Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've seen posts about GEOG3 on here but none about GEOG4a.

Wondering how people are revising for this?

I'm doing past papers, and i've made a little booklet on the main things they ask for:

1) Aim, Hypotheses and theory
    2) Location and Risks (+how to minimise)
    3) One method of data collection
    4) One sampling technique
    5) One piece of secondary data and why it is useful
    6) One piece of statistical analysis
    7) One piece of data presentation
    8) Main findings, conclusions, further research
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    x

ReputationRep:
    Just going over my a2 fieldwork and doing past papers is all I guess!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, so glad you've made this thread! When setting your aim, how many different aspects do you have to look at? Would 'to see how the River Long Mynd in Carding Mill Valley changed in a downstream direction according to hydraulic radius and velocity' be okay? Or do I need to look at more variables such as particle size

ReputationRep:
    Whats up guys, I got some exemplars from my school down below if you're doing rivers for your 4A its really useful.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx 121022 - example of responses 1.docx (13.6 KB, 897 views)
  2. File Type: docx 121022 - example of responses 2.docx (16.0 KB, 403 views)
  3. File Type: doc 121022 - Example of responses 5.doc (30.5 KB, 367 views)
  4. File Type: docx 121022 - Example of responses 5.doc.docx (15.8 KB, 305 views)
  5. File Type: docx 121022 - example of responses 11.docx (15.1 KB, 322 views)

ReputationRep:
    how have people linked their fieldwork to further research?

ReputationRep:
    My aim is very different because I did changes in psammosere succession... but in the aim you must have:

hypothesis, location, theory

To link to further research I basically say that to increase reliability of data and reduce anomalies I would repeat the investigation either in the same site or in a different psammosere succession.
    You could also say that you'll measure a different hypothesis that works well

ReputationRep:
    Do you need to know how to do mann whitney, standard deviation, chi squared and spearmans rank? Or just be able to interpret results for geog4a?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenny1995)
    Do you need to know how to do mann whitney, standard deviation, chi squared and spearmans rank? Or just be able to interpret results for geog4a?
    You don't have to do them, but you need to know how they work, what they're used for and advantages/disadvantages for the second half of the paper (and how you used them in your fieldwork, if you did).

Good luck everybody!

ReputationRep:
    anyone know if a question asks assess the value of using a variety of presentational techniques in geography. Is this the same as geographical understanding?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smit227)
    anyone know if a question asks assess the value of using a variety of presentational techniques in geography. Is this the same as geographical understanding?!
    You could twist it to talk about geographical understanding I guess. For example, you could say the techniques are valuable because they help with geographical understanding...etc.

ReputationRep:
    why is no one talking about this exam?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTBullen)
    My aim is very different because I did changes in psammosere succession... but in the aim you must have:

hypothesis, location, theory

To link to further research I basically say that to increase reliability of data and reduce anomalies I would repeat the investigation either in the same site or in a different psammosere succession.
    You could also say that you'll measure a different hypothesis that works well
    hey, I'm also doing psammosere succession for my aim. I was just wondering if you had any example answers that your teachers gave you or something, that you could share? I'm really worried about this exam because I got an A* on my GEOG3 mock but an E on the GEOG 4/a one and I can't understand where I'm going wrong in my answers :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l.suu)
    hey, I'm also doing psammosere succession for my aim. I was just wondering if you had any example answers that your teachers gave you or something, that you could share? I'm really worried about this exam because I got an A* on my GEOG3 mock but an E on the GEOG 4/a one and I can't understand where I'm going wrong in my answers :/
    Hi! A lot of people underestimate this exam because they focus entirely on GEOG3 and not at all on this one. For the most part students continue to answer as they would have done in Geog2 and so get half marks on questions. This might be why you got a worse grade in Geog4a. I have practice questions for all of the possible questions for the coursework section A, which ones do you want? There can be questions on:

1) Aim & Hypotheses
    2) Location
    3) Risks
    4) Method of data collection
    5) Sampling technique
    6) Secondary data
    7) Data analysis (Use a statistical method for Geog4a as it's easier to get more marks, like spearman's rank, Mann whitney U or Chi squared)
    8) Method of data presentation (Use a scattergraph or dispersion graph, easier to get higher marks as you can easily talk about reliability of data, can see anomolies)
    9) Main findings/conclusions & Further research
    10) Reliability and accuracy - it's very important to know the difference between these
    11) How the investigation improved your geographical understanding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smit227)
    why is no one talking about this exam?!
    As I said in the previous post, many people underestimate this exam...and care more about GEOG3

ReputationRep:
    Is the second section different to AS as in they wont ask us to physically do anything, its more analysis, or do we need to know how to do chi 2 etc as well as analyse it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTBullen)
    Hi! A lot of people underestimate this exam because they focus entirely on GEOG3 and not at all on this one. For the most part students continue to answer as they would have done in Geog2 and so get half marks on questions. This might be why you got a worse grade in Geog4a. I have practice questions for all of the possible questions for the coursework section A, which ones do you want? There can be questions on:

1) Aim & Hypotheses
    2) Location
    3) Risks
    4) Method of data collection
    5) Sampling technique
    6) Secondary data
    7) Data analysis (Use a statistical method for Geog4a as it's easier to get more marks, like spearman's rank, Mann whitney U or Chi squared)
    8) Method of data presentation (Use a scattergraph or dispersion graph, easier to get higher marks as you can easily talk about reliability of data, can see anomolies)
    9) Main findings/conclusions & Further research
    10) Reliability and accuracy - it's very important to know the difference between these
    11) How the investigation improved your geographical understanding
    Hiya, you said students fail to answer differently from geog2 in what way do they do this ??

ReputationRep:
    anyone doing on on and off piste skiing? How it effects bio diversity ect? Really stuck Anyone have any tips for the second section?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebm241)
    Hiya, you said students fail to answer differently from geog2 in what way do they do this ??
    Hi, yes well if you look at Geog2 the questions are fairly similar, they are just 13/14/15 marks instead of 6/7/8 marks. This would say that you have to do something different to earn those marks. You have to be more specific to your coursework in geog4a, you have to relate your hypotheses, theory and aim in every answer. The exam technique is fairly different, you have to explain WHY you did things more than geog2....hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Should I avoid writing we in answers or does it not matter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 11, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.