The Student Room Group

Do I take five a-levels inc. further maths or four?

Hi, I'm a student currently in year 11 and am about to sit gcses. Next year I'm moving school to a sixth form where I can take 4 a-legels inc. Further maths or 5. If I took five I would take one only to AS. Which option should I do? I'm currently down to do five:
Maths
Further maths
Physics
Chemistry
RS (the subject I'd drop)
It's really a question of work load compared to the gain of doing 5.
Thanks for any help

Scroll to see replies

I did 4, including maths and further and I must say the workload is immense. It's manageable but only eith investing a lot of free time into your subjects. I wouldn't recommend doing 5 as it will either drag all of them down or you'll neglect one, unless you put like 3-4 hours a day on these subjects.
Never ever for any reason do 5, never ever
Reply 3
My current school forces you to do five(if you want to do f.maths) so it can't be too hard. The school I'm going to gives an option
Don't underestimate how difficult a levels are man. I was a natural at maths and cruised gcse eith no work and got an A* nut ended up getting an E at AS further
Reply 5
I'm struggling with four and I pissed through GCSEs. Don't underestimate A-Levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Not a boast but I'm predicted 10 A*s gcse an A and already have A* in maths. I'm also predicted an A in AS environmental studies and A in Fsmq
Reply 7
Original post by Ian Roberts
Not a boast but I'm predicted 10 A*s gcse an A and already have A* in maths. I'm also predicted an A in AS environmental studies and A in Fsmq

How much extra work do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You sound like a potential oxbridge candidate then. if so, don't waste your time with a 5th AS. You'll need 92% UMS on each exam and another subject will hinder you.
Reply 9
I did five and got ABBBB (three science, two humanities)- completely regret it, I could have easily gotten four A's otherwise :smile: it's different for everyone though
Reply 10
If you want to do it - do five. You can always drop down to 4 later.

It sounds like you're pretty on it, and I was really glad I did 5 A levels - I took mine through all the way to A2, and didn't find it a problem - but it will be different for everyone.

If you're not having to work too hard for GCSEs, and are find FSMQ okay, and are taking on the subjects you find easier for A level, you shouldn't have too much of a problem. I did Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths and Further Maths and didn't have to do that much work outside school except round exams. Further Maths A level is HARD though - I did have to push myself to get an A*.

Hey there! I got 10 A*s at GCSE plus A* in a short course one, and I took 4 AS levels and trust me, it is a big jump. I took Maths, Chem, Bio and English Lit, and although I found maths fine last year it's a bit harder this year with C3 and C4 so you'll be doing all that in Year 12 - nothing unmanageable but can take a while to get your head around. Chemistry can be a pretty big jump, and bear in mind that RS will involve essays and I found that they took a lot of time with English last year (I dropped it at A2).

Basically, you won't gain anything from a 5th AS beyond just enjoying the subject, and it could potentially make you lose out on getting the top grades in the other four. If it were me, I wouldn't do it but it's your choice!
I did 5, Maths, Further, Chemistry, Physics and History. Got AABCC don't regret it one bit because it was really fun :smile:
My current school forces you to do five(if you want to do f.maths) so it can't be too hard. The school I'm going to gives an option

With the changes to linear (not maths/f maths) we aren't letting anyone do 5 next year. The new syllabuses will be challenging so we think 4 is enough.

When A levels were linear before it was rare for people to even take 4.
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
You sound like a potential oxbridge candidate then. if so, don't waste your time with a 5th AS. You'll need 92% UMS on each exam and another subject will hinder you.

I'd like to do natural sciences or engineering at cambridge.
I just thought a fifth contrasting subject would be nice
Reply 16
Original post by E13
If you're not having to work too hard for GCSEs, and are find FSMQ okay, and are taking on the subjects you find easier for A level, you shouldn't have too much of a problem. I did Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths and Further Maths and didn't have to do that much work outside school except round exams. Further Maths A level is HARD though - I did have to push myself to get an A*.

I think it depends. I think it's easier for those who had to work a bit at GCSE because they know how to study already and don't have to teach themselves how to learn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by E13
If you want to do it - do five. You can always drop down to 4 later.

It sounds like you're pretty on it, and I was really glad I did 5 A levels - I took mine through all the way to A2, and didn't find it a problem - but it will be different for everyone.

I don't work hard out of school, I just get homework done. But in school I'd say I'm very attentive and work hard. Of course I'm revising hard now
Reply 18
Just do 3. Life will be so much easier.
Why not just do the EPQ instead?

Quick Reply

Latest