The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I no longer see my friends from home sadly. My group of friends was very cliquey and I fell out with the 'head' of the group after she was an absolute bitch to me on holiday. So now when I go home I see 2 or 3 of my 'friends' for the odd drink, lunch, night out but we've got very little in common. My friends at uni are amazing, they opened my eyes to what friends should be. I've had more fun with them in the past 3 years than i've had with all my home friends for the whole time i've known them.

I think it's just a case of luck, if you're put with the right people be it at home or uni - you'll stay friends.
alexjoh1
it has been said in this thread how uni mates are for life, but for me, it doesn't seem possible... and i'm sure my scenario is pretty similar for most! i am in a friendship group at uni and there are 6 of us...1 from edinburgh, 1 from lemington spa, 2 from london, 1 from newcastle and myself, from the north west of england! now i have every intention moving after uni, as do my uni friends. when there are that many people in the one friendship group, and so many different places throughout the uk, how is it possible to retain such strong friendships? i don't think it is. it will be weekends visiting each other, and not very often at that. and then once you hit 30, there will be the 'big occasions' when you see each other...marriages, first borns, milestone birthdays... your friends at home can always be there, or at least for a significant period of time at christmas for example. now as said in previous message, my uni friends are the same as my home friends, but in different ways. i have come to the conclusion that for 3/4 years of my life i will be extremely close to my uni friends and will love with them etc. but after that, logistically it will not be possible to maintain such strong
friendships!

I was always told the friendships for life are the ones you make in the second year, and it seems to be going that way, my two best friends this year already seem to know me better than the 8 people i lived with last year. I am still mates with my old housemates but they are no where near as good friends as the ones i havethis year. In the first year people are thrust into friendships groups because of living together, by the end of the first year you can tell which of those friends you wish to keep and which you don't if any, in the second year you have time to make new friends or build on the ones you already have.
Reply 42
I can't really compare, as I actually have friends at uni. Not that I didn't have friends/acquaintances at home, but I've developed stronger relationships with people here. That's why I'm satying here for Xmas and New Year, there's nothing for me at home.
hippieglitter
I was always told the friendships for life are the ones you make in the second year, and it seems to be going that way, my two best friends this year already seem to know me better than the 8 people i lived with last year. I am still mates with my old housemates but they are no where near as good friends as the ones i havethis year. In the first year people are thrust into friendships groups because of living together, by the end of the first year you can tell which of those friends you wish to keep and which you don't if any, in the second year you have time to make new friends or build on the ones you already have.

not in my case, ive found the second years only shown that i made mistakes (friendship wise) in the first year, and that im with a group of people i dont like.

but theres still 2 terms to go! and its xmas eve! so im being positive

Latest

Trending

Trending