21 years since Ayrton Senna died and still the best racing driver ever

Watch
BeDirectWomen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
May 1st marks 21 years since Ayrton Senna died at Imola in 1994. Even all these years after his death, he's still really popular and talked about a lot. I still think he's the greatest racing driving ever to live, and an inspirational and spiritual man too.

No racing driver has quite reached his level since him, and I don't think anyone ever will. Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton & Vettel are/were great drivers, but not quite on the level of Senna.He was an absolute demon in a racing car and consistently seemed to be able to access a higher level of performance than any of the other drivers.

Ayrton, we miss you.
BeDirectWomen
Rep:
?
I can't believe not one person replied to this post. Aren't there any real F1 fans here?
Lib
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As this is a student forum, I should imagine a lot of people posting here weren't even born when Senna died....
BeDirectWomen
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lib)
As this is a student forum, I should imagine a lot of people posting here weren't even born when Senna died....
So? There's enough been written about him, and a film was released about him a few years back. People don't need to have been born then to know about him.
Lib
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BeDirectWomen)
So? There's enough been written about him, and a film was released about him a few years back. People don't need to have been born then to know about him.
No, but I should imagine that most people under 21 are more interested in the current generation of drivers. Also, you didn't exactly post much that would start any kind of debate. More of a statement.
BeDirectWomen
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lib)
No, but I should imagine that most people under 21 are more interested in the current generation of drivers. Also, you didn't exactly post much that would start any kind of debate. More of a statement.
In a way I did because I said he was the greatest racing driver ever to live and that he was able to access a higher level of performance than most other drivers, so people could start a debate over that.
drewBusby
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Would you say if he didn't die he would be labelled as the best?
BeDirectWomen
Rep:
?
(Original post by drewBusby)
Would you say if he didn't die he would be labelled as the best?
If he hadn't died, he would have won a lot more races and championships, maybe 7 or 8 championships in total, and Schumacher wouldn't have won as many. Senna would hold all the records for most wins, most championships today so yes he would definitely be labelled as the best even if he was still alive.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I need to watch that documentary on him. Called "Senna" I think.

I know nothing about motorsports but I know this bloke was a legend. A tragic loss.
TornadoGR4
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Extremely talented driver, but that "If you no longer go for a gap you no longer a racing driver" philosophy was pure bull****
BeDirectWomen
Rep:
?
(Original post by TornadoGR4)
Extremely talented driver, but that "If you no longer go for a gap you no longer a racing driver" philosophy was pure bull****
How so? Every driver should go for a gap if they're trying to overtake.
TornadoGR4
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BeDirectWomen)
How so? Every driver should go for a gap if they're trying to overtake.
Smart drivers know when a gap is closing that may lead to a crash. Senna was/is admired for his unbelievable talent, but he was no saint on the track.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Senna?! Pfft. Not a patch on the legendary (and also dead) Smyth-Ponsonby, Esq.:

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (645)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (817)
42.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.62%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.51%

Watched Threads