The Student Room Group

Which uni in my list for Mech Eng?

If you're students of any of these advice is greatly appreciated. The deadline is upon us after all--

I've gotta pick a firm choice between Swansea, Aston and Oxford Brookes.

Why I want to pick:
Swansea - arguably the best uni out of the 3 in terms of statistics in student satisfaction, graduate employment etc. Probably the best for research should I want to go into that. Closest to home thus less travel expenses.
Oxford Brookes - the campus and city itself is my favourite, the success in their automotive courses
Aston - the staff, way of teaching, high statistics for satisfaction and employment etc

Why I don't want to pick:
Swansea - I'm less likely to get their grade requirements. I've been to Swansea a lot of times and was hoping to travel some where new to live for 4 years. Living on a new campus with only engineering students means all my acquaintances will be engineering students.. I was hoping for more diversity in whom I perhaps would hang out with. The staff didn't seem so connected with their students.
Oxford Brookes - I've heard bad things about it and the statistics for satisfaction etc are not as high. It also doesn't seem as rigorous as the others but this may be a misunderstanding
Aston - the small campus worries me, wondering if I'll be bored soon. And city life in Birmingham has had bad reviews. It doesn't look appealing but I'm assured constantly that there are lots of things to do and places to see if I know where to look, is this true?
Reply 1
Original post by riddleofrevenge
If you're students of any of these advice is greatly appreciated. The deadline is upon us after all--

Why I want to pick:
Swansea - arguably the best uni out of the 3 in terms of statistics in student satisfaction, graduate employment etc. Probably the best for research should I want to go into that. Closest to home thus less travel expenses.
Oxford Brookes - the campus and city itself is my favourite, the success in their automotive courses
Aston - the staff, way of teaching, high statistics for satisfaction and employment etc

Swansea - I'm less likely to get their grade requirements. I've been to Swansea a lot of times and was hoping to travel some where new to live for 4 years. Living on a new campus with only engineering students means all my acquaintances will be engineering students.. I was hoping for more diversity in whom I perhaps would hang out with. The staff didn't seem so connected with their students.
Oxford Brookes - I've heard bad things about it and the statistics for satisfaction etc are not as high. It also doesn't seem as rigorous as the others but this may be a misunderstanding
Aston - the small campus worries me, wondering if I'll be bored soon. And city life in Birmingham has had bad reviews. It doesn't look appealing but I'm assured constantly that there are lots of things to do and places to see if I know where to look, is this true?

Its up to you entirely, you will be successful at any of those universities if you work hard!

look at the modules see which interest you the most and where do you imagine yourself in the next 3/4 years

Why I want to pick:

Hi there,

Cheers for considering studying with us. You're right to be slightly worried about Birmingham, we get a lot of bad press. But it's also a 100% true there is a lot to do if you know where to look.

Depending on what you're into there are hundreds of restaurants, bars and clubs. There is a fantastic live music scene with venues which cater to international touring artists, to pokey little pubs hosting unsigned bands. We also have a fair bit of art and culture despite what you hear, places such as Birmingham Museum and Ikon Gallery constantly have fantastic exhibitions.

Along with that are student union has a wide variety of societies catering to any interest, whether it be the more serious things like religion and career advancement or something more fun like Harry Potter or Extreme BBQ.

You look like you've already done your research stats wise, so i won't bore you to death. But if you have any more questions about Aston, Birmingham or Student life in general, just hit me up. I'm a 2014 graduate and Birmingham local of 23 years, so i should be able to answer anything you throw my way. :smile:

Josh

Why I want to pick:

Hello,

Thank you for considering Swansea University! I'm pleased to see that you're thinking hard about your choices and considering your different options.
The new Bay Campus will be for students studying both Engineering and our Business/Economics courses. The bus links between the new Bay Campus and the Singleton Park campus will be really good and will allow students to move between the two different sites making it easier for students to meet others from across the University studying a wide range of courses.
If you have any more questions about Swansea or feel that you need some more information please let me know and I will do my best to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest