The Student Room Group

How much does university cost all in?

I want to go away for university but would like to know how much it all cost (excluding student loans etc)

If you feel comfortable pleas post below how much it costs for you to go to university, a breakdown of what you spend money on and most importantly what uni you go to

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Average weekly spend in my final year:

£70 rent.
£20-£30 travel home at the weekend.
£30 food.
£50 driving lesson.

I spent £10 ish a month on my phone as well and I went to University of Ulster in Derry.
Original post by 1427Phil
I want to go away for university but would like to know how much it all cost (excluding student loans etc)

If you feel comfortable pleas post below how much it costs for you to go to university, a breakdown of what you spend money on and most importantly what uni you go to

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tuition fees - £8100/year (10% discount for paying upfront)
Rent in student accommodation - ~£6000/year (this will be the same for all 3 years
Parking - £500/year
Car tax - £30/month
Petrol - £100/month
Phone bill - £25/month
Food - £50/week
Going out - £40/week on average

Then other stuff like clothes, holidays, equipment for the course. It depends on how much you want to spend as well to an extent, for instance there are halls available at my uni for less than the ones I live in.
My weekly spends is:
Food : £20 a week ( there is a lidl across the road, so this is probably lower than many other students)
Rent: £57 a week
Bills:£ 13.50 a week( this covers all utilities including all my insurances, phone and laptop contents insurance then water and electric and the like, we dont however have a tv license anymore this adds a bit extra)

then we come to the luxuries, since 1st year i have massively cut down on these spends so not sure that my figures are anything like a "typical student" but:
Clothes: £5 a week, sometimes nothing for weeks though:P
Going out:£10 a week( normally have a date night once a month and the rest is on includes krispy kreme and caffe nero visits and greggs sausage rolls:P)
i think thats about it, i have literally gone for the cheapest option for everything and dont live in halls so would say what i spend is incredibly minimal, also i now live with my boyfriend so sharing food does make it that little bit cheaper especially with meat.

I go to uclan in preston, so north west which apparently is quite cheap for living costs when compared to the south

what i d really say is uni can cost you, what you decide it will, you can choose what to spend on accommodation, nights out , food and luxuries so it can be as cheap or expensive as you make it:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Around £5000 a year with modestly minimal spending on luxuries e.g. not buying the latest iphone every year. Not including having a car though
The biggest 'cost' of university is the opportunity cost of not having an income for 3 years.
Rent + bills £80 a week, 52 week contacts so for the year £4160

Travel about £10-15 a week depending on time of year it can be £0

food about £20 a week

misc (so going out, clothes, treats ect) averages about £20 a week

For the whole year come up to about £7000

I live in Liverpool and in a student house. My rent could be cheaper if I lived somewhere else, however due to difficulties and complications will likely have to stay in this house. I could cut down on luxuries, but at the moment I can afford it so see now reason to. Spend little on food because I cook most things from scratch, batch cook and freeze ect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending