The Student Room Group

Modern/Progressive relationships

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by icdjabtjk
actually I find your pov narrow minded everything you say boring, repetitive and you to have no intelligent opinion. Basically it is going around in circles and you have very bad social skills, childish as displayed by your last message, unable to consider alternative points of view, trying to turn everything into an argument and competition in which you wish to hammer your narrow pov in an endless circle of posts which are basically the same thing back and forth. It is one of the least desirable things for me to do with my time right now to continue or get sucked into an endless internet argument with someone, when I really only wished to make one point which is that the definition of monogamy currently used does not live up to traditional monogamy (as the OP mentioned). Everything else here (the back and forth between us) I consider a mess which shouldnt even be here.

I understand your point of view, I just disagree with it. You are the one who admittedly doesn't understand the opposing view, despite me explaining it several times. That last message was admittedly immature, but only out of frustration of your inability to understand and incredibly simple concept. Seriously, what is so hard to understand about people finding breaching an agreement more hurtful than just the act of a partner having sex with someone else?
Reply 41
Original post by The Reasoner
They are getting more and more popular, they are by no means a tiny minority. That link you posted if you took time to read the comments you would have seen most people commenting how they're in non monogamous relationships but you just overlooked that. Just accept it, monogamy is dead. :smile:

It says perhaps 5% of people are actually in non-monogamous relationships with up to 30% of men and half that of women willing to try them. I will take the stats over the comments.
Original post by lucaf
It says perhaps 5% of people are actually in non-monogamous relationships with up to 30% of men and half that of women willing to try them. I will take the stats over the comments.
The stats were biased, if you read the comments you would see people saying the people surveyed on the polls were from biased social media outlets such as facebook and plenty of fish, if they interviewed people 28+ the results would have very different.
Reply 43
The agreement itself is based on sex, which implies that they find the idea of their partner having sex with someone else upsetting to have come up with such an agreement in the first place. Otherwise why would they not be bothered about their partner having sex with someone else, but then for some reason come up with an agreement that their partner wont have sex with someone else, and then be upset not that their partner had sex with someone else but that this pointless agreement was broken. Obviously the agreement, the breech of trust etc.. only exists because of the idea of their partner not being with someone else. Otherwise why dont they have an agreement their partner wont eat cheese instead? Or anything else. No the agreement and trust you are talking about revolves around the idea that they should not sleep with other people. Yet you expect your partner to have slept with other people and say its fine everyone has a past.. at the same time. I find it stupid.

The agreement comes from the cultural idea that when you are in a relationship with someone you exclusively have sex with that person. Yes that is ultimately arbitrary, as you pointed out with your cheese example, but the point is that an agreement is still being made. Having sex before a relationship is by definition not a betrayal as no agreement is broken, whereas sex with another person during the relationship does break an agreement and so is a betrayal. While the act is the same it is the breach of trust that makes the latter worse in most peoples eyes. In instances where that agreement is not made (for example open relationships) the same action is not a betrayal, because once more no agreement is being broken. So it is not the action but the context of it being a breach of trust that makes it wrong, which is hardly an irrational concept.

All the arguments people could use to justify your partner having a sexual past could be used to justify your partner sleeping with people whilst being with you and vice versa e.g. you can say

"oh youre only bothered about your partners past because youre insecure about their exes".. and "youre only bothered about your partner sleeping with other people whilst being in a committed relationship with you because youre insecure about their other lovers".

"you dont want your partner to have a past because you are controlling want to feel like you own them".. and "you dont want your partner to be with other people whilst with you because you are controlling and want to feel like you own them".

"You think your partner owed you loyalty before they even met you, how could they know they wanted you before they had met you whilst they were sleeping with all the other people, but they met you now and now they're happy with you"... and "How can your partner truly know you are the one she wants to be with if she is not allowed to meet and have sex with other people whilst being with you, they are with you now, they can also be with other people now too and if you are truly meant to be then they will like you the most out of everyone theyre with and you'll stay together"

etc.

