This discussion is closed.
topaz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
napster is a bit behind the times though. thought you would know. its a file sharing service, where you can download anything (which they are sharing) from another persons computer.

ooooooooo ok understanding a little bit more but ohhhhhhhhhhhh ok
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by topaz)
ooooooooo ok understanding a little bit more but ohhhhhhhhhhhh ok
basically people use it to acquire mp3s, so the music industry is getting a bit peeved.
topaz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
basically people use it to acquire mp3s, so the music industry is getting a bit peeved.

hmmmmmmmm ok cheers mush........sorry bout the bug face thing......................heheh aha!!!
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why don't the RIAA target Kazaa instead? It easier than taking 3 or so million people to court. It seems so obvious that if they were to close it down, no-one would be able to use it. Or is it more complex then that? Someone please explain!
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
Why don't the RIAA target Kazaa instead? It easier than taking 3 or so million people to court. It seems so obvious that if they were to close it down, no-one would be able to use it. Or is it more complex then that? Someone please explain!
There are many things similar to Kazaa, such as Shareaza which i use to find totally legal files, honestly, so targeting the users puts others off from using them, while if only Kazaa gets targeted, whats to stop people using the alternatives?
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
There are many things similar to Kazaa, such as Shareaza which i use to find totally legal files, honestly, so targeting the users puts others off from using them, while if only Kazaa gets targeted, whats to stop people using the alternatives?
Well, they could still target the other file-sharing programs people use. New ones might come out all the time but at least it isn't as difficult as millions of people to confront.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, they could still target the other file-sharing programs people use. New ones might come out all the time but at least it isn't as difficult as millions of people to confront.
Its only a threat in my opinion. I dont think they have the guts to actually do it.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
a) kazaa is not doing anything illegal - it's the users who are
b) it is not a central hub system, but each user is just connected to another user (who is connected to another etc, like a fish net). So taking down "a central kazaa source" would not necessarily take down the file sharing network.
SM9581
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
How do they trace you if your blocking your IP Address. Theirs now way in hell they can trace you through your MAC address you connect through to many routers.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
imnew and i have kazaa lite, is it possible for them to trace me because i am sharing files. is there anything i can do to stop them doing this?
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
is there anything i can do to stop them doing this?
turn it off.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
THNX ive dun that. and dus any1 no the link 4 the new kazaa lite wich stops the RIAA also Does anyone no any good firewall protection from the riaa
the prophet
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
THNX ive dun that. and dus any1 no the link 4 the new kazaa lite wich stops the RIAA also Does anyone no any good firewall protection from the riaa
You might have a firewall up, but you open the port tolet kazaa share files. i goes through routers and you ip can be traced. go to the dos and type tracert and a ip to a site. it will go show all the ips it goes through. You are never safe when using file saring programs like kazaa. There are security holes that allow users to trace your ip, through a download using packet sniffers. as kazza is peer to peer. This is very dangerous as hackers can then use your ip to ack in, to leave trojans, proxy servers and such like.

Kazaa will never be shut down as they only supply the service. It's you who use it.
Amorya
Report 16 years ago
so they are going to get the details for over several million people across the world, track them down and take them to court and hope that every single person will pay up. the very thought is ridiculous, and it has to be remembered that downloading songs is not in itself illegal, copying and distributing them for a profit is illegal.
I dunno where this misconception keeps coming from.

Firstly: It is illegal to obtain music without permission. Downloading music is only legal where authorised by the copyright holders - and so far they've only authorised those services where you have to pay to download. Such as iTunes. Getting music off Kazzaa is illegal.

If you own the CD and are downloading an MP3 file of a song from that CD, then the legality is questionable. Some people believe that comes under fair use. But if you don't own the CD (or some other licence to play the music) then obtaining it without paying is illegal.

Also, copying and distributing is illegal no matter whether you make a profit or not. If you give copied CDs away, it's still illegal.

when i installed kazaa for the first time i remember ticking a box which meant i did not share any of my files i.e. i could download files but no-one could upload them from my PC. i guess this means that I have done nothing illegal
Wrong answer! You have broken the law if you've downloaded music files that you don't own the CD for. Now, you'll probably never get sued for it... they do only go after the big filesharers. But that doesn't make it allowed.

So yes, it is possible but there are so many users you are unlikley to be targetted, especially if you only download files and don't share any.
Yup.

I dont believe thats possible.
It's definitely possible. It'd take a ****load of time and effort, though, so I doubt they'd ever do it.

Amorya
Motty_23
Report 16 years ago
Hi im thinking about downloading Kazaa Lite
My friend insists these facts: Its Safe, virus free, no ad or spyware, no way you can be traced and perfectly safe with a anti virus and firewall.
Is this true?
I want to be sure!
How illegal is this thing? or shall i say is it?
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Motty_23)
My friend insists these facts: Its Safe, virus free, no ad or spyware, no way you can be traced and perfectly safe with a anti virus and firewall.
Is this true?
I want to be sure!
You can be traced so easily if someone wanted to, fact is no one is going to bother as there are so many people using it. Only the people who are sharing tens of thousands of files are targeted.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Is this true?
I want to be sure!
HE is right about the spyware. But...

You can catch viruses especially if you're downloading software, i have caught a virus like this.

Your firewall becomes useless because you are opening the port up to share files; so are you completely open to attacks. If you want music i found Winmx to be better for speeds, quality, security and not to mention multiple searches.
Motty_23
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
HE is right about the spyware. But...

You can catch viruses especially if you're downloading software, i have caught a virus like this.

Your firewall becomes useless because you are opening the port up to share files; so are you completely open to attacks. If you want music i found Winmx to be better for speeds, quality, security and not to mention multiple searches.
Thanks for your comment, i was wondering, is emule plus a better option for safety and overall better quality?
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thanks for your comment, i was wondering, is emule plus a better option for safety and overall better quality?
It depends what you want to download. Music, video, software etc.

With any file sharing network your firewall is going to be useless and you stand a greater chance of getting a virus. Kazaa Lite would probably be best for P2P but there are other methods of file sharing such as bit torrent. If you're interested PM me and i'll tell you a bit more about it.
NickNack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Amorya)
I dunno where this misconception keeps coming from.

Firstly: It is illegal to obtain music without permission. Downloading music is only legal where authorised by the copyright holders - and so far they've only authorised those services where you have to pay to download. Such as iTunes. Getting music off Kazzaa is illegal.
so by that definition, is it illegal to record music off the radio or use videos to record movies off the tv? or does the law apply differently here?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (163)
15.58%
Uncertainty around my education (172)
16.44%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (102)
9.75%
Isolating with family (71)
6.79%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.73%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.6%
Loneliness (104)
9.94%
Financial worries (46)
4.4%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (95)
9.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.07%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.6%

Watched Threads