Edexcel AS History; don't know how to plan essays?!?!?!?!!? help Watch

j5994
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys,
I didn't do history for GCSE so am stumped on how to revise it. I've been told not to revise pure content but just essay plans but I've never used them and don't know how to make them. Can someone give me some general tips please??? i really want an A and its in like a week and a half :'(
I'm doing Civil Rights and USA in Asia D5/D6 if that helps

thank you!!!
The.Joker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
All you have to do is plan how to answer particular questions i.e. know what to write about if MLK comes up or Black Power etc.

For example take the question "how important was the contribution of MLK to the civil rights movement 1955-68?"

I personally write up all my essays purely because it's easier for me to remember how/what to write in the exam. I usually write 4 points- 2 that agrees with the assertion in the question and 2 which counter it.

The intro is just you giving your opinion and answering the question and highlighting the factors you will be writing about, e.g. "The contribution of MLK was extremely important as he was able to make lots of successful changes in campaigns such as the Montgomery Bus Boycott and the March on Washington. However his methods in the north of America were unsuccessful which led to the growth of black power and Black Panther's who also contributed to the civil rights movement significantly."

My first point would agree MLK was very important and I'd write about the Montgomery Bus Boycott 1955 and how it was very successful due to the de jure and de facto change. It also led to rise the rise of MLK and the SCLC.

Second point would be about MLK's most important campaign which is the March on Washington 1963-how it led to the civil rights act 1964 which meant the federal government can enforce desegregation. The campaign was very successful as it led de jure and de facto change once again.

Third point would highlight MLK's weakness in the campaigns in the Northern states. For example Albany 1961 which highlighted the need for violence and media attention to create change. Showed how MLK methods of peaceful protest was ineffective in the north.

Fourth point would be the growing rise of Black Power and the Black Panthers who were more successful and popular in the Northern states. I'd explain how due to MLK failures, the Black Panthers became very popular as their newspaper had a readership of 1 million. I'd also write about Patrol the Pigs and welfare programes such as the liberation schools and free breakfast for school children where they fed 10,000 black children every day by 1969.

Finally for the conclusion you sum your main points up and reach an overall judgement. I.e. if MLK made the most important contribution to the civil rights movement or if it was other groups like CORE, NAACP, Black Panther's or even the government or the media.
j5994
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by The.Joker)
All you have to do is plan how to answer particular questions i.e. know what to write about if MLK comes up or Black Power etc.

For example take the question "how important was the contribution of MLK to the civil rights movement 1955-68?"

I personally write up all my essays purely because it's easier for me to remember how/what to write in the exam. I usually write 4 points- 2 that agrees with the assertion in the question and 2 which counter it.

The intro is just you giving your opinion and answering the question and highlighting the factors you will be writing about, e.g. "The contribution of MLK was extremely important as he was able to make lots of successful changes in campaigns such as the Montgomery Bus Boycott and the March on Washington. However his methods in the north of America were unsuccessful which led to the growth of black power and Black Panther's who also contributed to the civil rights movement significantly."

My first point would agree MLK was very important and I'd write about the Montgomery Bus Boycott 1955 and how it was very successful due to the de jure and de facto change. It also led to rise the rise of MLK and the SCLC.

Second point would be about MLK's most important campaign which is the March on Washington 1963-how it led to the civil rights act 1964 which meant the federal government can enforce desegregation. The campaign was very successful as it led de jure and de facto change once again.

Third point would highlight MLK's weakness in the campaigns in the Northern states. For example Albany 1961 which highlighted the need for violence and media attention to create change. Showed how MLK methods of peaceful protest was ineffective in the north.

Fourth point would be the growing rise of Black Power and the Black Panthers who were more successful and popular in the Northern states. I'd explain how due to MLK failures, the Black Panthers became very popular as their newspaper had a readership of 1 million. I'd also write about Patrol the Pigs and welfare programes such as the liberation schools and free breakfast for school children where they fed 10,000 black children every day by 1969.

Finally for the conclusion you sum your main points up and reach an overall judgement. I.e. if MLK made the most important contribution to the civil rights movement or if it was other groups like CORE, NAACP, Black Panther's or even the government or the media.
thank you so much!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19
  • De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19

Do you give blood?