The Student Room Group

miserable year at uni

I'm a girl studying physics and I'm in 2nd year. I had a great first year at uni. I enjoyed it and and got the results I wanted in the end, but this year has been the opposite. I know the year is almost over now, but I've hated this uni year.
For a start I had to go to a poor quality accommodation that I didn't want to go to and ended up with terrible flat mates. They're loud and don't clean anything up. I can only sleep really late mosts nights because they are so loud. I've felt ill half the time this year from the lack of sleep I get. I wanted to move out earlier on, but couldn't as I would have lost a lot of money.
My boyfriend that I'd been with for a year cheated on me, so we split up and I still can't get over him. I've cut contact but still I feel upset over it.
I failed half of my modules that I've taken because the work is a lot harder this year and I struggle so much with it. I'm at a high ranked uni and this course is tough, and I feel they set their standards too high for me. I don't even know if I'll get into next year.
Sometimes I just feel like wanting to go to a different place and just start fresh, but I know I shouldn't do that unless I have to.
You said yourself that first year was much better, so you can enjoy yourself at your current university.

Try and tackle each problem 1 by 1:
- Have you sorted better accommodation for next year?
- With your boyfriend, give it time, and you will get over him. It is natural to be upset about it
- In regards to the modules you have failed, have you talked to your personal tutor about how you are struggling. Your lecturers might be able to help if you are finding the work too difficult.
leave

you cannot solve a problem by staying in the same place that causes the problem
Definitely don't leave. I had an awful second year at uni, accommodation issues, fall outs with friends etc etc. I got a mid 2.2 at the end of the year and was dreading going back for 3rd year. When I went back I went to see my personal tutor about dropping out, they were great. They basically told me I only had about 8 months left, might as well stick it out and pointed me in the direction of where to get help. I stayed and got my degree and I am so glad I did. I ended up really enjoying my 3rd year and staying on to do a masters. You're more than 2/3 of the way through now and although a year probably seems like a very long time, in the scheme of things, it's a very short amount of time. Go and see your personal tutor and find out where you can get some help and what your options are.
Also, your year in your current accommodation is almost over. It might be much better next year. I found that while I had issues with the accommodation I was living with and the girls I was living with, this had a massive effect on the rest of my life. Once I moved, everything seemed to get a lot better.
Reply 4
Original post by Happy_feet90
Definitely don't leave. I had an awful second year at uni, accommodation issues, fall outs with friends etc etc. I got a mid 2.2 at the end of the year and was dreading going back for 3rd year. When I went back I went to see my personal tutor about dropping out, they were great. They basically told me I only had about 8 months left, might as well stick it out and pointed me in the direction of where to get help. I stayed and got my degree and I am so glad I did. I ended up really enjoying my 3rd year and staying on to do a masters. You're more than 2/3 of the way through now and although a year probably seems like a very long time, in the scheme of things, it's a very short amount of time. Go and see your personal tutor and find out where you can get some help and what your options are.
Also, your year in your current accommodation is almost over. It might be much better next year. I found that while I had issues with the accommodation I was living with and the girls I was living with, this had a massive effect on the rest of my life. Once I moved, everything seemed to get a lot better.

I second this ^^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending