?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Any predictions for what will come?
dauntlesstraitor
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't think Cromwell will come up. Possibly Wolsey and the dissolution of the monasteries. How's your revision going?
eddso
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wasn't sure if maybe Wolsey's rise to power may come up, i.e. was it through luck or skill? There probably isn't enough material to make it a 40 mark question but it could possibly be a 20 mark one.

What material would you guys use in answering a question regarding was Wolsey successful or who has mroe power, Henry or Wolsey? (My teacher is awful )
katiercx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My teacher said its very hard to predict this paper, but he doubts that Cromwell will be the 40 mark q.
katiercx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There definitely is enough material for a 40 marker on this topic. There has been before, I done it - it was "Do you agree with the view that in the years 1515-25 Henry wholly surrendered power in government to Cardinal Wolsey?"

I am fortunate enough to have an excellent teacher - who achieves 100% A-C in A-Level history every year! I feel for you having a rubbish teacher for this topic must be horrible

I got 35/40 on this mock (plus my teacher is a harsh marker), and argued alter-rex historiography vs the idea that Henry was always the ultimate source of power.

My paragraph topics were:
1) Henry had other interests (Renaissance King, immaturity, sports) so unintentionally surrendered power particularly admin to Wolsey
2) Wolsey manipulated power and governed as King (bolstering power in Church, shining to Henry by being pragmatic)
3) Henry was always the ultimate source of power (examples of their falling outs, and Wolsey's apologies e.g. 1522 surprise attack and Henry asserting his power over Wolsey)
4) The nobility had greater power than Wolsey (low birth, Norfolk, close association with the King that the nobility had,,1521 execution of Buckingham)
5) Henry trusted Wolsey - so provided his power (Wolsey's wealth and lands, Hampton Court)

Overall conclusion - Wolsey had lots of power - mainly in admin however Henry was ultimately the main source of power

Hope this helped!

(Original post by eddso)
I wasn't sure if maybe Wolsey's rise to power may come up, i.e. was it through luck or skill? There probably isn't enough material to make it a 40 mark question but it could possibly be a 20 mark one.

What material would you guys use in answering a question regarding was Wolsey successful or who has mroe power, Henry or Wolsey? (My teacher is awful )
24Uout
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
do you think wolsey will be the 20 mark
and annulment or foreign policy will be the 40 mark
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by katiercx)
There definitely is enough material for a 40 marker on this topic. There has been before, I done it - it was "Do you agree with the view that in the years 1515-25 Henry wholly surrendered power in government to Cardinal Wolsey?"

I am fortunate enough to have an excellent teacher - who achieves 100% A-C in A-Level history every year! I feel for you having a rubbish teacher for this topic must be horrible

I got 35/40 on this mock (plus my teacher is a harsh marker), and argued alter-rex historiography vs the idea that Henry was always the ultimate source of power.

My paragraph topics were:
1) Henry had other interests (Renaissance King, immaturity, sports) so unintentionally surrendered power particularly admin to Wolsey
2) Wolsey manipulated power and governed as King (bolstering power in Church, shining to Henry by being pragmatic)
3) Henry was always the ultimate source of power (examples of their falling outs, and Wolsey's apologies e.g. 1522 surprise attack and Henry asserting his power over Wolsey)
4) The nobility had greater power than Wolsey (low birth, Norfolk, close association with the King that the nobility had,,1521 execution of Buckingham)
5) Henry trusted Wolsey - so provided his power (Wolsey's wealth and lands, Hampton Court)

Overall conclusion - Wolsey had lots of power - mainly in admin however Henry was ultimately the main source of power

Hope this helped!
(Original post by 24Uout)
do you think wolsey will be the 20 mark
and annulment or foreign policy will be the 40 mark
Hey

When is your exam please? I'd like to add it to our exam thread discussion list
katiercx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Next Wednesday; the 20th!
(Original post by She-Ra)
Hey

24Uout
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Next Wednesday; the 20th!
what do you think is going to come up?
katiercx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I also have HVII tomorrow - how are you feeling about it?

24Uout
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by She-Ra)
Hey

20th may
24Uout
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I also have HVII tomorrow - how are you feeling about it?
im fine with war of the roses coz i know Edward 1st or 2nds reign is deffo gnna come up
but for henry VII i want foreign policy but it came up last year
i dont want anything on finances
im scared for henry VII

how do you feel?
katiercx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't do war of the roses - i do the 100 years war.

Hmm, to be honest I quite like finance and dislike foreign policy! Either would be okay. My teacher predicted either nobility/new men or the Warbeck/Simnel/Yorkist threat throughout reign; as both finance/government and foreign policy have came up for the last few years. I just don't want really unfocused questions!

