ihatePE
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
For analysing a poem this coming exams, i need some language devices and especially ITS PURPOSE as well, because no point just mentioning the techniques theyve used, i need their effects too
so far i got metaphor, simile, rhyming, pace and a few more but for most i dont even know its purpose in the poem, mind sharing? thank you!!!
Sopherdophs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
With metaphors and similies, there are many connotations that can come from the objects being compared to one another, such as 'Her eyes twinkled like morning dew' would have connotations of the freshness and purity of a morning

Rhyming adds emphasis to words that rhyme, and possibly even connections between words.

Pace contributes to the emotion being transferred to the reader (mentioning the effect on the reader is an important AO2 skill!!!), for example a quick pace may create adrenaline and excitement for the reader, and a slow pace may add a melancholic tone.
therealmcoy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
OK, here are some ideas:

-polysyndeton-when too many conjunctions are used e.g. the snow was white and crunchy and perfect. The effect is that it draws attention to each individual word and emphasizes them.

-asyndeton- the opposite of a polysyndeton. When not enough conjunctions are used. E.g. The air was thick, warm, suffocating, heavy. The effect is that it also emphasizes all the words and sort of gives the impression that the air was overwhelming. It can also emphasize that there is a large amount of something.

-alliteration- when the beginning letters/sounds of words are repeated. E.g. the broad, bulging bay. Alliteration makes the phrase more memorable and emphasizes the adjectives.

-sibilance- repetition of 's' sound. Hard to say what the effect might be- you have to apply it to the context of the poem

-assonance- when vowel sounds are repeated, e.g. I must confess that in my quest I felt depressed and restless (Thin Lizzy.) This slows down the mood of the poem and sometimes makes it more solemn. It also emphasize the words that have the repeated vowel sounds.

-onomatopoeia- words that are said how they sound, e.g. he squirted water in my face. Onomatopoeia gives a more vivid image of the scene.

-juxtaposition- when two things are placed next to each other but they are opposites. They contrast so both components are emphasized and the reader starts to make associations with each one.

-oxymorons- when opposite words are placed next to each other. E.g. bittersweet or the deafening silence. Very similar to juxtaposition. They can sometimes imply a state of confusion.

-varied sentence length- sometimes small sentences have a really big impact as they are sharp and short. They stand out from the rest of the sentences.

Sorry I haven't exactly explained these very well, but there is an excellent website called yourdictionary.com which can explain all of these examples much better than I can and gives lots of good examples.

It is hard to tell someone the effect of the literary techniques without knowing what poems they are doing, because each technique can have a different effect in each poem, relating to the context or the style the poet uses. The effect of most of the techniques is that it emphasizes particular words, you just need to relate this to the poem you are analysing and explain why each word is significant. It is a good idea if you talk about the connotations of each word, and what impression the connotations give to the reader, and how this makes the reader feel.

Hope this helped. If you are still confused, maybe you could mention which poems you have to do for your exams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (34)
15.11%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (69)
30.67%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (27)
12%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (19)
8.44%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (13)
5.78%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
26.67%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.33%

Watched Threads