Well yes, obviously. I admit that monogamy is ultimately arbitrary, and there is nothing wrong with open relationships. However if you have entered a monogamous relationship and then sleep with somebody else you have broken an agreement. It doesn't matter that the agreement was arbitrary, you were trusted to keep it and you broke that trust.

I do still disagree with the "owing your partner something before you met them" thing though. You can disapprove of what they have done in the past, but if they weren't with you it can't be a personal attack on you.

The idea that people should be hugely upset for their partner to sleep with someone whilst theyre together, but fine with their partner to have a past, ironically probably stems from insecurity the most, ironic becuase these same people may claim that people who have a problem with someones sexual past are insecure. So the two ideals are actually fairly similar I think, the current cultural version is just the most regular and easy comprimise, it's not a perfect format which makes a lot of logical sense or can be argued, like you are arguing for this interpretation and arguing against all others. In reality, it isnt like this. and yes to me either monogamy (only ever having one partner) or polyamory, where you arent bothered what order your partner has sex with people in, make the most sense.

I do understand what you are saying, that it is irrational to claim monogamy while actually seeing multiple people in your lifetime, but I think you are missing the point of why people have multiple monogamous partners. People have partners for more or less the same reasons as in your "truly" monogamous relationships, but it comes with the understanding that those relationships don't always work out. A previous relationship is just a failed version of what you are trying to get right in your current one. So a committed relationship with somebody who has previous sexual partners is not the same as them sleeping with others during the relationship, because in the former their objective is to only ever have to sleep with you in the future.
Original post by lucaf
The agreement comes from the cultural idea that when you are in a relationship with someone you exclusively have sex with that person. Yes that is ultimately arbitrary, as you pointed out with your cheese example, but the point is that an agreement is still being made. Having sex before a relationship is by definition not a betrayal as no agreement is broken, whereas sex with another person during the relationship does break an agreement and so is a betrayal. While the act is the same it is the breach of trust that makes the latter worse in most peoples eyes. In instances where that agreement is not made (for example open relationships) the same action is not a betrayal, because once more no agreement is being broken. So it is not the action but the context of it being a breach of trust that makes it wrong, which is hardly an irrational concept.

Well yes, obviously. I admit that monogamy is ultimately arbitrary, and there is nothing wrong with open relationships. However if you have entered a monogamous relationship and then sleep with somebody else you have broken an agreement. It doesn't matter that the agreement was arbitrary, you were trusted to keep it and you broke that trust.

I do still disagree with the "owing your partner something before you met them" thing though. You can disapprove of what they have done in the past, but if they weren't with you it can't be a personal attack on you.

I do understand what you are saying, that it is irrational to claim monogamy while actually seeing multiple people in your lifetime, but I think you are missing the point of why people have multiple monogamous partners. People have partners for more or less the same reasons as in your "truly" monogamous relationships, but it comes with the understanding that those relationships don't always work out. A previous relationship is just a failed version of what you are trying to get right in your current one. So a committed relationship with somebody who has previous sexual partners is not the same as them sleeping with others during the relationship, because in the former their objective is to only ever have to sleep with you in the future.
I don't know about you but i'd rather have one everlasting open relationship rather than countless failed monogamous relationships. Monogamy doesn't work, humans are not monogamous they never have been. Stop going against your nature and pretend you're monogamous when you're not.
Reply 45
I don't know about you but i'd rather have one everlasting open relationship rather than countless failed monogamous relationships. Monogamy doesn't work, humans are not monogamous they never have been. Stop going against your nature and pretend you're monogamous when you're not.

I'd rather have one completely monogamous relationship than anything else. Plenty of people make it work and live long, happy lives together. I see nothing unnatural against it, many wild animals are monogynous by nature.
Well personally I'd rather have a childhood sweetheart where we'd just be best friends and do really innocent stuff like make valentines cards for each other in like year 1 of primary school or something, not even kiss or anything because that's gross! Then maybe drift apart a little as I'll be playing football and messing around with my guy friends, but still have a soft spot for each other, then maybe get a little closer by like year 6 or something, then we'd go to highschool and I'd do my own thing like play fight/wrestle, football at times, but we'd maybe walk home together? and look after each other in school sometimes like if she was having a bad day.. then maybe by like year 9 we'd be like officially bf and gf and have our first kiss either of us has together, and maybe we'd start going out in a group of friends together, having fun.. then by year 10 and 11 it would be going out getting a little drunk at the weekend sometimes, going to parties with awesome trance music. Then say by first year of sixthform/college I'd get my driving licence and we can drive around to places, I think this is the time we'd lose our virginity to each other as well. And then by now we're really in love.. we'd look after each other in college, show an interest in each others work etc.. then maybe we'd end up going to the same uni.. or different ones but it wouldnt matter we'd see each other lots.. then after uni we'd get a house and live together. Then this is a person I've known my whole life, I know everything about her, we know everything about each other and love each other so much! Were each others crush since we were really young, each others sweethearts, and weve experienced everything together, our sexual history and stuff is not a mishmash of other people.

That is what I would want the most! It's not possible though because I am already way too old now and thats not going to happen ha. the love of my life wasnt in the same school as me and always around me.. and I even went to an all boys highschool lol.

If I could choose though I'd choose that for myself.

Sounds great in theory, impossible in practice. Fairytale romances simply don't exist, especially in the social media era where your options to have many partners is endless and cheating is so common. This is why I myself have gone MGTOW, I have no intention of ever being in a relationship with any women, I feel this way i'll save any future heartache and agony I would have inevitably faced had I chosen old fashioned monogamy. This is why I favour non monogamy/open relationships, although I wouldn't personally be able to keep up with that lifestyle I feel people who are not monogamous are generally happier, healthier and a lot better off than those pretending they're monogamous. True love and commitment died a long time ago, it's time people got on board with that and adapted to modern day soceity.
Reply 47
Your point still isnt relevant though and is just making it go around in circles, I've already explained that it's nonsensical to say that it's not the sex which is upsetting but the broken agreement, when the agreement is that you wont have sex with other people, it's nonsensical for the agreement not to have sex with others to exist to be an issue in the first place if your partner having sex with other people wasnt an issue. You cant address this point but go back to saying "its not the sex thats the problem its the broken agreement" which is why I say it would just go on and on in circles endlessly. It is an incredibly irrational concept that a pointless agreement should be in place in the first place in your version that what the agreement is based upon doesnt matter. The only thing that makes sense is that the agreement not to have sex with other people is made because your partner not having sex with other people is actually important. Which is why only true monogamy or polyamory where you have sex with whoever at any time make sense.

Why does an agreement not to have sex with

About being inconsiderate of your future partner - In a lot of cultures in the world today many people think more about marriage, like how girls from the UK may think of boys they like, celebrities, boybands, boys in their class they like and would like to date.. in other cultures some girls may think of their dream wedding. In many cultures dating isnt normal and you are not supposed to be with anyone until you are married, because that is an offence to your future wife/husband, it is cheating on your future marriage partner. This is considerate of your future partner, and people may see being with other people before marriage as a betreyal. I dont think this is irrational at all but it makes sense. Why wouldnt a couple want to share everything with their soulmate. Especially if you are monogamous, if your partner has experiences with other people then you'll never know what you missed out on that they did with other people. If you're putting it all on one person, then it's rational to want to do everything with that person also.

Polygamy makes perfect sense to me because some people want to sleep with more than one person.

What makes the least sense is making arbitrary rules based around it being upsetting if your partner sleeps with other people, but in specific timeframes, like "its ok I can sleep with this person now but not when im married" or say for example a guy being horrified at seeing his partner in bed with another person, even if they knew it was a one off and it wouldnt affect the relationship, but at the same time absolutely fine if that same exact event is moved back in time. You have to admit that if a guy had to let another guy have sex with his girlfriend, and had to watch, but he knew his girlfriend would still stay with him and it was a one off, he still might hate to watch it, feel sick, insecure, it could break up the relationship and cause many issues, yet if that exact same event was put to before they were together and he didnt have to watch it he will say "its ok it was in the past" (even though the first example will be in the past as soon as its over also), and he will invent many things in his mind to help out his ego (without even knowing if theyre true) like "my partner prefers me", "the past doesnt matter" etc, justifications to feel secure enough in the relationship. That is all modern one at a time polygamy is doing.

