The Student Room Group

has anyone noticed this?

AS edexcel papers have become harder as the years have gone by.. Do you agree?

Scroll to see replies

yes I have noticed that in Maths
Oh definitely yeah! Last year's C1 was really hard compared to a few years back

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think that's because there's been a change in the cheif exam writer, and so he's made them harder.
All of the exams I sat seemed to be harder than the previous years, so I guess it's not just Maths.
Reply 5
Original post by Maths help

It's the same for all the other exam boards.
Original post by SeanFM
All of the exams I sat seemed to be harder than the previous years, so I guess it's not just Maths.

Agreed.

In ICT for example, there used to be some pretty straight forward questions in 2009. But in 2014 they made the questions unnecessarily deep.

For example: "if the classroom is the world wide web, where is the classroom as IT has the potential to revolutionise what we do with teaching and learning across all ages and levels."

:lolwut:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Agreed.

In ICT for example, there used to be some pretty straight forward questions in 2009. But in 2014 they made the questions unnecessarily deep.

For example: "if the classroom is the world wide web, where is the classroom as IT has the potential to revolutionise what we do with teaching and learning across all ages and levels."

Sounds like a philosophy paper to me. Sounds really difficult to answer.
Original post by SeanFM

Sounds like a philosophy paper to me. Sounds really difficult to answer.

I'm pretty sure the examiner had a lot of fun writing that question knowing that he wouldn't know how to answer it himself, huff. :mob:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Almost every student I have ever met insists their exams are the hardest.

However, there is some true in the perceived increase in difficulty. As a mathematics qualification ages, typical attainment improves due to the quantity of available past papers. The Chief Examiner is expected to respond to this by setting more non-standard questions.

This is one of the reasons why the Awarding Bodies are so eager for qualification reform. They believe the ideal lifespan of a specification is 5 to 7 years and never more than 10.
Original post by Maths help

Only in C4.

Original post by Mr M
Almost every student I have ever met insists their exams are the hardest.

However, there is some true in the perceived increase in difficulty. As a mathematics qualification ages, typical attainment improves due to the quantity of available past papers. The Chief Examiner is expected to respond to this by setting more non-standard questions.

This is one of the reasons why the Awarding Bodies are so eager for qualification reform. They believe the ideal lifespan of a specification is 5 to 7 years and never more than 10.

But as it seems, the syllabus only gets easier and easier.
Original post by simonli2575
But as it seems, the syllabus only gets easier and easier.

Not always. The 2017 specifications are slightly more challenging than the current ones.
Original post by Mr M
Not always. The 2017 specifications are slightly more challenging than the current ones.

I've heard the questions are a bit more challenging but otherwise the content is easier, such as M4 and M5 are no longer an option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
M4 and M5 are no longer an option.

Well yes but hardly anyone takes those modules anyway. The number of candidates is miniscule.
(edited 8 years ago)
the June 2013 Edexcel C3 paper was notorious... it was "celebrated" on video:

[video="youtube;NR_ltWGmcWc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR_ltWGmcWc[/video]
Original post by Mr M
Well yes but hardly anyone takes those modules anyway. The number of candidates is miniscule.

Still, they're challenging modules that will not be included in the new syllabus.
Original post by Mr M

n 0
Still, they're challenging modules that will not be included in the new syllabus.

You're missing the point. The vast majority of candidates will face increased challenge. The tiny minority who would have previously chosen to study more than two mathematics A Levels will not.
Original post by Mr M
You're missing the point. The vast majority of candidates will face increased challenge. The tiny minority who would have previously chosen to study more than two mathematics A Levels will not.

Fair enough.
Original post by Mr M

As one of those people doing M4 and M5, I'd like to think that all that is really being done, is making A-level Further Maths easier, by removing two of the hardest units from the options. Whilst also making A-Level maths harder, by introducing different things from the applied units

Quick Reply

Latest