Turn on thread page Beta

Kazaa Lite: This is real! watch

Announcements

I'm jus warning u guys it isnt a scare cause i went to my work experience today an this head of it was talking to me and he said that it had been decided last friday to specifically target every user of kazaa and sue them, and by the way they can get your details-however it is most likely to be in an illegal way. But can it effect ppl who use kazaa lite?

Impossible.

Can you imagine the court case costs for Sony and EMI? My guess it that they're going to sue 10 or 20 big-time file sharing participators in America and hopefully scare everyone else off. It seems to be working...

Imagine the amount of people that use it though! Must be millions, how can they sue everyone? It isn't feasible! And anyway how do they know the files being shared are illegal mp3 or whatever? All sorts of files can be shared with it! Not only mp3 and JPEG (movies) or whatever!

so they are going to get the details for over several million people across the world, track them down and take them to court and hope that every single person will pay up. the very thought is ridiculous, and it has to be remembered that downloading songs is not in itself illegal, copying and distributing them for a profit is illegal.

ReputationRep:
    its not even illegal to download music you dumbass.

what if you move your files from your shared folder into another folder

ReputationRep:
    Record industry couldn't afford to take everyone to court. Say theres 3 million people using Kazaa with a court case costing £3000 per person. Thats about £9,000,000,000 in legal fees.

ReputationRep:
    when i installed kazaa for the first time i remember ticking a box which meant i did not share any of my files i.e. i could download files but no-one could upload them from my PC. i guess this means that I have done nothing illegal (even though i have downloaded nowhere near enough files to be considered "big time" and i too find the notion of a global manhunt for every kazaa user ridiculous!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unregistered)
    I'm jus warning u guys it isnt a scare cause i went to my work experience today an this head of it was talking to me and he said that it had been decided last friday to specifically target every user of kazaa and sue them, and by the way they can get your details-however it is most likely to be in an illegal way. But can it effect ppl who use kazaa lite?
    Ok - in the eyes of the record companies Kazza-lite is exactly the same ask Kazza - and yes if you download freely distribute copyrighted music without a licence you are breaking the law.

But first the people doing the sueing the RIAA - only have the power to do this in america so anyone over here is safe... for now. Secondly it would be possible to track you down by dowloading a file from you, getting your IP address and forcing your ISP to release your name and evidence for this.

So yes, it is possible but there are so many users you are unlikley to be targetted, especially if you only download files and don't share any.

ReputationRep:
    for kazaa to work users have to both share and download, otherwise it will collapse on itself.

Also, they try this scare tactic by saying that you can be sued for up to $165,000 a song or something like this. That is total crap, because the maximum sentence at the judges disposal is rarely used and I can't see him ruling that an 18 year old has to be over $300,000 because he downloaded 2 metallica songs.

Adam

ReputationRep:
    here is a link to an article i was reading on msn.
    i swear the RIAA isn't allowed to do this, isn't it invasion of privacy or something? kos if it isn't, someone should bloody-well spy and h**k their machines to teach em a lesson!!!!!!!!

http://msn.com.com/2100-1104_2-50730...=7327&PS=66948

You are not at risk unless a) you are in america, b) you upload thousands of songs to other users and c) you have extremely bad luck.

ReputationRep:
    All the record companies are doing is providing more advertising for file sharing. Remeber napster (whats that, you say?) before Metallica sued it, it was virtually unheard of, and then its users rocketed overnight. The companies are just kicking themselves in the foot.

Good Idea for terrorists: stop targeting infrastructure, and set up an online service giving out any american song/movie/etc for free. That would really P155 the american administration off.

The record companies are retarded. any band that backs the anti online idea and is willing to sue fans can kiss my ass. i well never buy anyones CD who is that cheap. Its a slap in the face to US, THE PEOPLE WHO MADE THEM FAMOUS

ReputationRep:
    I dont believe thats possible.
    And then are they going to target users of equivalent software, such as shareaza?

ReputationRep:

might sound really stupid but what is kazaa lite?

i might be really behind the times but can some one explain..........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by topaz)
    might sound really stupid but what is kazaa lite?

i might be really behind the times but can some one explain..........
    think napster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    think napster.

um excuse me bug face i said it might sound dumb....possibly because i am dumb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by topaz)
    um excuse me bug face i said it might sound dumb....possibly because i am dumb
    napster is a bit behind the times though. thought you would know. its a file sharing service, where you can download anything (which they are sharing) from another persons computer.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.