Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Name:  IMG_4358.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  404.5 KB Name:  IMG_4360.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  338.5 KB

I've got that one enviroment is a singlet which is the proton attached to the aldehyde group and the second enviroment are the 2nd 6th carbon protons as both are attached to carbons adjacent to the carbon which is attached to the aldehyde and are also attached to carbons with a single proton attached, hence 1 doublet signal. The final enviroment are the 3rd and 5th carbon protons as they are attached to carbon attached to the chlorine atom and also adjacent to carbon with 1 proton hence another doublet signal.

I also understand that in a Carbon spectrum 5 signals will be observed.

What I cannot figure out though is the relative integral sizes as I thought the singlet should be smaller than the doublets as integral size is proportional to the number of hydrogen producing that signal?

Also on the matter of chemical shifts, if someone could explain that too please.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

(It's question 49 btw
Attached files
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Student21)
Name:  IMG_4358.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  404.5 KB Name:  IMG_4360.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  338.5 KB

I've got that one enviroment is a singlet which is the proton attached to the aldehyde group and the second enviroment are the 2nd 6th carbon protons as both are attached to carbons adjacent to the carbon which is attached to the aldehyde and are also attached to carbons with a single proton attached, hence 1 doublet signal. The final enviroment are the 3rd and 5th carbon protons as they are attached to carbon attached to the chlorine atom and also adjacent to carbon with 1 proton hence another doublet signal.

I also understand that in a Carbon spectrum 5 signals will be observed.

What I cannot figure out though is the relative integral sizes as I thought the singlet should be smaller than the doublets as integral size is proportional to the number of hydrogen producing that signal?

Also on the matter of chemical shifts, if someone could explain that too please.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

(It's question 49 btw
AFAI can see you are not given the integrals, you are expected to predict them.

The two doublets have an integral of 2 compared to the singlet with an integral of 1.

The splitting patterns is due to the doublet caused by the adjacent protons on the ring. This is duplicated as there are two identical environments for each proton.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (23)
10.04%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (136)
59.39%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (32)
13.97%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (33)
14.41%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.18%

Watched Threads