Plus, I'm not as good as I thought with dates/names.. there are lots!

im fine with war of the roses coz i know Edward 1st or 2nds reign is deffo gnna come up
but for henry VII i want foreign policy but it came up last year
i dont want anything on finances
im scared for henry VII

how do you feel?
katiercx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This exam is really hard to predict - but my teacher doesn't think it will be Cromwell for the 40 mark q. Hoping for Wolsey rise to power!

24Uout
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't do war of the roses - i do the 100 years war.

Hmm, to be honest I quite like finance and dislike foreign policy! Either would be okay. My teacher predicted either nobility/new men or the Warbeck/Simnel/Yorkist threat throughout reign; as both finance/government and foreign policy have came up for the last few years. I just don't want really unfocused questions!

Plus, I'm not as good as I thought with dates/names.. there are lots!

same my teacher has predicted that there may be a question on pretenders
if there is, we can link foreign policy with it
i dont want a question on finances, that would be my worst nightmare

i know how you feel, im only good with dates when it comes to foreign countries ege truces with france, HRE etc otherwise i dont remember any dates.
im teriffied for the exam

do you do Henry VIII?
katiercx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My biggest worry is timing! I get very carried away and I'm scared I'll forget something.
True. I think I find finance easy cos I argue it as:
Extended extraordinary finance to strengthen power (Royal lands, Feudal Dues, 135 Attainders)
Used ordinary finance to make more secure (tonnage and poundage, fifteenths and tenths etc controlling nobles)
Change in finances from 1485-1509 secured dynasty (£12000-40000 royal lands, £160,000 from French Pension, £7000 more tonnage and poundage - so rebuilt Sheen 1495, 300,000 on a plate of jewels - propaganda)
Opposition to finance (1489 Northern Rebellion, 1496 Cornish Rising)
Lack of control of nobles in Ireland (Gerald FitzGerald refused good behaior bonds)
So yes strengthened - some opposition...

Yeah I also do HVIII

same my teacher has predicted that there may be a question on pretenders
if there is, we can link foreign policy with it
i dont want a question on finances, that would be my worst nightmare

i know how you feel, im only good with dates when it comes to foreign countries ege truces with france, HRE etc otherwise i dont remember any dates.
im teriffied for the exam

do you do Henry VIII?
24Uout
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My biggest worry is timing! I get very carried away and I'm scared I'll forget something.
True. I think I find finance easy cos I argue it as:
Extended extraordinary finance to strengthen power (Royal lands, Feudal Dues, 135 Attainders)
Used ordinary finance to make more secure (tonnage and poundage, fifteenths and tenths etc controlling nobles)
Change in finances from 1485-1509 secured dynasty (£12000-40000 royal lands, £160,000 from French Pension, £7000 more tonnage and poundage - so rebuilt Sheen 1495, 300,000 on a plate of jewels - propaganda)
Opposition to finance (1489 Northern Rebellion, 1496 Cornish Rising)
Lack of control of nobles in Ireland (Gerald FitzGerald refused good behaior bonds)
So yes strengthened - some opposition...

Yeah I also do HVIII
OMG you know sooooo much on finances i know nothing like zilch
i want pretenders to come up
i doubt foreign and finances coming up coz they came up last year, but then again who knows

what do you reckon the 20 and 40 mark will be on in henry VIII?
katiercx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nooo, I just know that best! I'm sure you're much better at foreign policy than I am - I hate it and it links to so much!

Hard to say - even my teacher says its super random...
This is the last time this exam will be set so I'm praying its super nice and not mean
OMG you know sooooo much on finances i know nothing like zilch
i want pretenders to come up
i doubt foreign and finances coming up coz they came up last year, but then again who knows

what do you reckon the 20 and 40 mark will be on in henry VIII?
24Uout
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nooo, I just know that best! I'm sure you're much better at foreign policy than I am - I hate it and it links to so much!

Hard to say - even my teacher says its super random...
This is the last time this exam will be set so I'm praying its super nice and not mean
like your strong point is finances, mine one is foreign policies,
i hate finances i dont get it i would sit there and not do anything if the questions on finances

i have a feeling foreign(40 mark) and cromwell (20 mark) and annulment may the questions
i have all my hopes on tomorrows paper
everyone in my class is scared for henry VII
katiercx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I quite like the HVIII paper. I am so scared too. Let me know how you think it went!

like your strong point is finances, mine one is foreign policies,
i hate finances i dont get it i would sit there and not do anything if the questions on finances

i have a feeling foreign(40 mark) and cromwell (20 mark) and annulment may the questions
i have all my hopes on tomorrows paper
everyone in my class is scared for henry VII
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (33)
11.07%
I used to but I don't now (10)
3.36%
No, but I want to start (111)
37.25%
No, I am unable to (64)
21.48%
No, I chose not to (80)
26.85%