The Student Room Group

which access...? / East Sussex

Hello
I would like to study veterinary science.I want to become a vet and definitely not a vet nurse.
I was planning to do an access course in science at Sussex Coast college but they will not run it as there are not enough students.
They proposed me the access to health and health sciences and I am waiting for their e-mail showing what exactly we will be taught to send it to the University I would like to go to ...to see if they will accept it and what else I need to study to cover all requirements.
I am thinking if I should do A levels instead or if I should move out and find another college.Second option is not that easy as I have a little boy.

The college advices me that maybe the chemistry I will be taught on the course they will run,won't be enough.
Is it possible doing an access and A levels in chemistry?I need distinctions and since I have my son and I am self employed, I was planning to concentrate on the access only.

any advice please?
Original post by KatK2014
Hello
I would like to study veterinary science.I want to become a vet and definitely not a vet nurse.
I was planning to do an access course in science at Sussex Coast college but they will not run it as there are not enough students.
They proposed me the access to health and health sciences and I am waiting for their e-mail showing what exactly we will be taught to send it to the University I would like to go to ...to see if they will accept it and what else I need to study to cover all requirements.
I am thinking if I should do A levels instead or if I should move out and find another college.Second option is not that easy as I have a little boy.

The college advices me that maybe the chemistry I will be taught on the course they will run,won't be enough.
Is it possible doing an access and A levels in chemistry?I need distinctions and since I have my son and I am self employed, I was planning to concentrate on the access only.

any advice please?

I don't think access to health and health sciences are science related enough. I'm currently studying my A levels and will be applying for veterinary medicine in September

Honestly I think A levels are the best way to go for you, universities are very picky with your academics and want high science grades, most being AAB or AAA.
Reply 2
Since I posted this I saw people passing with not even having GCSE Maths and Science(!) so I assume each Uni has it's own secret rules ...apart from the obvious ones they advertise.So lets hope for the best, we will get there eventually :smile:
There are no 'secret rules'. University admission decisions have to be transparent, consistent, and fair.

If you are a mature applicant (ie. over 21) then each application is considered on its whole merits (ie. what have you done since leaving school that might make up for you having low GCSEs etc). However, what they wont do is offer you a place if there is not enough evidence that you have the appropriate skills in essential science or maths and therefore could not cope with the academic demands of the course, ie. that you cant work at the same level as someone with 6 A grade GCSEs and AAA at A level.

YOu will find that A levels are often difficult to study as a mature student now as most colleges will only run them for conventionally aged students and/or those doing retakes. This policy is usually related to college funding. Access to HE courses are usually easier to do, but you do need to make sure that the hard science content is enough, especially Chemistry. Check with a variety of Unis that the course you intend to do is appropriate in this regard before you start it. Remember you will need to achieve a very high number of Distinctions within the Access course to get the equivalent of AAA at A level, and you will probably need to get high grades in Maths and English if you dont already have this. No, you dont need to take A level Chemistry as well as Access (if its the 'right' Access course), and as a working single parent that's probably too much to aim for any way.

As you are probably aware, you also need substantial work-experience completed before you apply - at least 4 weeks clinical experience at a number of different practices and at least 4 weeks 'other animal' experience - farms, lambing, rescue centres, zoos, abattoirs, labs etc. This can also often be difficult for older applicants to rack up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending