How To Stop Rolling Back At Junction??

Watch
Young Jedi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys learning to drive at the moment and just want some advice on how to prevent rolling back at junctions/other areas with slight incline (not steep)

Obviously you should raise handbrake and get the biting point which I can do fine but am just wondering if for any reason I can't bring the handbrake up how do I prevent rolling back when I take my foot off brake and taking off??

As in what should I be doing with the clutch and gas pedal after/whilst holding the brake and if I were to roll slightly how to counter it and get the car moving forward

All advice appreciated guys
Prince_fancybum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hold it on the bite point so your, if you do roll back just give it a bit more throttle and let the clutch out
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There shouldn't be any reason why you can't use the handbrake though :confused: Unless it's broken and you're on the way to the garage to get it repaired, which obviously shouldn't be an issue for you given that you're not driving your own car yet. Hypothetically, though, there are two methods. One is to operate the gas and brake pedals with your right food simultaneously, which can be done but takes practice as well as flexibility in your ankle. The other is to snap from having the clutch and brake floored, straight to the gas and bite point, which is an advanced technique that requires you to really know the feel of your pedals like the back of your hand.

So yeah, both techniques are hard and you might want to just stick to using the handbrake, miles easier.

(Original post by Prince_fancybum)
Hold it on the bite point so your, if you do roll back just give it a bit more throttle and let the clutch out
Good way to stall a petrol engine
Young Jedi
Rep:
?
(Original post by WoodyMKC)
There shouldn't be any reason why you can't use the handbrake though :confused: Unless it's broken and you're on the way to the garage to get it repaired, which obviously shouldn't be an issue for you given that you're not driving your own car yet. Hypothetically, though, there are two methods. One is to operate the gas and brake pedals with your right food simultaneously, which can be done but takes practice as well as flexibility in your ankle. The other is to snap from having the clutch and brake floored, straight to the gas and bite point, which is an advanced technique that requires you to really know the feel of your pedals like the back of your hand.

So yeah, both techniques are hard and you might want to just stick to using the handbrake, miles easier.

Good way to stall a petrol engine
Really appreciate your answer. Question when snapping straight to gas and clutch bite point should I be putting a but of gas into engine before going to bite point or doing both at same time?? Thanks
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Young Jedi)
Really appreciate your answer. Question when snapping straight to gas and clutch bite point should I be putting a but of gas into engine before going to bite point or doing both at same time?? Thanks
Gonna have to be both at the same time mate. Your right foot will be jumping from the brake to the gas while simultaneously setting the bite in an instant, so invariably you'll have to be lightning fast to avoid rolling back. In all seriousness though mate, I'd strongly recommend you don't bother even trying to learn this until you pass you test, as I said it's an advanced technique and it's so much easier to just use the handbrake - you likely don't have the experience and feel of the car yet to be able to be able to perform this correctly. You can't go far wrong with just using the handbrake, setting the gas until you feel the car trying to pull and then handbrake off. If it's a fairly steep hill then even if you're an absolute expert at the handbrakeless method you'll roll back a bit still, and in a test this can equal a fail.

P.S. If in the case that you take the handbrake off and start to roll back a little (i.e. you didn't apply enough gas), then apply more pressure to the gas and you'll start moving forward.
Young Jedi
Rep:
?
(Original post by WoodyMKC)
Gonna have to be both at the same time mate. Your right foot will be jumping from the brake to the gas while simultaneously setting the bite in an instant, so invariably you'll have to be lightning fast to avoid rolling back. In all seriousness though mate, I'd strongly recommend you don't bother even trying to learn this until you pass you test, as I said it's an advanced technique and it's so much easier to just use the handbrake - you likely don't have the experience and feel of the car yet to be able to be able to perform this correctly. You can't go far wrong with just using the handbrake, setting the gas until you feel the car trying to pull and then handbrake off. If it's a fairly steep hill then even if you're an absolute expert at the handbrakeless method you'll roll back a bit still, and in a test this can equal a fail.

P.S. If in the case that you take the handbrake off and start to roll back a little (i.e. you didn't apply enough gas), then apply more pressure to the gas and you'll start moving forward.
Thanks for the information appreciated
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14%
I'm not sure (28)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (190)
31.3%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.14%
I'm not a current university student (291)
47.94%

Watched Threads