The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS History 6HI02A : Henry VIII, 20th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

I'm retaking this exam so haven't had lessons on it for the past year. I've revised the knowledge, but what structure do you do for your part a and b and how long do you plan to spend on each? Cheers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by ihaterevision1
Anyone got a link to any quite concise revision? really haven't done enough if im honest

http://jwsmrscott.weebly.com/uploads/2/2/8/3/22837604/year_12_henry_viii_revision_guide.pdf
this is really helpful
Reply 63
When deciding on whether Wolsey was successful in his domestic policies - what would you say about his control of the nobles?

thanks! so glad its an afternoon exam...
Personally, I would put:
Justice: the uses of Star Chamber sometimes attacked the nobles; e.g in 1515 the Earl of Northumberland was imprisoned and in 1516 Lord Bergavenny was accused of illegal retaining. Better justice system but backlash of cases (120 compared to 12 in Henry VII's reign)
Enclosure: brought nobles to court for enclosing land for sheep rearing and then prosecuted them, however, this was a failure as poverty still existed. In 1523 Wolsey had to accept all existing enclosures, a failure.
Finances: Wolsey's new tax was more fair. However, it was not very popular among the ruling class as they had to pay more tax than before.
Amicable Grant: you could say this shows control of the nobles, as Duke of Norfolk and Suffolk tried to stop the uprising.
Parliament: Wolsey only called 2 Parliaments, suggesting he did not work with the commons or lords.
Court: he distrusted the Privy Chamber. In 1519 he expelled rising stars. The Eltham Ordinances kept the nobles away from court and they halved over the time Wolsey was in office.
Execution of Buckingam...

Hope this helped!

Original post by eddso
When deciding on whether Wolsey was successful in his domestic policies - what would you say about his control of the nobles?
Original post by eddso

He was accused of having a prejudice against the rich, for example sending the Earl of Northumberland to Fleet prison

In 1519 Wolsey persuaded Henry to get rid of Gentleman of the privy chamber (the expulsion of the minions) in order to cut down on royal expenditure

The nobility were against a lot of decisions that Wolsey made, such as his low birth, relationship with the king, his campaign against enclosures etc

Just want to say good luck to everyone, fingers crossed they're really nice questions and sources!! x
Reply 68
Thank you all for the last minute help! Don't know what I'd do without you guys:smile: Good luck everyone!
Hey, the exam is in 3 hours and im stressing, what is the pilgrimage of Grace?
Hey, the pilgrimage of grace was in 1536 and it was basically an uprising in protest against Henry VIII's break with the Roman Catholic Church, the Dissolution of the Monasteries and the policies of Cromwell-they blamed him for the break with Rome. It was led by Robert Aske (from York) who was executed afterwards.

The significance is that it showed that people did oppose the Break with Rome and Henry's Royal Supremacy, but it's worth remembering that it was based in the North of England, where it was always less anti-clerical than the South and they were more religiously conservative, so it doesn't represent the whole of England.

That's about all I remember, but have a look in the red textbook they might have something more detailed in there. It came up fairly recently though I think, so there's a chance it might not come up at all!:wink::biggrin:
Oh wait, forgot to say, it was directly linked to the opposition over the dissolution of the monasteries, and the local clergy encouraged people to join the uprising -it got to about 30,000 men which was a lot bigger than the King's forces at the time, so he had to negotiate diplomatically through the Duke of Norfolk
Original post by soph1234r
Oh wait, forgot to say, it was directly linked to the opposition over the dissolution of the monasteries, and the local clergy encouraged people to join the uprising -it got to about 30,000 men which was a lot bigger than the King's forces at the time, so he had to negotiate diplomatically through the Duke of Norfolk

Thanks so much, what do you think will come up in the exam today?
hmmm,its hard to predict
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm hoping Wolsey's rise and the reasons the annulment failed will come up but like katiercx already said they can repeat them:frown:

Original post by katiercx
Here are the past 5 years of paper topics (very briefly) - so you can decide what you think may come up.

Personally, I do not think the 40 marker will be on Cromwell dissolving the monasteries - rather domestic/foreign policy, Wolsey's rise, or Protestantism)... This is the last time this exam will be set, so anything can happen.

My first paper was very repetitive of the previous years questions - which you may want to bear in mind.

Cromwell and monasteries (20)
Foreign Policy (40)
Break with Rome (40)

Cromwell's downfall (20)
Reformation/stronger authority (40)
Wolsey and domestic policy (40)

Wolsey and break with Rome (20)
Foreign policy limited resources (40)
Protestantism 1532-40 (40)

Protestantism 1536 (20)
Break with Rome (40)
Wolsey domestic/ Alter-Rex (40)

Amicable grant (20)
Early foreign policy (40)
Monasteries (40)
Can anybody help me, i know it sounds stupid but how many questions do we have to answer in the paper? i thought it was 2 but my friend just told me we have to answer 3!
No dw, it is only 2, there's 1 20 mark, and they give you a choice of 2 40 marks-but you only answer the one you choose! So although there's 3 questions on the paper, you only answer 2 of them. Does that make sense?:tongue:
thats perfect thankyou !! good luck :smile:

Original post by soph1234r
No dw, it is only 2, there's 1 20 mark, and they give you a choice of 2 40 marks-but you only answer the one you choose! So although there's 3 questions on the paper, you only answer 2 of them. Does that make sense?:tongue:
How did everyone find it? And what questions did people answer?
I did Part B I) Wolseys main aim as Lord Chancellor..
I talked about Him trying to increase his own power rather than royal authority.. Not sure if it's a valid argument though 😭😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending