Information on IB Computer Science HL? Watch

AbhiKap55
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Greetings,

I'm about to start the IB program in a few months and I have a few questions about the Computer Science HL Course. I want to go to a decent engineering university and study software engineering - so I thought Computer Science HL would be a good idea in IB.

What exactly do you study in the course? Do you learn different programming languages or just Java?

Thanks!
AbhiKap55
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Anyone? I'd really like an answer! Thanks
Kangie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AbhiKap55)
Anyone? I'd really like an answer! Thanks
I think it depends on the school but at my school, we did mostly Java and touched on Little Man Computer (although that was only for two or so lessons so I don't think it was part of the course).

You might be able to find out more information if you look up the HL computer science syllabus online.
thecsstudent
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AbhiKap55)
Greetings,

I'm about to start the IB program in a few months and I have a few questions about the Computer Science HL Course. I want to go to a decent engineering university and study software engineering - so I thought Computer Science HL would be a good idea in IB.

What exactly do you study in the course? Do you learn different programming languages or just Java?

Thanks!
So I am about to finish my first year of Computer Science HL.
For Topic 1 there is a lot of theory about the system life cycle and ethical implications and usability issues etc. It's kind of boring but it's easy.
Topic 2 is system fundamentals where you basically learn about hardware components like memory (RAM,ROM) and CPU and things like that.
Then topic 3 is networks and you learn about the different types, how they work (packet switching etc.) and wireless networks.
Topics 4 and 5 which are like half a year are all programming. With the current syllabus we get taught in pseudocode which isn't really a language but in most schools as well as mine we get taught Java as well. It's not mandatory though, some schools might teach C++ or other higher lever languages.
Hope this helped.
thecsstudent
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am finishing my first year of Computer Science HL and here is what we did:
Topic 1 is just theoretical staff about usability issues and ethics in computing which was not very interesting but it was easy overall.
Then Topic 2 is system fundamentals and you basically learn about the hardware components of the computer like memory (RAM,ROM) and CPU. You also do the binary and hexadecimal system which are so easy and some diagrams.
For topic 3 you study networks like various types of networks and wireless ones and network security.
And topics 4 and 5 are all programming. In the current syllabus you get taught in pseudocode which isn't really a language and that's what you are tested on. But in most schools and mine too we do Java as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (293)
26.11%
Yes - they're famous (283)
25.22%