Basically it comes down to finding the bolded bit ridiculous, but there being advantages to monogamous relationships. Committing to the first person you are romantically involved in for the rest of your life is often a terrible idea (I dread to think of having to have stayed with my first girlfriend forever :tongue:), but people enjoy the stability of monogamous relationships which is absent in pure polyamory. The solution? Having monogamous relationships, but leaving them if they don't work. That isn't irrational, it is practical. Open relationships are probably slightly more logical than that, but lack the structure that society tends to crave. For that to work, the context of people having sex does matter: there is no expectation for them to remain celibate before they met you as that would limit you to the pitfalls of inescapable "old fashioned" relationships, but there is for them to remain faithful while with you or it can eliminate the stability that made the relationship appealing. Open relationships do often work, but that is generally either when the couple has been together monogamously for long enough that they trust it not to destabilise them, or when the relationship is casual enough for it not to matter.

Basically, standard relationships are a social construct but one that arises as a practical compromise, and the concept of what does and doesn't constitute cheating rationally follows on from that.
yeah thats one of the reasons why I need to get out of this country
Try asia or the far east, I heard the women there are more loyal and still practice traditional monogamy. Monogamy in the west is dead, long gone and will never return.
yeah and I want to travel a lot anyway, I want to go from the middle east across to South East Asia. See Gaza and Jerusalem, Iran, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Burma, Thailand, Vietnam.. and whatever in between :P I think It'd be awesome.

Goodluck man, who knows you may even find a partner or two while you're out there (or 3, 4, 5 etc :tongue:)just be careful of ladyboys in Thailand theres's a lot out there, unless that's your thing of course in which case fill your boots! :biggrin:
Nearly everyone who's in a relationship today is in a modern relationship, modern usually meaning having a partner but having an agreement to have sex outside the primary relationship or even having multiple lovers. Very few people have a traditional monogamous relationship where both partners are exclusive to eachother, I don't know a single couple like this. Do we see monogamy as being all but dead and will all relationships in the future be open? Discuss.

What people do you know?!

I've only met people who are exclusive to one another. :s-smilie:
thanks and lol no ladyboys arent really my thing. I dont think I really have a thing tbh, in the past before I was ever in a relationship for the longest time I was just really loyal to the idea that one day I'd find my "soul mate" and we'd share everything together. Now idk. Who knows, never say never, what happens in Thailand stays in Thailand right.

Indeed it does my friend, have fun out there, enjoy your life and don't worry about finding love or your "soul mate". If it happen it happens, if it never happens who cares your life wasn't destined to be that way. As long as you can say on your death bed I lived life to its fullest and had a ****ing blast you'll die a happy man. :cool:
Original post by Tillybop
What people do you know?!

I've only met people who are exclusive to one another. :s-smilie:
Normal everyday people like me and you, although I tend to socialize with highly intelligent individuals with degrees and work in highly important jobs, not sure if that has any correlation to non monogamy but i'm just answering your question.
Original post by Dheorl
I'd rather have one completely monogamous relationship than anything else. Plenty of people make it work and live long, happy lives together. I see nothing unnatural against it, many wild animals are monogynous by nature.

Lol plenty of people? Your grandparents perhaps yes, that was a very long time ago. It's time you adapted to the modern climate and stop believing in this fairytale romance nonsense it doesn't exist, neither does the tooth fairy, father christmas or any other fictional being or tale you were led to believe as a child. Time to grow up and get out in the real world young man. :smile:
Reply 54
Lol plenty of people? Your grandparents perhaps yes, that was a very long time ago. It's time you adapted to the modern climate and stop believing in this fairytale romance nonsense it doesn't exist, neither does the tooth fairy, father christmas or any other fictional being or tale you were led to believe as a child. Time to grow up and get out in the real world young man. :smile:

I know plenty of people my age and older who have been making monogamy work for a long time. If it works for them who are you to criticise it? I really don't see why you think everyone should be in open relationships. If you're not enough to satisfy your girlfriend and she needs to go see other people then that's fine, I won't think any less of you for it, but don't assume everyone else has the same problem.
Reply 55
Normal everyday people like me and you, although I tend to socialize with highly intelligent individuals with degrees and work in highly important jobs, not sure if that has any correlation to non monogamy but i'm just answering your question.

