The Student Room Group

Labour cannot do any sort of deal or coalition with the SNP

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
#SNPout
Original post by paolo2143
And perhaps if you had a shred of intelligence you would not post such a comment :-)

Then tell me, why does Scotland not like the Tories?
Original post by paolo2143
I think you can no longer call the SNP a marginal party,they might have been up until 10 years ago but that is no longer the case. They are on course to win about 2/3 of all Scottish seats and well over 40% of popular vote in Scotland and i suspect the Tories/Labour would kill for that kind of support in England/Wales.

As for Ed Milliband or Alex Salmond/Nicola Sturgeon threatening the Union i think the real instigator is actually David Cameron.When himself and Alex Salmond signed that treaty back in 2012 Salmond wanted a third option on Ballot paper which was Devo Max and Cameron in his arrogance shot it down and said it is either NO/YES because at time he thought it was no contest.

What Cameron did that day led to a lot of Scottish people sitting down and actually having a good long hard think about things over next couple of years.A lot of them came to conclusion that things could not get be any worse than being controlled by a remote and Corrupt Govt in Westminster who seem only obsessed with events in London or further South and so decided to vote Yes.

Then of course when it got really close with only 2 weeks before the referendum we had Cameron,Clegg & Miliband running about up here like headless chickens or the three stooges. I remember David Cameron in particular pleading with the Scots to vote no and "please don't vote yes just because you want to give the Tories a kicking".This led to his and the other leaders pledge to give Scotland more powers really quickly which definitely helped the No vote in the end.

The trouble is with all the pretty horrendous things the political parties down South are saying about the SNP(and in particular the Tories) is going to re-open fresh wounds and stoke up both Scottish and English Nationalism and more likely to cause break up of Union in near future.

Scotland represents a paltry 9% of the UK, so even if the SNP got 100% of the vote there it's still a small amount of seats. If people in Scotland do vote SNP they can't complain about feeling alienated, there's no reason why the two main parties should form a government with extremely left wing politicians whose goal is to break up the UK.

It's definitely not David Cameron who is responsible, the SNP have always wanted independence, and now they lost that referendum they'll just do everything they can for another one.
- The SNP want independence for Scotland, breaking up the UK, and Labour absolutely refuse to work with them in the UK parliament for that reason.

- Plaid Cymru want independence for Wales, breaking up the UK, and Labour absolutely refuse to work with them in the UK parliament for that reason.

- The SDLP want independence for Ireland, breaking up the UK, and Labour not only work with them in the UK parliament but actively help them to win seats.

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by billydisco
Perhaps if you werent a nation of layabouts you could handle a Tory Government?

Runs out of arguments so turns to troll response... Think how it might feel if I called your country a bunch of layabouts.

Originally dislike of the Tories came from the experiment of the poll tax, nowadays it is more because of the fact that its the party which benefits the rich few - and Scots perceive themselves to have a greater wish for social justice (whether or not this is true) - and the memory of Thatcher's rule.
Original post by Danny McCoyne
seriously why do u ppl care so much just vote for who you think is best for the country and live your lives.

I could not agree more Danny :-),all the parties and especially the Tories are trying to intimidate the public into voting another
way by trying to scare the living daylights out of them.It is a classic trick used not just by political parties but people in power in general, summed up here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcVFHC8hwpc

People should vote with hope and their convictions not through fear
Original post by Lady Comstock
Miliband outright said it last night, no ifs and buts.

If he goes against it he will never live it down. So he will be forced to stick to his promise.

So why are people worrying about it? It can't happen now.

If Labour formed a minority Government, SNP could end up supporting them on a vote by vote basis (though not officially, meaning that Ed Miliband would have technically kept his promise)
Watch the Andrew Marr show, he couldn't get a straight answer out of Yvette Cooper (Labour MP) over whether this would happen or not...

Quick Reply

Latest