The Student Room Group

Modern/Progressive relationships

Nearly everyone who's in a relationship today is in a modern relationship, modern usually meaning having a partner but having an agreement to have sex outside the primary relationship or even having multiple lovers. Very few people have a traditional monogamous relationship where both partners are exclusive to eachother, I don't know a single couple like this. Do we see monogamy as being all but dead and will all relationships in the future be open? Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

I agree. It's all texting these days, nothing romantic. Sex is so casual, and either party really doesn't care if they cheat on the other.

It's a rather sad state of affairs :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I disagree, there are still plenty of people out there to who monogamy is important, just need to know where to look i guess:smile:
Everyone I know is in an "old fashioned " relationship
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
I agree. It's all texting these days, nothing romantic. Sex is so casual, and either party really doesn't care if they cheat on the other.

It's a rather sad state of affairs :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not a bad thing IMO, I personally find it refreshing that people are now exploring alternative relationships and have a modern progressive way of thinking about love and sex. I truly believe all relationships will become open in the future and polygamy/polyandry will not only be legal but become the norn for anyone who wants a family and children, I for one cannot wait!
Here is a great video where this topic was addressed recently on a NY radio show, they talk about how most people are now in open relationships and how sharing is caring, you should watch this especially those who still have an old fashioned mindset unless you want to be left behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEa3-Lz3XpE
Do you just associate with a certain type? Everyone in a relationship that I know has a traditional relationship.
I do but i'm led to believe from my experiences that most people are now progressive or at least open to the idea of it.
Reply 8
I mix with a group of people who are very progressive in all respects culturally and intellectually, many of them are in open relationships. Despite this, I'd say the majority of people I know are still traditional/monogamous. How have you found a majority who aren't?

It really isn't for everyone, and like every kind of relationship it has to be done properly: set up for the right reasons with full respect and truly mutually agreed boundaries, which quite often it isn't for one reason or another. Probably no more often than ordinary relationships are gone about the wrong way mind.
People are complicated creatures with all kinds of insecurities and issues, sometimes when getting that close keeping it to just two is genuinely best of all.
Probably because I mix with the same groups of people as you Ribbits :biggrin:
Anyone else in a progressive relationship?
that's not progress lol
How is it not progressive?
Reply 13
Not again.:rolleyes: How many threads are you going to open on your fetish?
Original post by The Reasoner
Nearly everyone who's in a relationship today is in a modern relationship, modern usually meaning having a partner but having an agreement to have sex outside the primary relationship or even having multiple lovers. Very few people have a traditional monogamous relationship where both partners are exclusive to eachother, I don't know a single couple like this. Do we see monogamy as being all but dead and will all relationships in the future be open? Discuss.

you're extrapolating from (I'm guessing!) a feeling you have
I'm in a monogamous long term relationship which I intend to stay in forever :smile:
I have a funny feeling that you are at university? and everyone is 'like f**king everyone yah and it's like totally open'
yeah while some people choose to be in open relationships/have sex with lots of different people this isn't the case for probably over half of people also people lie about having WAY more sex/interesting sex than they are getting!
also open doesn't mean progressive. progressive means progressive. :/
monogamy still exists it's just hard work but it can and does happen
I'd like to think I'm a prime example of this but I have to remember hubris!!
take care :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
That's your opinion and I respect it. I wouldn't say over half of couples are monogamous though, far from it. In my experience it's about 10% but nationally it's probably a bit more, perhaps 25% but I couldn't say for sure.
There is nothing modern about this relationship style and most people are not into it. At least not in the sense of it being agreed upon.
Call me old fashioned (and you I know you will) but I am only interested in a monogamous relationship. I have a large friend group and although not everyone is in a relationship those that are are in a monogamous one. What is the point of even declaring you're in a relationship if you are not going to loyal to it. :confused:
Whatever works for you but please don't judge me on wanting to go the traditional route.
This thread is open for everyone to share their views, I am not here to judge you but simply to give you my own opinion so don't worry. :smile:
Original post by hopeforthebest1
Call me old fashioned (and you I know you will) but I am only interested in a monogamous relationship. I have a large friend group and although not everyone is in a relationship those that are are in a monogamous one. What is the point of even declaring you're in a relationship if you are not going to loyal to it. :confused:
Whatever works for you but please don't judge me on wanting to go the traditional route.

Same here. I don't think I'd ever want to be in an open relationship. It might be fun at first, but then feelings start growing all over the place and I just couldn't deal with that. If I'm with someone, I'm with them exclusively.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending