General Elections 2015 : Green Party Scrap Student debt!! Your thoughts? Watch

B3uecq
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This will be my first time voting. I really do not know who I will be voting for. So obviously, a starting point would be reading their manifestos. In the Green Manifesto they say they will scrap student debt. Even though I know the chances of the Green Party being elected a quite slim it would be worth a shot. The other parties do not really have any specific to university students. Who are you guys voting for and why?
Devinely
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well I've missed the voting age by only a year and a bit, so while I can't vote I do still have my opinion on the student fee's.
While the thought of them being scrapped does sound quite appealing (surprisingly along with a few of their other policies) There overall agenda seems a bit unreal and at times stupid. There's also the fact that like with all their other policies they actually have no realistic way of paying for this.

My best bet is they would get all the money from the tax payers. Good while your in uni but as soon as you're out of it, it will suddenly seem like a waste of your hard earned money.

Personally if I was of voting age I would either go with the Conservatives, UKIP or just spoil my ballot.
B3uecq
Rep:
?
That was the same thing I got from reading their entire manifesto (I hates the neon green headings). I am leaning towards UKIP, even though the Conservatives do have good plans but it seems to be just the same thing they said 5 years ago. What are your thoughts on the SNP?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And then where do you make up for the reduced revenues?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's as good a reason as any to vote for someone.

Labour want to reduce fees to 6k.
B3uecq
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jammy Duel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
My guesses are through taxes- they stress on clamping down on tax dodgers.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
0% chance of the Greens having any influence, vote for something real.
B3uecq
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)

Labour want to reduce fees to 6k.
Yh but will that be applicable for the previous years?

I find the labour manifesto to be too wordy.
B3uecq
Rep:
?
(Original post by RayApparently)
Yh seems like tactical voting is the most likely strategy.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by B3uecq)
Yh seems like tactical voting is the most likely strategy.
Britain has bigger problems right now than student debt. Check out the MHoC General Election, I think you'll be impressed with what TSR Labour's vision.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My guesses are through taxes- they stress on clamping down on tax dodgers.
But the student loan is for all intents and purposes nothing more than a 9pc tax with a 21k threshold

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice.Guy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This exactly why students shouldn't be given the vote.
k4l397
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I personally like the policy of the greens and don't have an issue with them increasing taxes at all - there plans increase taxes at sensible income amounts that wouldn't force the poorest into poverty, but also ensures those that can pay more, do pay more. You can't expect good public services without some personal sacrifices - for example, look at what happened when the conservatives got in, many public services got much worse (from social care to the NHS which has slowly been privatised over recent years).

The Green's also plan to borrow but plan to invest the money into developing a greener economy, creating jobs etc. Even if you don't 100% agree with the policies of the green party, I can guarantee that any green party MP would stick to their policies - they wouldn't claim to be against cuts then go vote in favour etc.

However saying all that, unless you are in either a safe seat constituency where it won't make a difference who you vote for or a constituency where greens have a chance of gaining an MP (Brighton Pavilion, Bristol West...), it's not worth voting greens because of first past the post. Unfortunately it's a two horse race in some constituency (labour or tory) so unless you are voting for either of them your vote is pointless. Although if you support greens and are in a key seat then definitely worth voting.
Smug Life
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
They don't. They don't want austerity.
ChoccyPhilly
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Good idea but simply not feasible economically, like most of their policies, sadly
Maid Marian
Report 4 years ago
Let's go one step further and give everyone their degrees for free because that's what we're all entitled to, right? :rolleyes:
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Maid Marian)
Let's go one step further and give everyone their degrees for free because that's what we're all entitled to, right? :rolleyes:
Do you mean free from work or free of cost?

It used to be like that a couple of generations ago. My mum even made a profit. It is also like that in other rich western countries right now. I really don't understand why young people are so unquestioning of the motive or legitimacy of ever rising higher education costs being imposed on them by people who will never understand what it is like in a lower class or who they themselves benefited from free higher education that they are now pulling the draw bridge up.

Also you do realize UKIP's position on tuition fees is to make STEM degree's tuition free? Do you support that as a member of the purple tribe?
B3uecq
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nice.Guy)
This exactly why students shouldn't be given the vote.
I am 21. Care to explain what you mean?
demx9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
ye, if you're braindead
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by demx9)
ye, if you're braindead
such edge

(Original post by RayApparently)
Complete lack of awareness of your own party's history there.

Vote lib, anything else is a wasted vote.

I am 21. Care to explain what you mean?
He doesn't like the way you vote. Therefore you should be denied the right to vote.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (87)
13.2%
1 (89)
13.51%
2 (84)
12.75%
19.12%
22.15%
19.27%

Watched Threads