop in late December so it's only been 4 months. I used to hear people talk about their laptops in school aswell so I know what you mean about feeling like the odd one out but as long as you have Internet access then it doesn't really matter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes, it is unusual and abnormal, especially these days and at your age.
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Arkasia)
Yes, it is unusual and abnormal, especially these days and at your age.
Woah wouldn't go as far as to say it was abnormal. Maybe she can't afford one or doesn't see the point in having one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1331498
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is quite unusual, everyone I know has a laptop.
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by r-t)
Woah wouldn't go as far as to say it was abnormal. Maybe she can't afford one or doesn't see the point in having one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm ignoring the negative aspects often attached to the word, by definition it is abnormal.

Definition of abnormal in English:

adjective

Deviating from what is normal or usual

T.I.P
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Arkasia)
I'm ignoring the negative aspects often attached to the word, by definition it is abnormal.

Definition of abnormal in English:

adjective

Deviating from what is normal or usual

You must be joking...

Posted from TSR Mobile
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not unusual or abnormal at all. Don't get sucked in to 'envy' consumerism.

Friendship should never depend on you owning a laptop!
zozoxx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Normal imo. Discussing laptop? Lol, surely they got better stuff to do yh than that
Xctv
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's not abnormal, it's just not very practical.
Sgt.Incontro
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Its uncommon, and you are in the minority, but it's not necessarily a negative thing. Not very practical though.

Myself, I would struggle with anything less than 2 laptops.
TheGreatImposter
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't have my own laptop. We have a family computer and my brother, sister or dad has a laptop so I can always usually use something. Hope to get my own when I go university though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
InArduisFouette
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
OP let me check this

you have a desktop ( or decent access to )
you have a tablet and a smart phone

not at all odd really
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
22.48%
Excited but a bit nervous (117)
45.35%
Not bothered either way (34)
13.18%
I'm really nervous (49)
18.99%

Watched Threads