I doubt intelligence has anything to do with it. I went to one of the best universities in the world and everyone I knew in relationships were in monogamous ones.
Reply 56
Sounds great in theory, impossible in practice. Fairytale romances simply don't exist, especially in the social media era where your options to have many partners is endless and cheating is so common. This is why I myself have gone MGTOW, I have no intention of ever being in a relationship with any women, I feel this way i'll save any future heartache and agony I would have inevitably faced had I chosen old fashioned monogamy. This is why I favour non monogamy/open relationships, although I wouldn't personally be able to keep up with that lifestyle I feel people who are not monogamous are generally happier, healthier and a lot better off than those pretending they're monogamous. True love and commitment died a long time ago, it's time people got on board with that and adapted to modern day soceity.

I know plenty of very happy people in 100% monogamous relationships. Why are you so eager to criticise someones lifestyle if it doesn't match your own ideal. That's not very "forward thinking or progressive" of you.

"Fairytale romances" can still happen. For plenty of people once they have found "the one" sex with other people looses all attraction. Social media in no way changes that.
Original post by Dheorl
I know plenty of people my age and older who have been making monogamy work for a long time. If it works for them who are you to criticise it? I really don't see why you think everyone should be in open relationships. If you're not enough to satisfy your girlfriend and she needs to go see other people then that's fine, I won't think any less of you for it, but don't assume everyone else has the same problem.

I certainly don't think any less of people who choose to be monogamous, i'm just putting my views across that monogamy doesn't work and in the digital era it's impossible to expect any individual to remain monogamous or faithful in this day and age. I'd love to discuss this further with you but i'm very tired and my bed is calling me, I bid you goodnight.
Reply 58
I certainly don't think any less of people who choose to be monogamous, i'm just putting my views across that monogamy doesn't work and in the digital era it's impossible to expect any individual to remain monogamous or faithful in this day and age. I'd love to discuss this further with you but i'm very tired and my bed is calling me, I bid you goodnight.

I know plenty of walking breathing evidence that monogamy does work. I don't think any expectation is necessary, some people genuinely spend their entire lives only wanting to sleep with one person, digital era or not. How does having easier access to random hookups change anything if you have no interest in random hookups?
Reply 59
The solution which you said isnt monogamy though, it's polyamory, but just sleeping with all of these multiple people one after the other instead of at the same time as each other. What is irrational is to on the one hand place huge value in your partner not sleeping with other people whilst being with you, and on the other hand place zero value on your partner not sleeping with other people during any other time of their life. That is quite a ridiculous contrast. Far more ridiculous to me than, if you are going to place value in monogamy, making a large effort to end up with the right person first time (e.g. concerning with marriage rather than dating, not dating young but waiting to meet someone when older, having family involved to help etc.. like in many countries such as India, Pakistan etc).. or if you are secure enough, happy etc for your partner to have sex with other people in the past then why not in the present also? ("Because it's breaking the agreement/commitment!" but why have the agreement/commitment to not sleep with other people as well as your partner whilst you are with them in the first place if them having sex with others does not bother you...) The reason you find the bolded part ridiculous is because you have just adopted the cultural norm of your own culture, not because this version actually makes any sense. I already told you that I think the modern western version is a poor and irrational compromise which doesnt make a whole lot of sense when you think about it.

As I said, there are downsides to pure monogamy and polyamory and modern relationships work as a compromise. The distinction between when it is and isn't ok to sleep with other people is necessary to make that compromise work, and so is rational on that grounds. I agree a preference for that system (or any other system) is cultural, but that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending