Paul_89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I'm an EU citizen (not UK) with an offer to read medicine at Oxford, and I would like to move back to my home country afterwards. Does anyone know whether Oxford allows students to undertake the F1 year abroad? Thank you for any advice!
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Paul_89)
Hi, I'm an EU citizen (not UK) with an offer to read medicine at Oxford, and I would like to move back to my home country afterwards. Does anyone know whether Oxford allows students to undertake the F1 year abroad? Thank you for any advice!
It wouldn't be up to Oxford, the GMC are responsible for things like this. As you don't gain full registration until the end of F1 my guess would be no, although I know of people who did their F2 years abroad.
LetoKynes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You could probably do that, but don't expect them to welcome you back with open arms if you change your mind later! IIRC you can do your FY2 abroad if you have explicit permission from your (?) deanery/medical school
AnonymousPenguin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It depends on which country. Whether you can work at home after graduating (or after F1) is up to the medical regulator in your country.
JenniB22
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Paul_89)
You do your F1 year after you graduate from uni, so it has nothing to do with Oxford. Afaik no foundation school (where you do f1 and f2 years) allows you to do your f1 abroad, but there are some that will let you do f2 abroad, usually only in certain countries eg Australia, nz, USA, though. However, if your aim is to practise in your home country you can just get your gmc registration at the end of your f1 year and the go home after that as a fully qualified doctor, so no problemo!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Paul_89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you all for the many replies, I really appreciate the help
twmffat_twp
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also, there is chat that full GMC registration will move from end of FY1 to the end of med school, which might make it less vital to do FY in the UK at all by the time you graduate...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (305)
55.76%
I don't have everything I need (242)
44.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed