The Student Room Group

Is Elizabeth II the greatest monarch in British history?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Well done for inventing something I didn't say.

Lol he thinks you said Henry the 8th.:lol:
I've always liked that king who came out at the age of 14 on his horse back to calm down a very angry mob. I think it was Richard the second. Something epic about the whole thing.
I'm not British, but I am a strong supporter of the British Monarchy who hopes to get British citizenship one day. And what I'm about to say may be colored by my own personal ideas, but I consider it to be very reasonable.

It depends what you define as "great." One one hand, Edward VIII, despite all of his faults, was someone who wanted to aid his subjects and actively fight the depression that lingered until the war period. Considering how much at odds he was with Stanley Baldwin, I'm surprised he managed to remain on the throne as long as he did. Yet again, this is an opinion colored by my own personal feelings about the role of a monarch and his duties and responsibilities. Edward wanted to be more then a figurehead. People adored him. People supported him in his decision to marry. From a modern perspective, this person is attractive to think about. A prince who defied conservative minds of his time and picked love over prestige and glory. The idea sounds romantic. This, of course, is if you ignore the fact that he may or may not have been a racist Nazi sympathizer. So be careful which sides of his character you try to glorify.

As far as Queen Elizabeth II goes, she's done her duty for decades, with barely any mistakes on her part. Despite all she's been through, she still seems to be the glue that holds Britain together in times of crisis. It gives people a sense of stability and tradition, without any negative connotations behind a role of a monarch. She may not be the most exciting or glamorous Queen, but her unyielding knack to get things right and keep a high approval rating isn't due to luck, I assure you.
Our Gracious Lady Queen Elizabeth has by the Grace of God provided a wonderful example to us all; with great forbearance and humility She has presided over great changes in Her realm. The tragic loss of our Dear Empire and the surrender of our great broadcasters to the purveyors of filth and lies are but two of the unfortunate consequences of the lack of moral fibre amongst her subjects. Those who dare to criticize this paragon of Christian virtue should hang their heads in shame.
Princess Ameera Al-Taweel is so hot. :sexface:
She's so good we were putting H.M.S. On our ships for her before she was even born.
Original post by s.c.a1
as usual go into denial when you get caught out :smile:

No, as usual, you're making things up. I never said that and everyone here can see that :biggrin:
Original post by Maradiah
Lol he thinks you said Henry the 8th.:lol:

Even if I had it wouldn't really prove her point lol :lol:
Reply 28
Victoria really gives me a hard time, a hard time finding a rose to satisfy her delicate elegance and moral clarity.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
She supremely governs The Church of England, defends the faith, form the government, pacifies god, heads the Commonwealth, and rules Great Britain from home.

wow, so she actually does things? an unelected person does important things in a supposedly democratic political system? wow, what a reason to republicanise
Original post by zippity.doodah
wow, so she actually does things? an unelected person does important things in a supposedly democratic political system? wow, what a reason to republicanise

She also enacts all the laws and prays for your soul etc.
Reply 31
Original post by william walker
Worst Monarch's. Basically all the long serving ones. George III, Victoria or Queen Elizabeth II. I rather wish the Duke of Cumberland has stop Victoria taking the Throne.

I suppose none of those monarchs have been particularly remarkable in terms of leadership, but I think there have been worse rulers myself. Ethelred the Unready, John, Charles I and James II all spring to mind before any of those
(edited 8 years ago)
she has no real powers. none of her ancestors have in centuries. Best soveriegns imho are Edward I, Athelstan, Henry I, Henry II, Edward III, Henry VII, Elizabeth I, Anne, and Charles II. Worst, John, Charles I, James II, Edward II, Henry III, Henry VIII, Mary.
Oliver Cromwell is the greatest monarch in British history.
Original post by The Dictator
Oliver Cromwell is the greatest monarch in British history.

Ireland?
Original post by darthentantius
she has no real powers. none of her ancestors have in centuries. Best soveriegns imho are Edward I, Athelstan, Henry I, Henry II, Edward III, Henry VII, Elizabeth I, Anne, and Charles II. Worst, John, Charles I, James II, Edward II, Henry III, Henry VIII, Mary.

Exactly, monarchs were much more interesting when they actually ruled the country and did stuff, and weren't just there for decoration.

Quick Reply

Latest